I looked closely at the parts breakdown and the #25 is the o-ring for the bypass valve. I need the o-ring for the bypass tube at the base of the thermostat. No listing. Picked up a very close match at Ace Hardware and installed it today. I removed the tube by rocking it with a pair of channel-locks while gently prying with a small pry bar.

I refilled with coolant and ran it for a short time. No leak. Thought it was done . . . Nope, after a few hours I found a dime-sized drop on the floor. :depressed:

I plan on riding it to church tomorrow to see if heating up and cooling down might seal the o-ring. Wish me luck!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is like mine, it doesn't leak while sitting overnight, but it will once it is started for a few minutes and stops. It was not the o-ring for the drain valve pipe but the thermostat cover.

I think you may be right. I had replaced the thermostat housing and seal last spring and it appears to be leaking now. The question is . . . Why is it leaking again?

:confused24:

Everything I have read on the forum indicates that from the heat the thermostat cover warps and leaks I had thought as you that the pipe was the culprit till I removed the lower panel and then started it cold and checked it. I could then see a slight leak at the front of the housing maybe the housing wasn't cleaned well or the cover wasn't seated correctly could even be loose bolt or a hose clamp

Edited by Hawg

So ...these o-rings are all Stealer ordered ? Not match em at Ace Hdwr ?

I have the diagram and numbers for those...but I can not find in the manual the part (o-ring?) for the tube going into the front of the thermostat from the valve.

OK, I replaced the small o-ring on the by-pass tube after I found a really good selection of o-rings at Ace Hardware. This small one was $1.09. The leak was better, not fixed. Removed the thermostat housing, because it looked like coolant was running down the front and onto the by-pass tube, and found the o-ring that I installed last spring had two flat spots (??!?). Back to Ace Hardware and found an exact replacement o-ring for $2.89. I added a thin layer of silicone gasket sealer on the flange that meets the engine case. I let the bike sit overnight with the thermostat housing installed and no coolant. This morning I finished assembling and filled with coolant. 75 miles later and still dry.

:cool10:

It's Baaaack..:shock3:

I have put off repairing the leak since last year. It hasn't been around. We have had such nice weather, it hasn't been cold enough to start leaking...until last night.

Rode her all day yesterday.. 85ish...clear skies.. beautiful ride/day. This morning walked out to the garage...and puddle...:crying:

So... guess it's time to finally fix it. :confused24:

I just developed one on my 07 RSV. I have it parked in the garage all covered up. Uncovered it and rolled it out to work on it (carb covers) and there was a small spot of coolant on the floor where it was parked. I will look for it in the spring when it goes on the lift when I put new tires on it. Hopefully not a head gasket!

• 1 month later...

Wow, there must be something contagious here. I went to the garage last night and had about 3 or 4 drips worth under mine too. They were under the left rear cylinder, in line with the kickstand, and dripped down behind the exhaust. Started it and let it warm up, no leak this afternoon, it was about 35deg in the garage at the time. The PO had the system flushed about 2 years ago, and I remember him saying that it would drip a drop once in a while, especially when it was cold. My '04 dripped one time during a really cold spell when I had it sitting out under the carport, I never did find it. Guess it's time for the 'ol jack and go exploring. My son's 750 Shadow developed a leak between the heads in the crossover tube last year. It was a BEAR to get the o-rings on the tube without pulling a cylinder. We also tried "other" o-rings, but finally had to go to the dealer to get the right ones.

I don't worry too much about that small leak that develops when it gets cold. It is not going to cause a catastrophic leak and as soon as it is warmer, it will go away.

These o-rings are like other things, they shrink when they get cold, but work ok when they get warmed up a little.:whistling:

RandyA

Yeah Randy, that's what I'm thinking. The PO said he had all the hoses checked/replaced as well as all the o-rings when he had it gone thru. I hate cold weather!!!

Wow, there must be something contagious here.

My bike has a tendency to be a hypochondriac. I read something about a problem another 1st Gen is having, the next thing I know my bike is doing the same thing. Read about an oil leak, it starts leaking. Coolant leak...yepper..right there starting the same thing. Your clutch slave cylinder going out ?? Well mine will follow 3 days later.:shock3:

I had to change my password on my computer so my 89 can't sneak in here and read the forum to come up with more symptoms... :sun:

Your neighbor to the north is a metric country. If you need things in metric (tools,o-rings...) or anything else, you need only ask and I'm sure we could accommodate you very easily. I have read a few posts where people from down south have had some difficulty finding tools

that are metric that we could get from a number of different retail outlets. So give us a heads up and someone, myself included will do our best to help. This on line family is the best bunch of people I have ever associated with. Happy and healthy new year to all of you on this site.