IGNORED

trouble with a wolo air horn

dueyk1111

installed awolo airhorn sunday morn, did everything accordingto what i"ve found in here,wired according to paper with horn,and what i"ve read in here! turned key on and horn beepedshort and sweetly without metouching the horn button,when i did pressthe horn button it worked fine! every time i turn the key on the horn beep"s.still have front one hooked up itchurp"s too. What did I miss or screw up:confused24:::confused07:

installed awolo airhorn sunday morn, did everything accordingto what i"ve found in here,wired according to paper with horn,and what i"ve read in here! turned key on and horn beepedshort and sweetly without metouching the horn button,when i did pressthe horn button it worked fine! every time i turn the key on the horn beep"s.still have front one hooked up itchurp"s too. What did I miss or screw up:confused24:::confused07:

This will be a stab in the dark, but I am good at that.

Does the relay you used have an 87A designation on the center contact. Only should have an 87A if relay has 5 contacts.

If it does have an 87A, are you wired to it?

If it does have the 87A and its used, I will go farther into what could be happening, if not, never mind the man behind the curtain.

Gary

Guess you are going to have to give us a 'play-by-play' of what is hooked to what, maybe with pictures, to help figure out the problem.

Also not quite sure of symptoms.

I think you are stating that the horn blows for 'just a second' when key turned on, then works ok with horn button. Please correct if this understanding is wrong.

no part # on relay. relay came with airhorn. Pink wire from org.wiringto post-85 on relay, same as wiring diagram on instal paper came with horn. brown wire from bike to post-86, same aswiring paper,new wire from + side of batt,14ga, to post #30 on relay,is 20amp fused,post 87 to + side of horn, new wire from - sdf batt t - side of horn. maybe cheap relay. dont remember which sight i got wiring instructions from . but it all jives:confused24:

no part # on relay. relay came with airhorn. Pink wire from org.wiringto post-85 on relay,

pink wire at the horn is the orginal wire from horn button that receives a ground when the horn button is pressed. This should go to coil of the relay. Pin 85 is correct

same as wiring diagram on instal paper came with horn. brown wire from bike to post-86, same aswiring paper,

The brown wire at the horn is the orginal wire that has +12v on it when key is on. Power comes from signal fuse. This should go to coil of the relay. Pin 86 is correct

new wire from + side of batt,14ga, to post #30 on relay,is 20amp fused,

This would be a new dedicated wire for the horns and correctly fused, although 20amp is likely a little higher than needed. Should be on a COMM contact of the relay. Pin 30 is correct

post 87 to + side of horn,

This would be a new dedicated wire to take power from relay any apply to horns. Should be on N.O. contact of relay. Pin 87 is correct.

new wire from - sdf batt t - side of horn.

This is a new wire from ground (battery -), to apply ground to the horn.

maybe cheap relay. dont remember which sight i got wiring instructions from . but it all jives

Your description of the wiring appears to be correct, Not quite understanding what the problem you are having is, but maybe some loose wiring issue-maybe at the TWO connections you made at the battery, or defective crimps for SPADE electrical terminals.

What type of fuse and fuse holder did you use? Is fuse tight in it?

Do you have the OE horns still hooked up? How?

OK,

If I understand, the horn honks for just a second when the key is first turned on, then after the second is up, the horn does not honk UNLESS the horn button is pressed, then it does honk correctly. This did not happen with the stock horns.

If this is correct, there is a voltage spike of another component or wire, that is providing electromagnetic force on the relay when the key is first turned on. This will be caused by something very, very physically close to the relay.

The easiest fix would be to move the relay physically somewhere else, Just a couple of inches should do, maybe even just flip it 180deg.

I would also recommend to install a diode across the coil of the relay to drain static power pulses. See attachment, the band of diode would go to pin 85 of your relay.

OK,

I would also recommend to install a diode across the coil of the relay to drain static power pulses. See attachment, the band of diode would go to pin 85 of your relay.

The diode idea is certainly worth a try, but it could actually make the problem more noticeable.

In my train signal design years with Conrail, one of the ways that a relay could be made 'Slow Release' is by snubbing it with a diode. If relay were to be slow release, then the horn will operate a second or so after it has had current removed.

Looked over the RSV schematic, and I don't see an obvious cause for this.

Gary

front horn behind left front fairing is still hooked up, but i wouldnt think that would matter. it also honks when you turn the key on.with the airhorn unhooked,front horn work"sthe way it"s supposed to, thats what makes me think it"s the relay

disconect 85 and 86 wires from the relay.

Does horn still honk when you turn the key on?

If yes, then your problem has nothing to do with the new horn. It is something else on the bike.

If no, the connect one of the wires back to the relay.

Test for honk on power up.

Let us know and well go from there.

unhooked pink wire ,turned key on, nohorn honk! pink wire back on, brown off,no horn honk when turn on key, but relay clicked when i pushed the horn button!took off pink wire to check if relay clicked when i pushed the horn button, no click when i pushed the horn button. when i went to put pink wire back on{with key off}touched pink wire to relay,made relay click. is pink wire hot or ground for horn? dont have alot of time to dink with at nite or during week cause of work ,doing what i can. weekend is 1 day away!!!!will have more time to really dig into it.Really appreciate all the help so far!:fingers-crossed-emo:fingers-crossed-emo:fingers-crossed-emo

unhooked pink wire ,turned key on, nohorn honk!:thumbsup2:

pink wire back on,

brown (should be +12v) off,no horn honk when turn on key, :thumbsup2:

but relay clicked when i pushed the horn button!:confused07::doh:

relay coil must be getting some sneak +12v from another wire still hooked up, likely new wire on pin 30 has +12v. There might be some kind of internal wiring causing this problem on purpose, such as a special purpose time delay relay. We would not want or need any such special purpose. Suggest go to auto parts and ask for a BOSCH standard 12v 4or5 pin relay.

took off pink wire to check if relay clicked when i pushed the horn button, no click when i pushed the horn button.:thumbsup2:

when i went to put pink wire back on{with key off}touched pink wire to relay,made relay click. :doh:

Looks like the pink wire is providing at least a partial ground, with button is pressed or not. Verify with ohm meter-pink wire off relay, red meter lead on pink, black meter lead on battery minus- read OHMS and scale down until highest reading on scale(record), then press horn button and read same way again(record)

Just thought of something, earlier you said front OE horn still stock. I suspect feedback thru OE horn. Disconnect both wires from it, then try airhorn & relay again. Will explain if this fixes issue, and explain how to hook OE back up.

is pink wire hot or ground for horn?

PINK is supposed to be ground from, and only when button is pressed

finally had time to work on bike! took front lowers off,unpluged oem horn, everything work"s fine now! must have been feed back through oem horn. soon asi pluged it back in , things went haywire again! sew, oem horn will stay unpluged till this fall when i can strip things down and maybefind the reason for the feedback! THANKS toEVERYONE for their HELP andPATIENCE!!!!! go"n ride"n tonite and again tommorow.Go"n to mad city to quaker steak an lube for lunch. FEW from the neighborhood want to ride and eat. couple hour ride each way the way i go, for me it"s the journey, not the destination! THANKS again for everyones help- with my prob.:cool10::cool10::cool10::cool10:

must have been feed back through oem horn.

:thumbsup2: Great job!

Reason oem horn was allowing feedback, is because both it and the new relay coil were both wired to the pink button wire. To fix the problem, unhook the orginal wiring from the oe horn, (tape it up and tuck it back into the harness), and wire it up to the same relay, the same way as the new air horn. That way when the relay powers up, it applies power to both horns, and both horns have a direct ground on their other side.

• 10 months later...