IGNORED

All I Was Doing Was Adjusting The Passing lights!!

KeithR

Ok So it was not a riding day yesterday so I decided To Adjust my Passing Lights. I had one adjusted last night and and gave up on the second. I went back at the second this AM and got it close enough and when I went to Secure everything.....nothing....no lights!

After removing the fairing I checked the fuse I put in the power line by the battery and it was blowen.......Off I go to get a fuse thinking that was my problem. I put in a new fuse and I have power as far as the replay But nothing coming out of it.

When I was adjusting the lights I would always have the key off when putting the lamp back in the holder so I didn't short it out that way. And the only movement was moving the lamp housing for adjustment and the darn signal lights turning a little.

I have power to the relay #30 & #86 but nothing at #87.

"I have no clue about wiring" just checking the basics!

Does it sound like a relay issue? The new fuse did not blow?

Any Idea Electrical Wizards Out There !!!!!

Thanks

Keith

Yep when I ground #85 I can hear the relay click.

Keith

Disconnect the wires at 30 and 87. There are two tests here. First put an ohm meter on pins 30 and 87. Grounding 85 (relay clicks) should cause the ohm meter to show continuity. If so the relay is ok. Second test jump or connect the wires from pins 30 and 87 together. The lights should come on. If not or if they bolw the fuse look for a problem in the lights.

Mike

I don't have an OHM meter so I went to test 2.....with the relay removed

When I jump the #30 & #87 nothing happems - the fuse did not blow........but I did touch the light bar with my grounded test light and it did light up ?

Keith

I don't have an OHM meter so I went to test 2.....with the relay removed

When I jump the #30 & #87 nothing happems - the fuse did not blow........but I did touch the light bar with my grounded test light and it did light up ?

Keith

It doesn't look like a relay problem. Make sure the power feed going to pin 30 is good. Double check the connections etc. Reconnect the wire to pin 30 but not 87. Connect one end of your test light to pin 87 the other end to ground. With the ignition key on turning your passing light switch on and off should cause your test light to cycle.

Mike

If you are picking up power for the relay trigger under the fairing using a scotch lock connector that's the first place you should look, those connectors are notorious for failing. Will show power but not pass enough amperage to light the lamps. Or you have a bad ground .

Hi Jay

All Connections are soldered & heatshrinked..

I have good power at # 30 but nothing happens at #87 when cycling the switch. Now I'm making am assumption that is with the relay not plugged in or maybe it won't work with it not plugged in. Like I say I'm no electrician!

Keith

Here is the thing.

A) With the wires from #30 and 87 jumped together the relay is out of the circut and the lights should come on. If they don't there is either a problem with the power from the fuse or in the wireing through the lightbar.

B) Next hearing the relay click should connect pin 30 to 87. So power at pin 30 should be transfered to pin 87 and 87a. If the power is at 30 but does not transfer to 87 when the relay clicks that would usualy indicate a burned out contact inside the relay.

So either you have two problems or I am missing something.

Mike

but I did touch the light bar with my grounded test light and it did light up ?

Keith

You have power to and THRU the bulbs all the way back to the case of the light bar indicated by test light lighting when touching the case of the light bar.

The case of the light bar is not grounded......

check/adjust the hardware attachments.

I would add a seperate dedicated ground wire from case of light bar to frame ground.

Maybe (likely)you have power skipping a bulb and going straight to the case of the light bar. (short of bulb socket to case). If so, when you ground the case of the light bar you will blow a fuse again. Pull bulbs back out and inspect center contact of socket not touching case of socket.

I guess the best thing for me to do is to strip the light bar wiring and eliminate that as a source. Seeing that I was adjusting the lamps slightly I must have made something happen.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Stay Tuned!!!!

Keith

Ok as soon as I run a ground from the light bar to the bike I blow the fuse. Checked wires and look ok so far ?

Keith

What better way to spend Fathers Day hey !!

Ok......found a broken blk wire....assume ground....going to left signal light.....maybe ??????

Edited by KeithR

Ok as soon as I run a ground from the light bar to the bike I blow the fuse. Checked wires and look ok so far ?

Keith

What better way to spend Fathers Day hey !!

Ok......found a broken blk wire....assume ground....going to left signal light.....maybe ??????

blk wire may be ground (black color ~usually~ is), but it is likely pinched, or otherwise shorted with the hot(red or white) wire, maybe at the left signal light housing. Also maybe center contact of a bulb socket is not correct and touching the socket wall. Remove bulbs to inspect

Hey Brian

I soldered the wire in the left signal and all is well......Am I correct in assuming the bar gets it ground when bolted to the bike ? I checked the bulbs in the housings and all is good.

Keith

Hey Brian

I soldered the wire in the left signal and all is well......Am I correct in assuming the bar gets it ground when bolted to the bike ? I checked the bulbs in the housings and all is good.

Keith

:thumbsup2: good job getting it fixed.

If it is just a 1 wire housing, then the broken black wire was the hot wire (exception to black color being ground), and YES, the bar would get its ground from the bolts to the bike.

I think so. I belive the ground for the light bar is thru the bolts to the forks. While your in there messing around make sure your wire bundle is up out of the way of the fork stops. I was messing with the fairing and had the lights off and wires pushed around etc. When I turned the forks one way I pinched the wires on the stop. Everything workd OK till a couple days later I guess I put the handlebars on the stop to get out of the garage or something and pop, no lights. I temp fixed them and tied them up out of the way. I had the fairing apart here a couple months back for an HID conversion and fixed them correctly and rerouted them.