IGNORED

Solid Motor Mounts revisited

I am tooling up to make a set of delrin motor mounts for myself, wonder if any one else here would be interested in delrin mounts for $40 delivered in con US? Full set, 6 pieces, machined to the drawings that have been floating around here for a while.

I can also make these from aluminum, probably 6061, maybe even have them anodized to stop the galvonic corrosion. There would need be a decent demand for this, as the anodizing would cost me $100.00 if I did one set or 25 sets.

Bare aluminum would be same price as Delrin, adding anodizing would raise cost some

When you are ready to accept orders, let me know and I will send the payment.

We can run the delrin ones anytime, takes about 2 days to get mmaterials, plain aluminum ones also. If you would want anodized aluminum we would need to wait until 20 or so sets were going, otherwise it would raise your price.

What would happen if we only replaced the easy2get2 motormounts??? Would there be any improvement in handling, or a waste of time??? Say a set of 4 delrins. 2 fronts and the 2 in the middle??

Nothing is ever as simple as it sounds.

The two that are tough to change are the left rear and left lower front.

The upper front right & left have the triangular bracket that can be unbolted, and the right rear & right lower front can be accessed by removing the lower frame member.

The other two have welded frame tabs that make changing these tough.

Gary

I would be interested in a set. Not sure which?? Delrin?? I'll have to check on that.

Are you thinking these would outwear aluminum?? I've read a little about this Plastic but not much.

I do know delrin is a much harder material than nylon, and much lighter than aluminum,it can be drilled and tapped, made into bolts much like any of the metals, and has zero chance of any of the galvanism type corrosion that is associated with aluminum to steel contact, is widely used as wear points on robotic equipment and material handling conveyors.

I have ordered some material for this, will have several sets ready to ship by next Tuesday.

Condor, if I understand the actual difficulties involved in replacing these from factory rubber, it is one of the front bottoms and one rear that is tough to remove. I may be wrong in my understanding of the writings, we shall see when I start to change mine.

Condor, if I understand the actual difficulties involved in replacing these from factory rubber, it is one of the front bottoms and one rear that is tough to remove. I may be wrong in my understanding of the writings, we shall see when I start to change mine.

Yeah, I guess I need to do a little more eyeballin' to see what it'll take and go from there. There may not be an easy way to do it, and I don't really want to get into a big project. It would just end up on a pile with the rest of them..... :) Especialy since the '99 is more of a priority than the '91....

My only concern with the Delrin motor mounts would be temperature.

Delrin is rated for -20° to 180°F.

The engine has a 190°F thermostat. I have no idea how hot the motor mounts may get in real life. Heck I ain't even sure WHERE the motor mounts are. Never looked for them.

Does someone have a way to measure the temps of the motor mounts after a good run on the highway?

If not, and if I get the bike back on the road next week, I will try to check some temps in the area of the mounts. These temps would be in 40° air temps so they may be hotter in the summer and southern heat.

My only concern with the Delrin motor mounts would be temperature.

Delrin is rated for -20° to 180°F.

The engine has a 190°F thermostat. I have no idea how hot the motor mounts may get in real life. Heck I ain't even sure WHERE the motor mounts are. Never looked for them.

Does someone have a way to measure the temps of the motor mounts after a good run on the highway?

If not, and if I get the bike back on the road next week, I will try to check some temps in the area of the mounts. These temps would be in 40° air temps so they may be hotter in the summer and southern heat.

You bring up a good point Jeff..... Maybe this will help a little more on the properties of Delrin. I'd be interested in what temp. readings you come up with off your bike.

Thermal

Heat Deflection Temperature @ 66 psi D648 °F 336

Heat Deflection Temperature @ 264 psi D648 °F 257

Coefficient of Linear Thermal Expansion D696 in/in/°F 6.8 x 10^-5

Maximum Servicing Temperature, Intermittent °F 300

Maximum Servicing Temperature, Long Term UL746B °F 185

Specific Heat BTU/lb-°F 0.35

Thermal Conductivity –

Melting Point D2133 °F 347

Flammability UL94 HB (1.47)

Melting point is where the engine falls out. It you reach that temp call the fire dept cuz your garage is on fire.

Deflection temp is where things can start to move.

Kind of like when you heat steel with a torch to bend it, it doesn't melt but it does get softer. Delrin does the same thing, it gets softer with heat.

What I do not know is how hot do the engine mounts get on a 110° degree day, and at what temp will the Delrin start to deflect over time.

From the info that Condor posted it looks like we should be OK with the Delrin.

I was just looking at McMaster that said the max operating temp was 180°F, it seems that DuPont rates it higher at 210.

http://plastics.dupont.com/plastics/dsheets/delrin/DELRIN100NC010.pdf

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to let you know that the motor mounts are in. They fit nice and snug, no slop yet not an interference fit either. You have to make sure that the mounting holes are absolutely clean, any residue left from the old mounts make them too snug. The only thing is that I wasn't sure about the front lower mounts, as they have a nut that makes direct contact with the delrin and I wasn't too sure about that. I had some large chrome washers that I put in to make sure that the delrin was protected and wouldn't fail.

Thanks again Bob for making these! Great buy! Seriously recommend them to anyone who needs new ones, or wants a nice solid feeling bike!

-Andrew