IGNORED

Public photos?

bilko1

Do you mean, a photo of your likeness, or a photograph that you took? I think the answer to the second question is no, unless you took it in your capacity as an employee. If it is a photo of you, I suspect it depends.

Can you provide more information?

Dave

I am employed by the city as a mec a nec in the transit system.

This morning we were informed that all the employes were going to have to have photos taken.At that time we (all employeys on duty at the time)were made to be photographed. Some ageanst there wishes. They are going to be displayed in the downtown bus depot on one of the walls.

This is something that I do not want.

It's an interesting situation, to be sure. You can photograph people on public property without needing a model release. You cannot display the photos for profit without a model release. I'm not sure how the transit system is considered... is it a public agency? Is displaying the photos part of a marketing scheme, and thus "for profit"? Or is it a news/editorial use? This seems kind of novel to me.

Do you have an employment contract? Is permission to use your likeness incorporated in the contract? No? Are you in a union? What would they say?

I think that if I were opposed, I would have grimaced or frowned, so as to make the image unsuitable for a marketing purpose.

I definitely think that reaching out to HR is warranted. Or, if unionized, your representative. Or both.

It's an interesting situation, to be sure. You can photograph people on public property without needing a model release. You cannot display the photos for profit without a model release. I'm not sure how the transit system is considered... is it a public agency? Is displaying the photos part of a marketing scheme, and thus "for profit"? Or is it a news/editorial use? This seems kind of novel to me.

Do you have an employment contract? Is permission to use your likeness incorporated in the contract? No? Are you in a union? What would they say?

I think that if I were opposed, I would have grimaced or frowned, so as to make the image unsuitable for a marketing purpose.

I definitely think that reaching out to HR is warranted. Or, if unionized, your representative. Or both.

What Dave said.

My employer wanted to take my pic for publicity and I strongly expressed that I did not wish it. None of the pics turned out usable. :whistling:

I aint pretty to begin with, but when I want to, I can be real nonphotogenic.

Arkansas is a right to work state. That means NO UNIONS.

(Also means that you can be let go for no reasion.):depressed:

It is a city agency.

The photos will be displayed in a Very public place.

It will be only Transit employes,:puzzled: no other city employes will be included.

No other city employes photos are displayed in this way anywhere else in town that I know of.

I used to do photography for companies in the trucking industry. I had many that were displayed in the company offices for the vanity walls but there were some that were published in national magazines. If they displayed them "on site" I and the employees had no issue with it. I had sold them the photo and gave them ownership of it.

But.... If I provided any photo that was to be displayed in public for advertising, or to be published in mags I made dang sure I had signed model releases from EVERYONE that was shown in that that picture or they didn't get the image.

Even stock photo sites I submited to had to have a model release submited with the photo for the files.

Unless there is something in your company policy signed by you, that states they they have rights to publish any photo I would certainly question it if you don't want it displayed.

:2cents:

Mike

Edited by Snaggletooth

Are they taking your photo to advertise "Hey! Look at all of our happy employees!!"

or is it "These are our employees, if you see someone other than a person on this board in a Transit Auth. uniform, please report it immediately"

Join the world of the public employee. Your employer may post every employees pictures as a part of their quality assurance or complaint program. The public's right to proper service and assurance that employees follow safety regulations and policy outweighs your right to privacy. The public can find out how much you were compensated, how much ot you worked and what your benefits are worth. They can know how much you contribute to a public pension vs municipal contribution or what portion of your pay comes from a grant...

The line is drawn when they try to find out specific voluntary deductions, ie what health insurance program you chose or cancer insurance . . .

You own the job ( so long as you provide the performance they require), they own the work product. If they aren't profiting from your likeness, and government doesn't make a profit, it probably just is. Out of curiosity did they tell you the purpose of the photo's were.

Be glad it's just your photo. My employer (US Government) let a local newspaper publish my name, and my annual salary, for everyone to see.

Part of a transparency law for government employees. Couldn't do anything to stop it.

Join the world of the public employee. Your employer may post every employees pictures as a part of their quality assurance or complaint program. The public's right to proper service and assurance that employees follow safety regulations and policy outweighs your right to privacy. The public can find out how much you were compensated, how much ot you worked and what your benefits are worth. They can know how much you contribute to a public pension vs municipal contribution or what portion of your pay comes from a grant...

The line is drawn when they try to find out specific voluntary deductions, ie what health insurance program you chose or cancer insurance . . .

You own the job ( so long as you provide the performance they require), they own the work product. If they aren't profiting from your likeness, and government doesn't make a profit, it probably just is. Out of curiosity did they tell you the purpose of the photo's were.

In short. The answer was "The director said so."