IGNORED

Worst dealer arrogance

ediddy

A friend of mine has two bikes. A kawasaki drifter and a swift chopper. He decided to trade both of them for a harely street glide. The harley dealer here in Albany, GA wouldn't take the swift chopper because they couldn't find a value for it. The female salesperson offered to take the kawasaki on trade and gave my friend a price. She wouldn't give him a breakdown as to how she arrived at the price of the harley. My friend went to another harley dealership about 45 miles away that is owned by the same person here. They offered my friend $500.00 more for his kawasaki. The next day my friend called the harley dealer here and said he was ready to trade. The female salesperson in a very rude tone said there was no deal to make. The deal she gave him was for yesterday only so she wouldn't sell him the harely and take his kawasaki on trade. My friend said that was ok but he would get a harley from another dealer. He went to tallahassee, florida and the harley dealer there offered him the same trade in value but was selling him the street glide for msrp which is $19,000.00. It was then that my friend realized that the harley dealer here in Albany, GA was charging $3,000.00 above the msrp. He closed the deal with tallahassee and brought the bike home. That was friday. Saturday my friend and two of our mutual friends asked him to go to the local harley dealer so they could buy him something for his new harley as a gift. When my friend entered the harley dealership he was met by the sales manager who grabbed his hand but wouldn't let go. My friend finally pulled his hand away from the sales manager and said is there a problem? The sales manager said yes, the owner doesn't want you in this dealership so you need to leave. The sales manager said you bad mouthed our salesperson so you are not allowed in this building. About that time the owner came out and my friend asked to speak with him. They were having a civil conversation and my friend told him the only problem he had was that the salesperson wouldn't show him the breakdown she was using to come up with her price. The owner said well you came in here and got a deal and then went to another dealership so we don't won't you in our dealership. About that time the female salesperson came out of her office and started yelling at my friend "you think you are a big man don't you." My friend talkes with this hands sometimes so as he was talking to the owner the salesperson told him he better get his hand out of her face. Another friend was next to him, he is 6'6" tall and weighs 320 pounds, and he said come on let's go, it's not worth getting this worked up about this. My friend left the building and after he was out the door another friend who was still in the dealership said the salesperson said , "we don't need prick's like that in here." The owner finally told her to shut up and get back in her office. I thought I had seen it all but this arrogance takes the award.

WRITE a letter to Harley.

Do NOT send an e mail

Make sure your fried document names, times and how the communications went. how he felt that H-D might not be the iron he would like to ride, if that is the way H-D treats it's customers.

Yes it is an independent dealership but it is the H-D logo on the door!!!!!!

Be sure to tell ALL your and his friends in the area HOW he was treated at the dealership....

Let EVEERYBODY know how your friend was treated!!!!!!!!!

WOW, from any inter action I've had with Harley dealers, NON have ever been that way. Many have been extremely friendly. Even when I stopped into a custom shop - inquiring about something for my bike - I was told only Harley's - but at least it was civil / polite. I would definitely document it and send a letter to Harley - I'm sure they wouldn't put up with that.

She's a 10, relative or a very CLOSE friend of the owner, if you know what I mean by CLOSE friend.:bighug:

It's been my experience that as long as a dealer is selling the corporate trade name will not react to a letter, they will just assume the cutomer was having a bad day. Now if the dealer has a few hundred letters from customers they might make a phone call. It's a big world and a customer is now just a number.

Guest KitCarson

I rode Harleys for over 20 years.......great machines....a real iron horse....once in a great while you will find a small shop with an attitude, such as if you do not ride a Harley.....go away!! That does exist....but those shops generally do not stay in business long. I am a regular visitor to two Harley shops in South Carolina......they are a great bunch.....all of them.......some of them like to tease me now.....one told me the other day, I was getting old, had bought a Grandma bike......wanted to know if I needed some training wheels.........it is just all in good fun......most of them are bikers too......they really could care less what you ride in.......but if they know you it is great fun to hassle someone. I have found them to be actually the best shops of any of them......and lately.......the Harley product.......is right up there too.....let them have two more years......get those ABS brakes right and with a track record........get those cam chain sliders all changed on the 110.......and maybe in a springer soft tail.........for those solo rides.......I want a real bike again!! If you have never ridden one.....you do not know what you have missed. Kit

This dealership has been sold three times in the last year. The original owners were just as bad as the current owner for arrogance. They sold to an individual in Tennessee and he sold the dealership after a few months. The current owners also own Killer Creek Harley in Atlanta and I think two or three other dealerships. You would think by owning other dealerships they would understand customer service and repeat business.

I too would talk to Harley customer service and write lots of e mails saying if this is there service than this is my last harley, somewhere in the mother company someone will care. O and I would never go to any of there dealerships ever again. Lots of dealers around and repeat sales is something lots of people forget.

Guest KitCarson
Kit,

I have heard the phrase "real bike" before, but no one would ever explain exactly what wasn't real about a Venture. Maybe you could help me out on that one. :stirthepot:

Hi Ya Jerry.......A real bike is first of all a Harley........no saddle bags....no trunk........lots of chrome and a big twin motor that has enough torque it will idle in fourth gear. I grew up with them.......you ride with no helmet...wind in your face, nice sunny day........just nice to be alive. It is more than just the attitude though....no motor.....none....compares to the Harley motor as far as the riding experience.....they are simply unique , and honestly I do not know how to fully explain it.....you just have to ride one for about a month...... I think maybe the term you hear....and sometimes not in a nice way towards your or my....or anyones bike that is not a Harley is some of this attitude...(gone wrong) Some Harley guys.....do walk around with a chip on their shoulder .....and do have the we are the best attitude.........they will even go so far as to damage japanese bikes.........so the bad side of real bike..is that.

Jerry I love my venture also.....it is a wonderful machine. Just different. A welcome different......and very comfy.........but for the true riding experience.....wind in your face...and yes a helmet!!(nowdays for sure) a big powerful V-Twin......with that unique sound......and so much power in the lazy gear ranges.....lots of chrome.....the sound of the motor and the pipes......no stereo......no radio.......none of that stuff....That is a real bike and a real ride......it hard for me to expain.......Maybe someone else can do it better......

Yes Jerry the term real bike is sometimes not meant in a nice way.......I do not run around with those kind of people.......might say that to you if I know you and you know I am teasing......but basically I like all bikes.......almost all bikers........so to me the term real bike......it is an different deal.......a riding experience.......on a big thumper........I suppose you have to do it to fully understand.

I will own another......I am just waiting for the ABS brakes to get a track record....and some other changes in the system to the motor.......for those rides when my wife is working.......or cannot go.........nothing compares to a big twin......loud pipes,...wind in your face and a big grin at the sunday driver next to you at the stop light.....staring at the dash so hard...just wishing you would go away..........Kit

I personally have owned 3 Harleys and let me tell you something. I will never and I mean never go back to a v-twin (Harley). They are still living on the myth that they are the all American answer to any other bike in the world and far superior as well (you gotta be kidding). My Venture is 21 years old and runs like a beast. Take a 21 year old Harley from the factory without touching anything and tell me why they are so superior (they are not by no means). All American yeah maybe about 70% the rest of the parts come from overseas. Then comes the price thing and you will hear guys say "you get what you pay for" which is definetly not true in the case of HD. Sure if you wait long enough they might catch up to the Jap technology but why pay 1/3 more for that because of a name which is what it comes down to. If you want vibration and noise pull the collector off and go with straight pipes and take one plug wire off:rotf: and if you miss the wind in your face put a stubby shield on for the times you feel like eating bugs.

It doesnt matter what you ride as long as you ride, but the days of being looked down on by HD owners is over as it was all hype and ego to begin with for less than a superior product. Sure they make a decent bike but not for the money and they definetly dont stand up to the hype that comes with them at any price.

Paul

thats my 2 cents:stirthepot: like it or not

Guest KitCarson

Hey you forgot........the pipes will melt your shoe soles.....you gotta superglue the mirrors still........but you can sure stick a can of spam up on top of one of the heads and have a hot meal!!

It is hard to explain.......do not like the Harley attitude either.......that is why I have taken up with all of you.......but the new Harley bikes.......are good......super good.......not at all like the old ones....the product has improved and is coming on strong........I might buy one early.....post all the photos.......just to have some friendly banter......:stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::rasberry::rasberry:

I have been seriously thinking of getting a Ural or Dnepr (old bmw military knockoff with a sidecar) as a second bike. as you can do a little offroading with them and there are a lot of dirt roads by our camp up in the mountains near Wellsboro. I think they would be a lot of fun and parts for them are very accessable.

Paul

Guest KitCarson
IF you want a motorcycle experience, I have a 1950 H-D FL for sale....
Hi Harold.......nope do not want that one!!! Had a 1966 once.....several in the 70's made by AMF........just about soured me on Harley bikes forever......every bit of bad things you hear about Harleys did occur with AMF.........and then some........had a 71 sportster.....actually did make head gaskets for it out of a soap box........lay soap box on top of cylinder and gently tap out a gasket with a hammer.........after I got it home. got some new asbestos ones.........they lasted about 8000 miles......always park on top of an old cardboard box......change box monthly:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:The new ones are very good.........honest!!! All that stuff is done and over with.........as far as I know......they have come a long way.........for two up....nothing can beat the Venture........for single rider.........well everyone has an like or dislike.....my problem is I like most bikes.......but do like a big twin....it is just a whole different ride. No do not want that 50....I do like technology, and performance.......good brakes.......think I will pass on that one.

I love my Venture for its comfort and fit. I always felt cramped on an Ultra, which is one of the main reasons I went with the 2nd Gen. However, at least HD updates their bikes all the time. No, I dont agree with their high prices and "image" either, but at least they listen to their customers. Yamaha, you listening?

Getting back to the main complaint: I have had several bad attitude experiences at HD dealerships, especially Daytona HD (downtown) whenever I went in there to consider buying that Ultra. Yamaha dealerships aint too much better but at least I can pay way less for bad attitudes at Yamaha then I can at a HD dealer...LOL:rotf:

I was going to buy a Harley this time round...(harley espionage) However I joined some online groups for harley's and just watched the posts come in about the problems on relatively new bikes.., and then alot more of the group members would post their same problems and others.. Then they would have the discussions about the dealers.. How there would be a waiting list for certain bikes and then these people would go out of state to try and buy elsewhere but the dealers would not sell to them..etc...

Lets look at the automotive sector.. Say you have $15 000.00 and there is a toyota corolla and a domestic brand car for sale, both for 15 grand.. you need something reliable as you don't want to spend alot of money on repairs.. which car you gunna buy.???? It is quite well known that the japanese cars are better built, last longer, and have fewer problems than our north american cars... Check out JD POWER AND ASSOCIATES survey's or Consumer Reports...

So it kinda makes sense that the same would go for the bikes...

Don't get me wrong, I love the look, sound and feel of a harley(hence their pricing), but I have a family to support right now, not a bike, so my 86 venture will probably give me next to no problems over the next few years...