IGNORED

Tires, pressure & setup

Motorcycle Mike

Over on the Ride On thread a couple of guys said they got 24-30k out of a set of tires.

That is WAAAAY more than I get. I only get 11-12k per set. It got me wondering what kind of mileage your getting and how your set up.

My set up is....

2010 RSV

2 up most of the time. Combined weight 400+lbs

I pull a trailer about 1/4 of the time.

E-3s with 40f-40r

Lots of mtn. roads.

I have a 96' RSTD that I put 12k on a set of E3's that were on the bike when I got it. I don't know how many miles were on them when I bought it but, they did have some wear on them. I ride mostly 1 up and run 38f and 42R. I just put a new set of E3's on 3k ago and they still look like they just came out of the press.:thumbsup:

'99 RSV

90% solo riding

Metzler ME880's

Solo - 38 psi front, 40 psi rear

2-up - 40 psi front, 42 psi rear

25 - 30 psi in rear shock all the time

0 psi in front forks

50/50 on in-town & interstate vs. mountain riding, but more long rides than short ones.

replaced rear tire in October with 17K miles on it

just replaced front tire last week with 22,300 on it

If I rode as much 2-up as you do, I imagine my tire wear would be about 20% - 25% fewer miles on the rear, and 10% - 15% fewer on the front. Just a guess.

We own a motorcycle shop, and sell & mount alot of tires, I can think of 8 regular venture owners. We, and our customers, have tried all brands of tires, and found metzeler me880's to be to our liking, over other brands. We all run the psi that metzeler recomends. FT 36/42, Rear 44/50, lower psi for solo, higher psi for two up , rears get 14,000 to 16,000 mi, fronts get 16,000 to 22,000mi.

The question being what types of bikes do those braggarts run?? A lighter bike will be a lot kinder on tires than our heavy beasts...

I run an RSTD, and I suppose the superior speed makes a difference. Being able to fly over surfaces helps greatly. :buttkick:

With the last set of Dunlop E3s, I got average life out of the rear ~13,000. The front E3 got 25,000+!! These saw a lot of freeway miles, between three long trips pulling a trailer 2-up and daily commuting in Houston.

I ran max recommended pressure, whatever that was.

I also ran Dyna beads in that long-living front. Not sure if that made a difference or not.

Love the E3s for durability and going straight. Disliked the front when turning, so I went back to my favorite Avon in front (E3 in back). I ought to get some more Dyna beads, because they made balancing a snap. :innocent:

Dave

Guest tx2sturgis
Over on the Ride On thread a couple of guys said they got 24-30k out of a set of tires.

That is WAAAAY more than I get. I only get 11-12k per set. It got me wondering what kind of mileage your getting and how your set up.

My set up is....

2010 RSV

2 up most of the time. Combined weight 400+lbs

I pull a trailer about 1/4 of the time.

E-3s with 40f-40r

Lots of mtn. roads.

Is that kilometers? Sometimes the metric countries are involved in a topic.

We own a motorcycle shop, and sell & mount alot of tires, I can think of 8 regular venture owners. We, and our customers, have tried all brands of tires, and found metzeler me880's to be to our liking, over other brands. We all run the psi that metzeler recomends. FT 36/42, Rear 44/50, lower psi for solo, higher psi for two up , rears get 14,000 to 16,000 mi, fronts get 16,000 to 22,000mi.

since you own a shop whats the recommended tire pressures F 150 R 180 Metzlers ME880

E3's front and back, I get around 17,500 out of back and 22,500 from front

2 up half the time

2 pounds of air in front forks with 39 pounds of air in front tire

29 pounds of air in rear shock with 42 pounds in back tire. unless pulling trailer

Now I just switched to the 130 from the 150 on the front so will update middle of summer how many miles I got out of it. By the way I ride around 30,000 miles a year. I llive in Illinois so not many curves but do travel a bunch. Not much city riding either.

ok i seen what looked like a car tire on the back of a bike about a yr ago the owner showd me is odometer 84k 3k was the original tire that came on the bike the car looking tire he had was his 2nd tirewith 1k on it and showed me pics of the last one with od. readings and the tire depth guage the only thing he hated about it was turning curves on a new tire he had to cut them down which took a while but for straight runs they were great i like the thought of 80k on a tire at 240.00 but i will be doing more local riding like MS,LA,and AL, and maybe a little of FL ie. pensicola

Like my E3's on my 88 VR. They perform well and have taken me many miles, including 13,000 kms (about 8000 miles) with two up hauling my trailer last year. So far, I have 46,000 kms on the front (which I will change this year) and 38,000 kms on the rear.

since you own a shop whats the recommended tire pressures F 150 R 180 Metzlers ME880

We need the rest of the numbers like 150/80-16,and 180/ _ _ and what bike your using them on to look on metzlers fitment guide. If your asking about a 180/70-15 the correct psi is 40/42.

• 4 weeks later...

I am at the wear bars on my E-3's. Have 8,000 miles on these tires, going to try the Michelin Commander II next. I spoke with Michelin, they said I could put a Commander on the front, and Commander 2 on the rear, as long as I keep them both bias, would not be a problem.

That mileage is about right. I change my tires earlier than some. My last E3 rear tire was changed at round 16,000 miles.