IGNORED

1983 xvz12 clutch fluid leak

hey all ok leaking clutch fluid from what i can see looks like it coming from hose seal where it attaches to slave valve or valve it self. dont want to take off gear cover yet cause im not sure if there is a gasket on that and i dont have one to put back on if i go to get parts . guess what im getting to is is it a big deal to pop that cover just to see whats going on or just get all parts first then do job. and who has least expensive hose and push valve . ill most likely just change everything any while im in there.

hey all ok leaking clutch fluid from what i can see looks like it coming from hose seal where it attaches to slave valve or valve it self. dont want to take off gear cover yet cause im not sure if there is a gasket on that and i dont have one to put back on if i go to get parts . guess what im getting to is is it a big deal to pop that cover just to see whats going on or just get all parts first then do job. and who has least expensive hose and push valve . ill most likely just change everything any while im in there.

Yes there is a gasket & when I did my slave I bought a replacement but didn't use it. I removed the cover gingerly & the cover came off without damaging the gasket.

I got a rebuild kit off Ebay and rebuilt the slave. Very easy to do. Here's a write up!

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66302

Here's my

:2cents: dont waste your time and money rebuilding the slave cylinder. It's pot metal at best and if there is any pitting or scoring inside the cylinder bore, your going to waste a rebuild kit. I replaced my slave on my '86 with a new one for about $70, brand new, didn't have to worry about it leaking. If your thinking about keeping this bike for any period of time, do yourself a favor and put a new one in.

• 2 weeks later...

just want to say thank you for great replys. when i found the fluid leak where the slave valve is located look like a major job, but with all your help i did the job with no problems took maybe 1 hour with couple coffee breaks and cooling breaks included . my garage isnt a/c'd and it was 90plus with about 90 humidty yesturday.. thanks again to all. now back to riding after waiting about 1 week for parts to come.

Here's my

:2cents: dont waste your time and money rebuilding the slave cylinder. It's pot metal at best and if there is any pitting or scoring inside the cylinder bore, your going to waste a rebuild kit. I replaced my slave on my '86 with a new one for about $70, brand new, didn't have to worry about it leaking. If your thinking about keeping this bike for any period of time, do yourself a favor and put a new one in.

i agree with Squidley don't waste your time and money get a new one and from the looks of it you didn't waste your time and money i bought a new one for my 99 RSTD my 84 Venture is looking good but will order one to have as a stand by for it when the time comes

just want to say thank you for great replys. when i found the fluid leak where the slave valve is located look like a major job, but with all your help i did the job with no problems took maybe 1 hour with couple coffee breaks and cooling breaks included . my garage isnt a/c'd and it was 90plus with about 90 humidty yesturday.. thanks again to all. now back to riding after waiting about 1 week for parts to come.

Mike that's what we are all here for. We got each others back!