Yes.. I ordered 2 of those o-rings with the order. I just wasn't sure if we were talking about the same ones. Thanks guys ..as always I appreciate the help.

On a side note... I took it out for a ride today..and it didn't leak. On again..off again... dang gremlins...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it seems to be leaking in the morning when it is cool. Once I ride it, it doesn't leak. Expansion and contraction... just like my wallet...:confused24:

Yup, been there done that, burned the t-shirt.

That is what the o-rings do. shrink when they get cool and expand when warm.

I replace the thermostat cover the plastic elbow from the water pump and all of the orings.

No more leaks from around there.

Now just the freeze plug leaks:bang head:

My wallet seems to only have contraction, I seem to be missing the expansion part......

Edited by Flyinfool

So I received all the new gaskets and o-rings.... and all the leaking has stopped... AND.. I just know that as soon as I take it apart to replace the now non-leaking parts, "sumthin" (bad) is gonna happen... :crying:

Its not leaking cuz it is not cooling off. Remember? it only leaks when cold.

My temp gauge was already off the pin before I even started it the last few days.:225:

Well when you take it apart, and you are in that deep, maybe you should look at..............:duck:

Its not leaking cuz it is not cooling off. Remember? it only leaks when cold.

My temp gauge was already off the pin before I even started it the last few days.

Well when you take it apart, and you are in that deep, maybe you should look at..............:duck:

Good point on the temp issue. It has been 108/109 here every day and hot in the garage. When it's parked in there. :scorched:

AND DON'T SAY IT .!!:shock3:...DO NOT SAY IT...!!!! :no-no-no:

DO NOT IN ANYWAY SHAPE OR FORM SAY IT :crying:........!!! NO ..NO ..NO....bang%20head.gif Im%20not%20listening%20to%20you.gif

:buttkick:

Good point on the temp issue. It has been 108/109 here every day and hot in the garage. When it's parked in there. :scorched:

DO NOT IN ANYWAY SHAPE OR FORM SAY IT :crying:........!!! NO ..NO ..NO....bang%20head.gif Im%20not%20listening%20to%20you.gif

But its perfect riding weather here.............:stickpoke:

IT!

IT!

IT!

IT!

AND

IT!

There, I said "IT"!

So as long........................

• 3 months later...
OK guys, I need directions on how to remove the pipe for o-ring #25.

The clamp bolt is out and a little persuasion with a pry bar didn't move the pipe. Is there a trick?

:confused24:

I know someone has removed this pipe and can give me a little help . . . :confused:

Bump...since I will be doing my 87 and 89 this winter..

If you are talking about the pipe that is fitted in the base of the thermostat housing, held by a clamp and sealed with an o-ring, then it should just pull out once the clamp is removed.

It is a simple push fit in the housing.

Persuade it!

You might also try to put a small hose clamp on it to pry it in a different spot.:2cents::D

The other thing you can do is disconnect it from the far right hose (as you look at it), and the short vertical hose above the valve.

That will let it wiggle around much more easily.

Soooo.... Because my plastic thermostat cover(#28) is warped and leaking and needs to be replaced, I must purchase:

2 #22 orings

1 #29 oring

1 #28 cover

1 #27 seal

1 thermostat NAPA #156

1 #25 oring for the pipe into the housing

I am a firm believer in "if it ain't broke..." however, it sure looks like I'm going have to remove the right front exhaust pipe in order to get in there to work. Is this a necessary evil, or is there a better way?? Also, how hard is it to get the various hoses that connect the pieces together?? Just in case...!!

And finally, because I am always curious, I will ask the question :confused24:- Since I'll be in there anyway... :whistling: You're up, Jeff!! :cool10:

Yes, the right front exhaust pipe must come off. I've found that it's a little easier to get out if you loosen the exhaust chamber mounting bolts 3-4 turns so that the chamber can move down a bit. I've usually been able to re-use the exhaust gaskets.

Frank D

Soooo.... Because my plastic thermostat cover(#28) is warped and leaking and needs to be replaced, I must purchase:

2 #22 orings

1 #29 oring

1 #28 cover

1 #27 seal

1 thermostat NAPA #156

1 #25 oring for the pipe into the housing

I am a firm believer in "if it ain't broke..." however, it sure looks like I'm going have to remove the right front exhaust pipe in order to get in there to work. Is this a necessary evil, or is there a better way?? Also, how hard is it to get the various hoses that connect the pieces together?? Just in case...!!

And finally, because I am always curious, I will ask the question :confused24:- Since I'll be in there anyway... :whistling: You're up, Jeff!! :cool10:

Am I that bad..........:whistling:

but now that you mention it, as long as you are there, check the plastic 90° elbow that goes from the t'stat to the water pump on the right side, look real close for a small nick right on the bend. See post #12 and #14.

Good time for the starter brush grounding job since the t'stat housing has to come out to get the starter out.

As for hoses, most are not available, but you can get close enough by taking the old hose to an auto parts place and searching for something close enough to cut to fit.

Thanks, Jeff. I just knew you were waiting for someone to ask!! :cool10:

Next question... since I'll be in there anyway.... with the header out of the way... does the starter come out easily?? Just a couple of bolts, and it pops right out?? :confused07: Right?? :confused:Yes?? :depressed:

uhggg i woke up this morning to 38 degree weather that was ok when i put red to bed last night under her cover it was 55 that was ok but when i took reds cover off her this morning i didn't have just a puddle i dam near had a creek under her and she was still leaking a steady drip i could not see where she was leaking from i took the cap off and she started to flow out of the rad. now my overflow is empty so i cranked it up man she was cold natured she did not want to get up this morning so after choking it for 5 min. she finally came to life and no more leak that's after a smoke and coffee :whistling: i rode it 8 miles to my wife's work to get the suburban since she so kindly gave her car back to the stealer Monday is this somethng that will continue to give me problems even after i change #22,#25 ,#29 and the plastic pipe the hoses look good but looks can be deceiving i know and yes Jeff while im in that far i dont know if the starter upgrade has been done but i will find out just did not want to have to go that deep before its time

It took me 2 years to actually catch mine in the act of dripping/leaking.

You missed a golden opportunity to track the actual source of the leak while it was in the act of leaking. I took so long to catch it in the act of leaking because I hate to just start replacing parts and hope that the problem goes away. I prefer a positive diagnosis and a single repair.

As to wether replacing #22,#25 ,#29 and the plastic pipe will fix the problem? Only if they are the problem.

As long as you will be in there.............:duck:

thanks Jeff i have to take the suburban back to my wife so maybe i will get a 2nd chance at this as it was i was running late and had an emergency call at McDonald's this morning so i had to run i picked up a gallon of anti freeze to top it off so i can get back to the house tonight

We had our first cold spell last night. Started mine up then shut he down... walked back out and low and behold.. my leak is back. :crying:

Well I have the parts to (hopefully) fix it, so guess this is the time to do that. :shock3:

Also lost the clutch , so the slave cylinder gets rebuilt too !

Edited by KIC