IGNORED

Commander 11 tires

TEW47

Had a Avon 130 on the front. Changed to a Michelin 2 on the front size 130 also. Put dyna beads in, took weights OFF rim. Now the handlebar shake from side to side and not up and down. Had put the livening links in and had to take them too and it helped. Running 45 psi rear shock, and 5 lbs in the forks, and 40 psi in the front tire. Bead is even all the way away around the tire and is turning in the right direction. What could be causing the tire to shake side to side? also adjusted steering head barring.

tew47

Guest scarylarry

I used the dyna beads once and I never had that problem..

The only time I had that side to side shake was around 25 to 40 MPH and only with my hands off the bars, when I changed the tire it stop..

Went from a bridgestone to dunlop and then to a Avon and with both tires it never came back..

If the head bearing is right then sounds like you have a tire issue..

Had a Avon 130 on the front. Changed to a Michelin 2 on the front size 130 also. Put dyna beads in, took weights OFF rim. Now the handlebar shake from side to side and not up and down. Had put the livening links in and had to take them too and it helped. Running 45 psi rear shock, and 5 lbs in the forks, and 40 psi in the front tire. Bead is even all the way away around the tire and is turning in the right direction. What could be causing the tire to shake side to side? also adjusted steering head barring.

tew47

Is the front end lowered?

Maybe the bike does not like the narrow 130 tire, as compared to the stock 150? :confused24:

Guest scarylarry

But if he didn't have this problem with the Avon and now he does that would make me think there might be a tire issue...

Both was the same size just different brands, I do agree on the stock size though..

Jacked the bike up and bumped the handlebars left and right and they only bounces 1 time in each direction. The old Avon had about 20,000 miles on and it didn't move side to side. As soon as I put the Michlein tire it started to shake. Both are the same 130 size. Went to 130 because I teach MSF classes, and the 130 helped in the ERC class, easer doing the firgue eight in the box.

tew47

Jacked the bike up and bumped the handlebars left and right and they only bounces 1 time in each direction. The old Avon had about 20,000 miles on and it didn't move side to side. As soon as I put the Michlein tire it started to shake. Both are the same 130 size. Went to 130 because I teach MSF classes, and the 130 helped in the ERC class, easer doing the firgue eight in the box.

tew47

Your bike your choice, but I've had no problem going through the ERC with a passenger and the stock size tires.

Although you could have a defective tire, a more likely cause is that there is something loose or worn on the bike and the new tire is accentuating the affect. 20K miles is a lot of miles on a bike tire. Any brand of new tire ought to get a better grip on the road than your old tire had and thus would accentuate anything that was worn or loose. Are the saddle bags and trunk secure? Was the front end reassembled correctly? Is the fairing secure? Are the wheel bearings in good condition? With the front wheel off the ground can you feel any slop or play when grabbing the forks near the axle and trying to shake the bike? All these things and more can induce a wobble under the right conditions.:080402gudl_prv:

Guest scarylarry

Maybe I missed this but what speed do you get this at?

I have read many getting that unstabling feel on the interstate around 70 with the one 130....

Did you do it yourself or have someone do it? May be they put something together wrong. Don't have any idea why it would shake side to side after a tire change unless something is really wrong. Myself, I probably wouldn't ride it till I found it. No way to recover from a front wheel falling off.

Rode over to the shop that changed the tire ad let them ride it. After checking a lot things and riding it he though the steering head bearing were to loose. I also explained to him I have neurotrophy in my feet and I didn't know if it was me or the bike weaving. When I got home I tighten the bearings, but have not rode it yet. Don't how much longer I can ride with feet getting weak. If it were not for the heal and toe shifter I couldn't ride. My left foot is that weak.

tew47

Guest scarylarry
Rode over to the shop that changed the tire ad let them ride it. After checking a lot things and riding it he though the steering head bearing were to loose. I also explained to him I have neurotrophy in my feet and I didn't know if it was me or the bike weaving. When I got home I tighten the bearings, but have not rode it yet. Don't how much longer I can ride with feet getting weak. If it were not for the heal and toe shifter I couldn't ride. My left foot is that weak.

Hard thing for me to say, but sell it before you get hurt or someone else.....Laying a bike down is not a joke or fun, I know I laid my down cause of another rider it was the bike or the rider...

• 1 month later...

Findley found my problem. Dyna beads says to remove wheel weights, which I did. Found out that the manufactor balances the rim, and I removed those weights. Put them back on yesterday and everything was back to normal. There were five 1/4 oz. stick on weights and a local shop gave me the weights, Yamaha shop would not,said I had to order them even though they had the weights, they would not sell them to me.

tew47

Findley found my problem. Dyna beads says to remove wheel weights, which I did. Found out that the manufactor balances the rim, and I removed those weights. Put them back on yesterday and everything was back to normal. There were five 1/4 oz. stick on weights and a local shop gave me the weights, Yamaha shop would not,said I had to order them even though they had the weights, they would not sell them to me.

tew47

I knew it was a balance problem. BECAUSE Dyna beads do not balance the tire! Many may disagree with this. BUT, Tests have been done... They are simply "dampers" to lessen an out of balance issue. Honestly...they are snake oil. But work good enough for small bikes...usually dirt bikes. There are liquids out there claiming to do the same. But they also really do NOT balance the tire. The word here is BALANCE. Always get your tire balanced ...spin or static is better that putting foreign objects inside it.

I knew it was a balance problem. BECAUSE Dyna beads do not balance the tire! Many may disagree with this. BUT, Tests have been done... They are simply "dampers" to lessen an out of balance issue. Honestly...they are snake oil. But work good enough for small bikes...usually dirt bikes. There are liquids out there claiming to do the same. But they also really do NOT balance the tire. The word here is BALANCE. Always get your tire balanced ...spin or static is better that putting foreign objects inside it.

+1

Mike

Tell that to the guys driving the big rigs up and down the super slabs. Their tires are much bigger than ours, but if it makes you feel better having an opportunity to slam dynabeads, go ahead. I've been using them long enough to know better.

Tell that to the guys driving the big rigs up and down the super slabs. Their tires are much bigger than ours, but if it makes you feel better having an opportunity to slam dynabeads, go ahead. I've been using them long enough to know better.

+1

I've only recently started using them. There's a few local "bike" guys that I will always go to around here...because I just trust their opinion, and they've gone from switching to dyna beads to swearing by them. Couple real sharp guys on the ZZR/sportbike forum also use them, and have for years in many applications.

Doesn't mean they're better....but my logic tells me if experienced mechanics use them on their personal bikes....sure the hell ain't snake oil :)

DynaBeeds. Great idea when you don't expect to experience a flat that requires slime :)

As for the vibrations, make sure the tire is mounted right, and everything is to spec, INCLUDING AIR PRESSURE!!!

My Avon Venom-X front HATED 33 PSI on the Venture, so much so, she would become violently unstable over 75. Aired up to 42, not a damn problem. (I did assume it was dynabeads at first. removed em and switched to weights. with the Kendas I will be switching to lead weights and ride on. I can't aford leaks.)

Think what you will, but I will go with my experiences. I've used Dynabeads for about 5 years and 8 or so sets of tires and I think they are great. I have 3 riding buddies that have also been using them for about 4 years and all agree that they work. On the Wing I have since switched to Centramatics and if I were to it again I wouldn't have bought them. The Dynabeads were just as good and a lot cheaper.

Dennis