IGNORED

How many carry when on the road.

Condor

I noticed on another thread that there were a couple of members who carry firearms while riding. Even into Canada. I'm curious if this practice happens a lot or is it just a few??? I do have firearms in the house, but don't think I'd be inclined to carry while touring. :detective:

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not carry into Canada. I would not even drive a car with an NRA sticker across the border. They (their government) seem to be very hostile to anybody that takes responsibility for their own safety.

Now here in the Great state of Texas and other states it is a different story. I have carried when touring by myself. I carry in states besides Texas, but only when my concealed carry permit is recognized in that state. I have never had to use my weapon, or even show it to anybody to get out of a situation. I hope and pray everytime I take it with me that I never have to. I have been glad to have it on more than one occasion though. My only complaint is that it slightly damaged the paint on my tank by vibrating against the paint through the material of the tank bag.

The meaning of gun control to me is having a steady aim, and the knowledge of when and where to point the gun.

I USE TO CARRY EVERWHERE I WENT WHEN I LIVED IN BIRMINGHAM BUT WHEN I MOVED TO CHILDERSBURG 10 YEARS AGO I NO LONGER FELT THE NEED...........GOTA LOVE COUNTRY LIFE. BUT ALOT OF PEOPLE I RIDE WITH CARRY ALL THE TIME.....ME I JUST CARRY A KNIFE....UNLESS I'M GOING HUNTING BUT NEVER ON MY VENTURE:no-no-no:

I would not carry into Canada. I would not even drive a car with an NRA sticker across the border. They (their government) seem to be very hostile to anybody that takes responsibility for their own safety.

Now here in the Great state of Texas and other states it is a different story. I have carried when touring by myself. I carry in states besides Texas, but only when my concealed carry permit is recognized in that state. I have never had to use my weapon, or even show it to anybody to get out of a situation. I hope and pray everytime I take it with me that I never have to. I have been glad to have it on more than one occasion though. My only complaint is that it slightly damaged the paint on my tank by vibrating against the paint through the material of the tank bag.

The meaning of gun control to me is having a steady aim, and the knowledge of when and where to point the gun.

Gun control : proper sight alignment and trigger control

Nope. Never needed one; have'em at home if I do. And the random times I've been stopped, I'm glad I wasn't.

Lots of people I know carry; but most of the places ban CW's on site, so it's a pain to stow it in your bags. And I'd worry about more about it stowed on the bike than at home.

Wow..!! whatever happened to the old fist fight....:think:..

NOBODY carries guns up here in Ontario unless they are mixed up with gangs/drugs etc.... Our gov't is very tough on guns, everytime someone is shot dead with a handgun the topic of US border crossing(smuggling)of weapons is brought up.

So if you are coming up here to Ontario and you get searched at the boarder for whatever reason, be prepared for a loooong interogation about the weapon if they find one..and probably send you home too..

PS: you don't really need a gun up here, just looking like a motorcycle rider(ie leather, head band, biker boots etc....) intimidates 90% of the people you will encounter...the other 10% are real bikers who probably have guns hehehe...

Personally I think Canada has gone the wrong direction with gun control. I feel the USA has got it correct with the right to bear arms written into their constitution. We would probably probably have fewer people getting shot and other crimes commited with guns if Canada had done the same thing. Unfortunately people like the mayor of Toronto and other idiots with their heads shoved up their butts seem to see fit to want to take guns away from all Canadians. It 's like they think life ceases to exist beyond the limits of the big city. What they don't understand is in some rural areas they are essential for property and personal protection against predatory wildlife. In other situations they are necessary for hunting to put meat on the table in order to feed their family.

:soapbox:

Just my :2cents: worth.

Personally I think Canada has gone the wrong direction with gun control. I feel the USA has got it correct with the right to bear arms written into their constitution. We would probably probably have fewer people getting shot and other crimes commited with guns if Canada had done the same thing. Unfortunately people like the mayor of Toronto and other idiots with their heads shoved up their butts seem to see fit to want to take guns away from all Canadians. It 's like they think life ceases to exist beyond the limits of the big city. What they don't understand is in some rural areas they are essential for property and personal protection against predatory wildlife. In other situations they are necessary for hunting to put meat on the table in order to feed their family.

In the US you have the right to bear arms, in Ontario you have the right to bare breasts. I think we got the better deal of the two.

Being a retired cop, I'm aware of the futility of calling 911....in time,

or even being given the chance to do so by those who devise to harm you & yours.

It's very common, in many, many areas for law enforcement to have a 20-30 min response time. I am presently aware of several schools trying to resolve this problem. Many areas do not even have cell phone service.

Many people actually believe law enforcement agencies have some degree of responsibility regarding their personal safety and the safety of their loved ones. A dangerous & ridiculous thought.

Some good citizens do take responsibility for their safety and for the well being of loved ones, but they rarely reveal this status.

The Don't ask, Don't tell policy always works best.

Oddly, most [surviving] people only decide to take personal responsibility, after being raped, robbed, battered, losing a loved one to a Meth-Head in Podunk, their living room, grocery store parking lot, etc., but smart folks learn from the experiences of others.

I've known way too many such folks.

They became Boy Scouts, and learned their simple Motto: "Be Prerared".

Victims of serious crimes against their person ALWAYS neglected to make a responsible decision beforehand. In LE, they are often & coldly termed "Sheep".

Stuff DOES happen.....[to someone every 8 seconds]....but NOT to me or mine.

Good things come in very small & super light packages, these days.

I'm with Popeye on this. Police can't protect you. They would have to be there already in order to stop it. Mostly what they can do is investigate the crime after it has happened and hopefully apprehend those responsible. Little comfort in the case of murder. I have a CCW and always carry a snub nose .357 when away from home. I also have a firing range here on my property, so I can get all the practice I want. A state trooper told me that he always relaxes when he makes a traffic stop and find out the person has a permit because he knows they have been checked out from elbow to toenail and is a solid law abiding citizen. At least in a state that has concealed carry the criminals have no idea who is armed or more importantly not armed. You'd be surprised at the number of Grandmas around here that carry and know how to shoot. Also, living out in the country is no longer as safe as it once was. I live out in the country, 2 miles down a dirt road, and the only time I have ever had to use my gun was at my front gate late one night when I caught a known drug maker from the area trying to steal gas from my truck. I held him at gunpoint until the deputies got there and then laid the gun on the hood of the truck until they left. They told me I had done the right thing as this guy was known to be violent. So....to make a short post long...I carry while riding or anytime I am away from home.

Hey Stan would you go hunting with a 9mm browning.? or an AK47..? No, these are the weapons used by the gangs to kill each other and innocent bystanders.. I believe these are the weapons "they" are trying to eliminate from the streets, not your 30/30, 12 gauge shotgun, or any other rifle for the recreation hunter...

Comparisons

[edit] United States

Compared to the United States, Statistics Canada data have consistently demonstrated a substantially lower rate of violent crime, but similar rates of property crime[7]. For example, in 2000 the United States' rate for robberies was 65% higher, its rate for aggravated assault was double the Canadian rate, and its murder rate was triple.

Comparing this with data from the U.S Department of Justice, in recent years the gap between in crime rates between the United States and Canada has been narrowing: crime rates in the US have declined faster than those in Canada[8][9]. The current US murder rate is 2.5 times that of Canada per capita[10][11], down from about four times as high during the 1980s, the primary reason for this has been a drastic drop in US homicide rates with roughly steady Canadian rates. Approximately 70% of the total murders in the US are committed with firearms, vs. about 30% in Canada[11].

So do Americans carrying guns cause these numbers..? Or do Americans carry guns because of these numbers...???

Wow..!! whatever happened to the old fist fight....:think:..

NOBODY carries guns up here in Ontario unless they are mixed up with gangs/drugs etc.... Our gov't is very tough on guns, everytime someone is shot dead with a handgun the topic of US border crossing(smuggling)of weapons is brought up.

So if you are coming up here to Ontario and you get searched at the boarder for whatever reason, be prepared for a loooong interogation about the weapon if they find one..and probably send you home too..

PS: you don't really need a gun up here, just looking like a motorcycle rider(ie leather, head band, biker boots etc....) intimidates 90% of the people you will encounter...the other 10% are real bikers who probably have guns hehehe...

I have to agree with ya. Most of the time..and its kinda funny...people back away from me where ever Im at because of the perseption of what and who they think I am. Dont get me wrong....I will throw down with the best of them but when Im touring I do Keep a nasty blade tucked up underneath the bags......ya just never know. I figure that if Im gonna get into a scrape then most likely it will be a straight up street fight, bring it on. But if yer gonna try to rob me or something yer gonna get shanked.

In all the time and miles I've spent travelling on a motorcycle I can't remember one time that I thought "Gee I wish I had a gun right now" maybe I've just been lucky. The day I do feel I need a gun to be safe while travelling on my motocycle either in Canada or the U.S. is the day I find a new sport. Maybe I just travel different roads than others do?

I carry most of the time and always when traveling. It is my god give right and my right as a u.s citizen to protect myself my family my property and my fellow citizens. I would never cross into canada or mexico with or without a weapon I don't believe any government has the right to make it illegal for their citizens to protect themselves and I will not subject myself to their idiotic laws.