Cool kit was revised 2 times. Second revision included larger hole in the bolt and the wire in the hole to prevent clogging. If you were able to "open" the hole, then I suspect you do not have the wire installed. This could add to your coolong problem.

The kit pn was 90891-30014. I found a NOS kit on ebay for mine.

Is it safe to assume that this wire is loose in there and the fact that it moves is what prevents clogging??

Also...if I were to buy a hi output stator, is it necessary to replace the RR as well.

Is it safe to assume that this wire is loose in there and the fact that it moves is what prevents clogging??

Also...if I were to buy a hi output stator, is it necessary to replace the RR as well.

im not sure about wire...but, from my conversations with others here, its best to replace both stator and r/r at same time.

here are some more pics of housing/generator. it looks as if there are 3 bolts inside there, and the heads have been shaved off....no idea what this means. maybe the screws that are holding the stator in are rubbing againt them....help?

I think you are looking at the bottom end, of your staked in starter clutch allen bolts, where the heads are on the back side of the rotor.

I would bet some Money on the Fact that the Screws ribbing at the Rotor aren't the Culprit.

I had this while figuring out the Starter Clutch Mod, never had a Problem except that it shouldn't be that way. The Stator Screws are not that hard, they'll deform and ribbing is History. The three Bolts which come from behind the Rotor keep the Starter Clutch in Place, those are 10.9 Bolts, much tougher than the 4.6 Grade Phillips of the Stator.

The empty M8 Threads take the Bolts for the Rotor Puller.

I'm back on the road again. Carl had a stator "just layin around" It is older and a little dark on about half the coils but they don't look at all burnt just stained. Tested out OK. He had changed his out at some point and couldn't REMEMBER WHY... I think sometimers is setting in. Anyhow we took a chance and put that stator in my bike.

Interesting evening. I rode the bike on the battery to his house.

We took it apart. This was easy. Both of us have done this a few times.

We didn't catch all the oil when taking the covers off. (picture large puddle of oil covered in sawdust)

Then the gasket broke while we were trying to get the old stator out.

Then we stripped a bolt putting the new stator into the stator cover.

Then we had to take Carl's cage to my house ( I really don't like riding Bi$ch)

I happened to have a gasket (not sure why)

I happened to have a few covers one of which was is pretty good shape

I also happened to have oil (bought some while on sale)

So this is a little over an hour round trip.

Then the biggest hassle was getting the old gasket off the "new" cover.. I don't know what they used to stick them on but is is baked into place.

After all that it went back together very smoothly .

Charging like a champ and I'm a happy camper.. In fact it seems to be putting out as much if not more than the (High Output) RM Stator that was in it..

THANK YOU CARL!!!!

AND THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS.

I'll be ordering a new stator and probably will be adding that job to my "winter projects list"

What is your plan for a ride then ?

One of the other ones, he owns, most likely the yellow one. HAHA His wife was trying to sell them all HAHA

Carl had a stator "just layin around" It is older and a little dark

Go figure. :think:

Brad

i, personally, have the bolt with the punch mark AND oil deflectors. still burning up stators. just removed the cover, almost half of stator is smoked! again.

If you are running a stock R&R, this is the problem. The stock R&R runs the stator at full output all the time. the Upgraded version does not. Stock my wires to the coils were always too hot to touch comfortably, now they are as cool as everything else. The Stock R&R from the 1980's is really a very bad design that helps destroy Stators.

If you are running a stock R&R, this is the problem. The stock R&R runs the stator at full output all the time. the Upgraded version does not. Stock my wires to the coils were always too hot to touch comfortably, now they are as cool as everything else. The Stock R&R from the 1980's is really a very bad design that helps destroy Stators.

i wasnt running stock r/r, bought the entire kit from earl. 1 time replaced both stator and r/r, second time only stator...the r/r checked out ok...at least one side did. now, going with ricks and shindigen...waiting on gaskets to set (5pm)...then i fire it back up. moved shindigen to front of bike.:fingers-crossed-emo