IGNORED

Is the 2nd Gen heavier than the 1st Gen.

calperin

Since I never had the chance to really carry it, and finished to purchased one this is the big detail I forget on this:

HOW HEAVY IS THE 2ND GEN IN COMPARATION WITH THE 1ST GEN?

I know that is much heavier than my 1997 RS, but don't know the difference.

Well, from what I can see in the Venture History link at the top of the page, the RSV Dry weight is 807 lbs and the Curb Weight for the 1st gen is 751 lbs with full tank.

If I remember right, a gln of gasoline is 6.073lbs. And the 1st gen fuel capacity is 5.4 gals. So the 1st gen dry weight is aprox 718 lbs.

Bill

Their pretty close as for weight but the Second Gen. is lower to the ground(seat wise) than the First gen. making it feel much more heavy as your knees are bent more than on the First Gen.

Also the Second Gen. the fuel tank is above the motor as to where on the First Gen. its under the seat so that there alone will make a big difference too.

I know the Second Gen. is a bear to pick up when its down to the crash bars don't ask me how I know :doh::whistling:

main reason I went back to the Wing is it sits much higher than the Second Gen. I am able to keep my knees almost straight when I come to a stop as to where the Second gen. it killed my knees being it sits so low I could not get my legs under me when at stops which in turn put a lot of pressure on my knees.

if not for my knees I still have my Second gen.!!

Their pretty close as for weight but the Second Gen. is lower to the ground(seat wise) than the First gen. making it feel much more heavy as your knees are bent more than on the First Gen.

Also the Second Gen. the fuel tank is above the motor as to where on the First Gen. its under the seat so that there alone will make a big difference too.

I know the Second Gen. is a bear to pick up when its down to the crash bars don't ask me how I know :doh::whistling:

main reason I went back to the Wing is it sits much higher than the Second Gen. I am able to keep my knees almost straight when I come to a stop as to where the Second gen. it killed my knees being it sits so low I could not get my legs under me when at stops which in turn put a lot of pressure on my knees.

Buddy,

How tall are you? I'm about 5' 8". Never had problems with my knees, but I remember that trying to move the First Gen was a pain when engine not runs. That is by know my concern. According with the manual the 97 RS is around 700 lbs, but it seems to be lighter than that. And moving it or trying to raise it with the crash bars doesn't seem to be a big issue. I 'm most concern on stops. However, it comes with the lower level link, and that is supposed to make it lower. Is that correct?

Hmmmm......Buddy, I don't quite understand. The RSV seat height is 29.5 inches according to Yamaha's specs. And my short legs seemed to confirm that this is very close to actual (on my 99). My 2003 Goldwing measures out almost exactly the same, depending on where my preload is set.

Is it possible that you are running your preload at the max on your Wing, and that your RSV had a "tired" rear suspension? Or do you have a non-stock seat on your Wing that raises you up?

I know that my 28" inseam is happier on the Wing than it was on the RSV. I seemed to have to tippy-toe more on the RSV.

Joe

Since I never had the chance to really carry it...HOW HEAVY IS THE 2ND GEN IN COMPARATION WITH THE 1ST GEN?

I know that is much heavier than my 1997 RS, but don't know the difference.

Lets answer this a different way....

Yes, you can go with statistics comparing a "brand new" 1st Gen to a "brand new" 2nd Gen...but that doesn't give you the whole picture.

Because 1st Gen's are antiques... they are more prone to break down than a 2nd Gen. I can understand why you'd have to "carry" a 1st Gen... but on a 2nd Gen, all you do is ride !

:rasberry: :rotf:

Lets answer this a different way....

Yes, you can go with statistics comparing a "brand new" 1st Gen to a "brand new" 2nd Gen...but that doesn't give you the whole picture.

Because 1st Gen's are antiques... they are more prone to break down than a 2nd Gen. I can understand why you'd have to "carry" a 1st Gen... but on a 2nd Gen, all you do is ride !

:rasberry: :rotf:

XV1100SE,

Actually the only reason why I carried my VR84 is because I didn't ride it since I purchase the RS97. Then yesterday I found a valve issue on the front tire, and trying to move it with the front tire flat it was a really big adVENTURE...

That is what it make me think about what about the new one...

:confused24::confused24::confused24::confused24::confused24::confused24::confused24::confused24::confused24::confused24::confused24:

Trying to move any big bike, with a flat tire, is an adventure. Even if it's not a big bike it's an adventure.

Yes, the stock bike comes with the links that make it sit an inch lower to the ground than does an RSV with leveling links. Now there are also lowering kits out there that will lower the rear. Then you lower the forks in the Tree as well.

The 1st gen may actually be lighter in weight. However, haveing just bought an 08 RSTD, which is heavier then my old 89 1st gen. My impression is that the new one is eaiser to handle in and out of the garage, and parking space's. I will attribute this to the fact that the weight is destributed lower on the entire bike.

ie: a lower center of gravity. It really does make a difference !

So my comment to your question is, yes the 2nd gen is heavier, but feels lighter !!

Also, I will say, its a much better handling bike on the road, in all respects. And I make these comments after rideing a 1st gen for 19 years.

Frankly, I love the new 08, its comfortable, handles great ( and supposedly better after the front tire is replaced with a smaller width tire ) drives like a dream, and the brakes are also better.

(( I know, I have stirred up a hornets nest here, { Sorry ! " )) :whistling::whistling:

Georges,

I remember that somebody from the group a couple of years ago, also replace the front wheel for a narrow wide and he was totally happy with that.

Also, he was really shorter than me, so I'm confident that if the lower links are there, everything will be fine.

I know what you mean about the fact of the RS being much lighter to ride than the VR 84. I have the same feeling with my RS97

Thanks,

Hmmmm......Buddy, I don't quite understand. The RSV seat height is 29.5 inches according to Yamaha's specs. And my short legs seemed to confirm that this is very close to actual (on my 99). My 2003 Goldwing measures out almost exactly the same, depending on where my preload is set.

Is it possible that you are running your preload at the max on your Wing, and that your RSV had a "tired" rear suspension? Or do you have a non-stock seat on your Wing that raises you up?

I know that my 28" inseam is happier on the Wing than it was on the RSV. I seemed to have to tippy-toe more on the RSV.

Joe

Hey Joe,

Missed you at ST. Charles..

My inseam is 32 and my preload on my 90 Wing is 25 so no its not maxed out but I am tip toeing at stops as for the seat its stock and for the Second Gen. it could have been weak since I replaced the rear shock three times one being a used one preload was set around 35

I could have went back with a 1800 Wing but I could not see making payments now days so I went back with the 1500 when my tranny went out on the Valkyire:(

As for my knees if I climb a ladder after a few times they hurt like :225: so that kinda tells how my knees are not as young as I used to be:bang head:

Hey Joe,

My inseam is 32 and my preload on my 90 Wing is 25 so no its not maxed out but I am tip toeing at stops as for the seat its stock and for the Second Gen. it could have been weak since I replaced the rear shock three times one being a used one preload was set around 35

I could have went back with a 1800 Wing but I could not see making payments now days so I went back with the 1500 when my tranny went out on the Valkyire:(

As for my knees if I climb a ladder after a few times they hurt like :225: so that kinda tells how my knees are not as young as I used to be:bang head:

hey buddy, you still got knees? i think they are on the list of things that go when you turn 69. i have just about used up the whole list. getting ready for a subscribtion to playboy. before the eyes go. :rotf::rotf::depressed: :sign29:

Hey Joe,

AHA!!! I missed the fact that you have a 1500 Wing. You're right, the seat is higher on the 1500 than on either the 1800 or the RSV. My 1500 was a bigger challenge for me than my current 1800.

I really really wanted to come to Bill's, but the old 'job' thing got in the way. Unavoidable unless I wanted early retirement....way early and not affordable!!

Joe

If I remember right, a gln of gasoline is 6.073lbs. And the 1st gen fuel capacity is 5.4 gals. So the 1st gen dry weight is aprox 718 lbs.

Bill

And I guarantee you that when you fill up the tank on a G2, when you 1st ride away from the pump, you KNOW you have added that 30(something) pounds to the top of this beast!!!:shock3::cool10: