IGNORED

Sold the RSTD

Stoutman

Sold the RSTD today. Actually traded it for a 2012 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager. I've been waiting for Yamaha to hang a new fuel injected v4 on the Venture and maybe update the technology to add ABS. Alas, the old RSTD needed a bunch of maintenance all at once so I gave in and bought the new tech from Kawasaki. Picked her up tonight with zero miles and put her away with 36 miles. Have to give her the standard break in for the next 964 miles, then I'm hitting the road for Colorado.

So, anybody want to buy some barely used slash cut RSTD pipes? I hung them in the shed 7 years ago and they are still there. Also found the stock seat. Make me an offer if you're interested.

Warmest regards,

Edited by Stoutman

Nice ride.... SWEEEEEEEEETTTTTT

:ice_awesome-vi46644:ice_congrats-vi6886

Yamaha needs to decide if they are going to continue to fall behind other makers...it's not just the touring bikes, it's all their bikes. They seem to be satisfied where they are..It is sad...I guess if our dealership gets Kawasaki I'll look at the Voyager when I get ready to get a newer bike... BUT my 05 only has 24k miles on so I got about 80k to go b4 i think about that and MAYBE by then YAMAHA will have seen the light..

Guest scarylarry

You will love this bike, if you didn't get the rear speakers you can get the kit for around 250.00 easy install too..

If you want more sound out the front speaker pack something like a peice of foam in the rear and that will pushed the music out more towards you...

The only draw back to this bike is the rear seat if you add a backrest and grasshopper is the only one I know of that don't require the seat to be cut...

Once that is on the seat gets narrow in the rear...

Luggage space you will have plenty don't let the skinny sidebags fool you..

Kawasaki makes a good bike. You'll like it. Now if we could get Yamaha to wake up. I won't be buying another Yamaha.

C'mon, NOBODY makes the same bike for 13 years !!! and NO UPDATES. I have come to the conclusion that Yamaha is run by a bunch of morons. The most expensive bike they make and they haven't even tried to update it with ABS or anything. And a major flaw in the design of the rear shock. They wonder why they sit on the floor of some dealers for a couple of years.

Guest scarylarry
Kawasaki makes a good bike. You'll like it. Now if we could get Yamaha to wake up. I won't be buying another Yamaha.

C'mon, NOBODY makes the same bike for 13 years !!! and NO UPDATES. I have come to the conclusion that Yamaha is run by a bunch of morons. The most expensive bike they make and they haven't even tried to update it with ABS or anything. And a major flaw in the design of the rear shock. They wonder why they sit on the floor of some dealers for a couple of years.

I'm going to bet you here..That this year there will be a change not saying you will like it...

Say a 25.00 gift certificate to somewhere like red lobster or outback?

I like the Kawasaki so far. I guess I should break it in before I post to much about it but I do miss the V4 a little. Of course, being limited to 2500 RPM for the next 400 miles puts a damper on the fun factor. I got the 6 year transferable warranty so I won't be doing much besides maintenance. The oil and filter is the same as the RSTD so the extra I have in the shed will get used.

The Kawasaki is very well mannered. It has a great sound right out of the box. The V twin is not obnoxious at all (still not that smooth V4). I was riding today on a major road under construction with uneven lanes and the Kawasaki tracked straight and true. It has Bridgestone Exceedra tires that I thought I would hate, but they are nothing like what came with the Yamaha, although I hear they don't last to long. It has fantastic brakes, fuel injection, and a radio. I'll take mama out tomorrow and get a report on the queen seat.

The old RSTD did need a lot of work. It needed a rear shock, two new tires, and I was a little late on the valve train service, all the break lines and clutch lines needed to be replaced (they looked fine but I'm going by the user manual service schedule). Instead of spending that money and time I did the trade and upgraded my ride. Maybe in 6 years Yamaha will upgrade their touring machine. They would sure have a leg up if they put a fuel injected V4 on an upgraded chassis and added some new technology.

Thanks for all your great comments. I guess I need to post some stuff in the VR classifieds. Certainly don't need that four channel manaometer to sync the carbs anymore.

Best regards,

Edited by Stoutman

Guest scarylarry

You might get 7k out of the tires if your lucky..

Michelin commander do make a set for the Kaw and so far I love them dry or wet..

The Brdgestones I had was the OEM had it not for mileage they would have great..