IGNORED

Almost out of Warranty - anything I should have checked?

Hey guys..

My 07 RSTD is about to run out of warranty in couple of weeks.

I have a front fork tube that is vibrating and making a clanging noise at times I want to get looked at..

And I don't think my cruise control has ever worked right - surges up and down as it tries to adjust the speed

Anything else I should have checked out before it ends?.. I'm sure they will charge me to look it over..

It only has ~ 9k miles... yea I know .. bought it 2 years ago w/ no miles on it but also don't get to ride like I want to.. can't even commute to work on it since I work from home ;-)

ALSO, anyone recommend or not recommend a dealer in North Houston, TX area?

The one in Humble couldn't fix my cruise and charged me ..

Thanks,

Keith

Backfiring could just be a carb sync. They will charge you for that.

Should be a Maintenance Day down in the Houston area sometime soon. They will do the sync for beer.

Hey Cupcake!! Get one of those scheduled for our friend here!!

RR

Should not have charged you and should have fixed the problem. Pretty sure i would be going the other direction

Ignition switch, rear shock are the two main things that will cost some money down the road. Other things are relatively small.

Brad

ok well I dropped it off.. (Houston Yamaha Motorsports)

They already warned me if they look at it and its not covered by warranty then it will cost me.. I'm sure it will cost me.

He said the loose rattling front fork was a common problem and nothing could be done with it. I hadn't heard that one..

Cruise Control - they will prob blame on the aftermarket pipes and carb needs synching or some excuse like the other place did.. but its been doing it ever since I got it.

Even checking the rear shock would cost a service charge.. so I said never mind.

I asked for a bid on lowering the front with progressive springs kit...

He recommended lowering the rear, but I mentioned all the sperts on this forum say do the front first since the bike already has a high rake to start with.. he said he didn't trust forums.. ;-)

Question1: If I lower only the front would I need to cut or change the kickstand?

Question2: They are trying to sale me extended warranty before this one expires.. I hate buying warranties... is this a no way, not worth it?

Question3: They wanted $80 for a oil change - I said no thanks I can handle... is that normal rate?

Thanks for advice so far...

Keith

Be sure to check on head bolt recall. Your cylinders could start leaking oil and or coolant, due to head bolts vibrating loose. Mine are being replaced under warranty. Anything on the bike is covered under warranty until unit is 5 years old. Dont let dealer b/s you. You can also get an extended warranty that will cover anything original does, as long as you get warranty before original warranty runs out. Prices are 3, 4 or 5 years 695, 795, and 895 respectively and are not unreasonable when consider price of engine replacement. Good Luck.

Be sure to check on head bolt recall. Your cylinders could start leaking oil and or coolant, due to head bolts vibrating loose. Mine are being replaced under warranty. Anything on the bike is covered under warranty until unit is 5 years old. Dont let dealer b/s you. You can also get an extended warranty that will cover anything original does, as long as you get warranty before original warranty runs out. Prices are 3, 4 or 5 years 695, 795, and 895 respectively and are not unreasonable when consider price of engine replacement. Good Luck.

Good point I would ask to make sure this was one that did or did not need it. Also would like to know if it was done and how long ago.

Brad

Question 1 : I doubt it lots of folks lowered there front end Haven't seen a thread of it making a issue with the kickstand. He is full of Bs on lowering the rear. Like to see him do some parking lot maneuvers after that.

Question 2 : why buy his warranty when he is claiming he cant fix your front fork rattle tell him you will wait and see how good of a job he does on your cruise control.

Question 3 : would say that is normal your right do it yourself.

Just check the rear shock yourself if it's oily (leaking ) make him change it then you will know how good his warranty work is before shelling out more hard earned money.:080402gudl_prv:

• 1 month later...

Well.... FINALLY got my bike back... yesterday..

Front forks ... they said there wasn't anything wrong with them warranty would cover ... the fork cover rattling was known problem and no remedy.

I had them rebuilt anyhow and lowering kit installed since i wanted it lowered.. I can tell the difference immediately.

$500

Cruise Control ... Surges up and down while driving (5-10 mph surges)

wow.. that was a tough one for them..

They did immediately validate the problem existed and needed to be fixed under warranty - so that was better than the last dealer I took it too that charged me for adjusting something and did it wrong.

But was challenging to fix and took a while.. But I had to leave it with them until done because the warranty expired while it was there.

They checked all the obvious then Yamaha blamed it on the carbs being dirty and lean...

dealer didn't think so since it ran fine.. but had to rebuild them.. but talked Yamaha into pitching in to clean the carbs since this is second time I tried to get fixed.

I also paid some additional for re-jetting and adjusting for ethanol fuel and open pipes..

$200

But that didn't fix it...!!

So then Yamaha started throwing parts at it.. control unit, throttle valve etc..

Finally the last part they had left to replace was the problem, the vacuum actuator pump. Even though it bench tested good it was failing in use.

So I finally have a working cruise that wont get me sea sick!

All in all, I am pleased with this dealer because they did stick with it until it was fixed.. it just took awhile because Yamaha was directing the troubleshooting after the basic things were eliminated. They said Yamaha no longer has a regional repair expert to send out to dealerships also due to budget cuts.

On carbs and gasoline.. this guy says Ethanol gas is here to stay but a big pain espec down her where it is so hot and humid. When the alcohol evaporates out it pulls in moisture and can corrode carbs in a few weeks.

He recommended seafoam for a cleaner if burning a tank a week, otherwise a stabilizer if ride less often, like a tank a month. And drain tank and use in the car if bike will sit up awhile.

Keith

Guest tx2sturgis

The first symptom on a failing shock is usually that you notice it kinda 'goans' when its cold and you first sit on the bike in the morning. Of course, you might not see cold weather that often where you live (this time of year), enough to notice it this way.

The second thing you might notice (if the shock is failing) is a choppy, unstable ride. Its hard to explain precisely, but the rear will seem to offer a less 'planted' feeling.

Third issue will be that the shock will have a dripping oily residue on the bottom of it. Probably around the rubber bellows and the lower shock mount bolt. If you see that, your shock's damping has failed completely.

Hope this helps.

Haven't noticed rear shock problems yet.. and now its out of warranty

but nice to know what to look for

Squidley

thanks for the invite, would be nice to see the new homestead there..

I'll look you up one day soon..

BTW I still have those RSTD bars w/ ur name on it..

Squidley

thanks for the invite, would be nice to see the new homestead there..

I'll look you up one day soon..

BTW I still have those RSTD bars w/ ur name on it..

Your welcome out here anytime my friend, shoot me a PM and I'll give you our new address....you'll love the new "Workshop"

:thumbsup2: