IGNORED

What's up with this new Fla motorcycle law?

Midrsv

A friend just sent this to me: http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Documents/loaddoc.aspx?FileName=_h0137__.doc&DocumentType=Bill&BillNumber=0137&Session=2008

Seems the Florida legislature wants to confiscate your bike and revoke your motorcycle license for 10 years if you are cited for reckless driving or caught speeding 30 or more mph over the limit. Do they also do this for cage drivers? While I think there is little risk of me going 30 over, I still don't like the wording of this. Maybe I'll just stay out of Florida.

DT

A friend just sent this to me: http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Documents/loaddoc.aspx?FileName=_h0137__.doc&DocumentType=Bill&BillNumber=0137&Session=2008

Seems the Florida legislature wants to confiscate your bike and revoke your motorcycle license for 10 years if you are cited for reckless driving or caught speeding 30 or more mph over the limit. Do they also do this for cage drivers? While I think there is little risk of me going 30 over, I still don't like the wording of this. Maybe I'll just stay out of Florida.

DT

Most likely that is what they are hoping will happen with motocylist, stay out of Florida. :(

Most likely AMA will get involved if this does not apply to cagers as well.

I don't live in florida but I heard about this several months ago. It was brought about by the crotch rockets that go 150mph and over. I also hear that the AMA was already fighting because it only applies to motorcycles.

First I have heard about it. Calling a motorcycle contraband?? WTF?? And I sure wouldnt want reckless riding left up to the individual officers discretion. Im sure AMA will respond.

Hmmm, does that mean I may never see Jeffy again??:whistling:

If there going to do that they should do the same for cagers or CDL drivers if caught going 30 over and with the same charges I would say most of the ones they will take are the squids on there sport bikes or drunks but i dont like the fact that it targets only one type

they dont reissue a license if you lose your license driving your car to a bike only or bike and CDL so why give one back for car and CDL

Guest KitCarson

I do not agree with this at all........easy to be doing 55 in a 25 and not even know the speed limit is so low.......but do understand why.....Sunday I took my daughter back to Charleston to start the spring semester. We walked down King street to the Mellow Mushroom to eat.....sport bikes every few minutes ripped down the busy streets doing I am sure right at 70 plus miles per hour......we have some kinda loud pipes on some of our bikes.....but those on those sport bikes are really loud ones. So someone has decided, if you wish to act like this.....you can drive a car....but we are going to take you off the bike........no do not support this......do not like this......but do understand the reason behind it..........This is the reason why now you cannot park a motorcycle in the parking garages in Charleston now.......ripping down the ramps at 70........loud shrill pipes........lot of bikes in the south.....so they have put us all in the same basket. No it is not right......but brought on by these actions.

They recently introduced something similiar here in Ontario, to combat street racing, but it applies to ANYONE, cager or motorcycle. If you are caught doing 50 km/h(30 m/h) or more, the vehicle is impounded for 7 days, your license is suspended for 7 days, and you are fined $2000 to $10000. The license suspension covers any license you have, and does not allow for any special exceptions for work/business. The first week, saw alot of stunned drivers, especially those driving rental cars, who had to pay for the impound, as well as an additional weeks rental. Even though it is a tough deterant, I still see alot of drivers out there on the highways, blow by me, but the police can't be everywhere. I don't mind our new law at all, and it's not vehicle specific, so it targets everyone evenly.

It hasn't been signed into law yet. Looks like its just a stupid politician thats just mad because a sportbike cut him off.

http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Bills/billsdetail.aspx?BillId=37239&SessionId=57

I escaped to Georgia, so if any of you Floridians want to contact the author of this bill, here is his official website:

http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Representatives/details.aspx?MemberId=4357&SessionId=57

Revocation of your license is one thing. That is consistent punishment (for bikes) for the crime. However, forfeiture of the bike is really wrong. I can break the law on a $200 beater or $25,000 tour bike. That causes a big discrepancy in punishment when you have to forfeit you bike. I didn't read anything in there about getting it back.

Dennis

Guest tx2sturgis
If there going to do that they should do the same for cagers or CDL drivers if caught going 30 over and with the same charges I would say most of the ones they will take are the squids on there sport bikes or drunks but i dont like the fact that it targets only one type

they dont reissue a license if you lose your license driving your car to a bike only or bike and CDL so why give one back for car and CDL

CDL drivers are already in another category. Speeding 15 or over past the speed limit is considered a 'Major Moving Violation'...and 2 of those (or a combination of one of those and some other kinds of infractions) can get your license revoked, depending on some other circumstances.

This removes the Commercial Drivers occupation/career.

And CDL drivers cannot 'mask' violations, by taking a defensive drivers course or deferred adjudication. And it doesnt matter whether he or she is driving a CMV (Commercial Motor Vehicle,ie truck,bus, etc) or not.

Serious stuff.

Although I agree that this law is totally wrong, it looks like they are leaving themselves an out.

Unless I'm reading this wrong, per sections a & b, they reissue your license good for the regular duration of your license, just without the mc endorsement. (I tried to copy and paste that, but couldn't make it work)

Can they take your license if you are from out of state?

Looks like its just a stupid politician thats just mad because a sportbike cut him off.

quote]

What has become of North America...We are just simply "OVER-GOVERNED" We here in Ontario have a similar "new law" being enforced now... What ever happened to being young wild and free.? Hell I remember street racing in my 66 mustang in the downtown streets..had alot of fun too..

I am sure many of you folks in here are/were like me, working on cars 4x4's and bikes, then going out and cruising and having some fun... These kids today just aren't getting any chances like we used to. If we are going to make laws up to keep "EVERYBODY" driving like snails then we should be providing organized tracks and drag strips(locally) for them to go play with their machines.. Although they tried that here in Ontario at the drag strip in Cayuga, and all the hot japanese cars drove out to the country in an orderly fashion to "race legally" and the local Ontario Provincial Police had an inspection going on just before the cars made it to the drag park grounds. They were hassling and handing out tickets for every silly thing they could find wrong with those cars.. Now how many of those young people are ever going to return to an official event like that..

Now I am not sure on the numbers, but these new laws are being brought about because of the street racing/deaths.. Although very tragic when innocent people are killed by stupid street racers, I am sure the numbers are very low.. Now in contrast, look at bullying/suicide rates, or look at obesity, in adults and children, a few more years from now all those kids growing up in this fast food, fast computers, fast video games, etc... will start having major health problems/deaths... Will we ban obese people from eating at McDonalds, have someone assist them when doing groceries to enforce them getting the proper food..?? Is alcohol next..!!!???

Like somebody above said, it can come down to an officers discretion, well theres alot of "bad" officers out there, just waaaay too much power for one ego tripping sunglass's wearing cop..(with all due repect....Hey I was a military policeman myself at one time...)

Geeze, confiscating vehicles and excessive fines for speeding....Perhaps these will be the reasons for cranking the right wrist or slamming the right pedal down when they see the lights and sirens behind them....:puzzled:

I appologize for the :soapbox:.. I feel better now getting that out of my system.. And no I do not race or drive/ride really fast anymore.. just short bursts of speed here and there..:whistling:

Mistake # 1 ) When a law enforcement officer charges a person.........

Law enforcement officers do not charge , they issue citations . Judicial system makes the charges . Since when does the Judicial system make LEO's Judge and Jury ?

Food for thought from the US Constitution

"

Amendment VIII

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted."

BEER30

Guest tx2sturgis
Mistake # 1 ) When a law enforcement officer charges a person.........

Law enforcement officers do not charge , they issue citations . Judicial system makes the charges . Since when does the Judicial system make LEO's Judge and Jury ?

BEER30

You never got a ticket in New Mexico, did you? You plea guilty or not guilty on scene, and if you plea gulity, you sign the ticket and send in the check. If you plea not guilty, you sign a different 'promise to appear' section of the ticket. Some officers have been known to put an 'X' near the 'guilty' line, and unsuspecting, usually out of state drivers, sign on that line and have just been charged and found guilty.

Sucks, huh?

and obviously you havent been into Michigan either.. A couple years ago I got stopped in Brighton by the Green Oak City Thugs.. I had a taillight out and recieved a ticket for Careless Driving.. The arrogant young officer came back to my car and said I wrote you up for Careless driving because you were on a Michigan Highway.. I calmly stated "that is rediculous" and get got RIGHT in my face and said "What did you say to me??" and asked if I would like to be arrested.. THis was a 1am, on the way home from Ohio delivering a bike, DO NOT DRINK, and it was very cold out.. He refused to let me move my car down the highway and would not give me a ride - I ended up walking 7 miles down US23 to a gas station to call my wife on the other side of the state to bring me my tools and a pack of 1157's to fix the light.. It is a a3 hour drive from home to there, I finally arrived home at 9:30 that morning..

Of course I fought the ticket that arrogant thug wrote me, the Judge immediatle threw it out of court so I was found innocent.. Th eJudge them asked the cop and I to shake hands,, I looked at the cop and said if you will applogise for lieing in court I will shake your hand, he wouldnt and I didnt.. The judge them asked me to appologise to the cop and I said my only connern with doing that is that the filth still has the right to appeal.. THe judge looked right at the police officer and asked him if he was willing to waive his appeal right, the cop said yes. So He appoligized and I did -- case closed right???? NOT!!!!!!!

Due to the idiots mannerisms, total obuse of power right in front of God and everyone, making it clear that if you were not recognized as LEO or staff you were dirt.. IT was terrible.. Soooooo even though I won I went right down to the Police station and told them that I wanted to press charges against this punk they hadd working for an oficer.. I thourouly explained to this Saregent that my case had been thrwn out of court and that action alone should be a strong enough indidcator amd prove of reasoning that something is wrong with this young thug and somone nneds to do something about it,,,,

6 days later I receieved the APPEALS NOTICE from that freekin two bit court house that stated that pig officer had changed his mind about waiving his right to appeal ( even though it was in a court of law during a court perceeding that it happend) and I was now ordered to moveto district court.. I went there and was RAILROADED by the Judge, Prosecuting Attorney and the Green Oak Police Dept: I was not allowed to speak ONE word, THe judge simply said I was quilty and that was that,, I tryed to ask why she was overturning a lower courts decisoin and just as arrogantly stated " Because I can" I asked if I could asked another question. She said no and I objected,, She finally did let me ask and I asked if she even read the earlier courts decision.. She siad nope that she didnt have to.. Ever notice when your dealing with low lifes that there comes a time when you just shut up and let life work them over...

Bottom line folks,, if you think for one minute the these offierces few their job as not being Judge Jury and Executioner you gotta lot to learn.... Yes,, you may have slipped thru life - being good and being kind but ol "pucs gonna tell you,, 1 aarogant, aggresive tyrant of police officer and you wont be the same person... ANother point then I'll stop.. I gotta say that the Michigan State POlice are 110% above ANY other LEO agencys in Michigan.. It just seems that their professionalism SHINES in every occasioin.. THey are courteous.honest and straight shooting folks and are usually not the donut eating hogs that most of these small down Sherreffs Depts cater too... Intstead you will see the MSP out on s local college track having track meets betwwen the branches,,, while most of the local focals are tankin up the donuts and enjoyng th espeed traps...

WIth all that said I have to DITTo dr. nemo!!

COULD NOT HAVE SAID IT BETTER BRO!!!!

Looks like its just a stupid politician thats just mad because a sportbike cut him off.

quote]

What has become of North America...We are just simply "OVER-GOVERNED" We here in Ontario have a similar "new law" being enforced now... What ever happened to being young wild and free.? Hell I remember street racing in my 66 mustang in the downtown streets..had alot of fun too..

I am sure many of you folks in here are/were like me, working on cars 4x4's and bikes, then going out and cruising and having some fun... These kids today just aren't getting any chances like we used to. If we are going to make laws up to keep "EVERYBODY" driving like snails then we should be providing organized tracks and drag strips(locally) for them to go play with their machines.. Although they tried that here in Ontario at the drag strip in Cayuga, and all the hot japanese cars drove out to the country in an orderly fashion to "race legally" and the local Ontario Provincial Police had an inspection going on just before the cars made it to the drag park grounds. They were hassling and handing out tickets for every silly thing they could find wrong with those cars.. Now how many of those young people are ever going to return to an official event like that..

Now I am not sure on the numbers, but these new laws are being brought about because of the street racing/deaths.. Although very tragic when innocent people are killed by stupid street racers, I am sure the numbers are very low.. Now in contrast, look at bullying/suicide rates, or look at obesity, in adults and children, a few more years from now all those kids growing up in this fast food, fast computers, fast video games, etc... will start having major health problems/deaths... Will we ban obese people from eating at McDonalds, have someone assist them when doing groceries to enforce them getting the proper food..?? Is alcohol next..!!!???

Like somebody above said, it can come down to an officers discretion, well theres alot of "bad" officers out there, just waaaay too much power for one ego tripping sunglass's wearing cop..(with all due repect....Hey I was a military policeman myself at one time...)

Geeze, confiscating vehicles and excessive fines for speeding....Perhaps these will be the reasons for cranking the right wrist or slamming the right pedal down when they see the lights and sirens behind them....:puzzled:

I appologize for the :soapbox:.. I feel better now getting that out of my system.. And no I do not race or drive/ride really fast anymore.. just short bursts of speed here and there..:whistling:

Guest KitCarson

When I got out of the military.....I went looking for a job.....the unemployment office told me we had just the thing for you!! They sent me to Huntsville, Arkansas and said you are now a Deputy Marshall..........This was a federal veterans re-adjustment program so they really could not fire me, not with out a hearing at the state level.

I will not get into all the bad things small town cops do......we all know they do them, we have all experienced some of it. And it really has no place on the forum as there are some great cops out there too....especially the state troopers....those guys are okay by me.

Anyway I was never one to write a speeding ticket.......boring....sitting in a stupid car running a radar gun.......I liked to chase bad guys......but they did call me in and say.....look you are not performing your job as we require you to do.....you need to police traffic better...you are not even supporting your salary........

I had had enough of cop stuff by then anyway........so the next day I got a brand new ticket book.......and several new ink pens......I started at 6:30 a.m. sitting by the school in the school zone......in two or three hours I issued 27 traffic citations........to several school board members......to the Chief of Police's Wife........to the local judge..four of the town council who had told me to enforce traffic......the fellow who ran the local hardware store.........I got them all!!! No one ever said anything to me again about that kind of thing...........I left shortly after that.......had already figured out that was not for me.

The wording may be a bit muttled but I am all for something along these lines. I constantly worked accidents where a bike is doing way in excess of the speed limit. I have been riding down the interstate doing 70 in a 55 on my bike, you have to around here just to keep up with traffic, and have been passed by a crotch rocket in MY lane making me look like I'm sitting still. Easily over 100 mph and this is common place, not the exception when driving on any major hiway around here. They want to take themselves out well good for them. The problem is they are more often harming someone else also, pedestrian, cager or even another motorcyclist. Not to mention giving motorcyclist in general a bad reputation. Non motorcyclist never remember the person on the motorycle that let them into traffic or stopped when they were stuck in the road to help push their car, they remember the bike flying past them in traffic doing 30+ mph over the speed limit.

If this was geared to get motorcyclist out of Florida like someone suggested I don't think they would make the infraction 30 mph over the limit. Instead of *****ing about the law maybe more of us should be *****ing at the ones doing the things that are getting the laws suggested. Just my .02.

Guest tx2sturgis
When I got out of the military.....they said you are now a Deputy Marshall...............I liked to chase bad guys......

Bad boys, Bad Boys, whatcha gonna do when they come for you, Bad Boys, Bad Boys...

.....in two or three hours I issued 27 traffic citations........to several school board members......to the Chief of Police's Wife........to the local judge..four of the town council who had told me to enforce traffic......the fellow who ran the local hardware store.........I got them all!!! No one ever said anything to me again about that kind of thing...........I left shortly after that.......had already figured out that was not for me.

Yep...hey I knew we saw things the same way...Your alright, I dont care what they say about you!

:)

quote]

hey brian, you said a mouthful. i agree 100%. sure had fun when i was young ,did lots of drag racing and ripping it up. i guess the adults back then said look at that silly ass kid with the hot rod making a fool out of himself. now i'm 65 years old and haven't changed a bit. i just do things a little more sensible now, mainly cuz i care about mine and others safety. still won't back down from a good drag race now and then, and i happen to have one bad crotch rocket in the stable. i love hot bikes and will till the day i die.i figure if i get caught i deserve the ticket,but take my bike that to me is legalized government theft.totally rediculous. on the crotch rocket subject, where are the parents that let these inexperienced kids buy these bikes? of course where are the parents that dump there kids off at the mall looking like street walkers and dressed like idiots. kids are a product of their environment. if the parents don't care how can the kids be any better. :depressed::no-no-no::no-no-no::sign29::2133:

Guest tx2sturgis
If I wasn't so desensitized due to all my years in law enforcement, I might be tempted to take umbrage with some of the comments about LEO's posted here.............

Hey...you know we ALL have gripes about the following:

Cops

Lawyers

Doctors

Plumbers

Lawyers

Waitresses

Nurses

Fast food workers

Lawyers

Convienience store clerks

Truck Drivers

Soccer Moms

Bikers...(ooops...scratch that!)

Lawyers

Reporters

Politicians

Salesmen

Saleswomen

Judges

Lawyers

Mechanics

Authors

Talk Show hosts

Bus drivers

Photographers

Women

Men

Lawyers

Teens

Weather forecasters

Webmasters

Moderators ;-)

OnStar commercials!

The list goes on and on...oh yeah, did I mention...Lawyers?

It was just the LEO's turn in the spotlight.

No offense was intended or inferred...after all, when we DO have to dial 911...we hope SOMEBODY shows up!