IGNORED

4x8 tilt bed

barend

I have (access to) a 4x8 tilt bed trailer, It's a bolt together thing and doesn't weigh much. Though I'm currently not in the landscaping business anymore I'm considering dabbling and would need something to carry hand tools, trimmer, blower, maybe even a push mower, etc. With the truck that's no problem, but fuel being what it is and having a full time job I'm wondering if an eight foot long trailer plus tongue would be too long for a bike? I'd have to build a box on it at least 16 inch (preferably 24)high and 24 to 30 inch wide. Depending on how I organize things I could shorten the bed by about a foot. I'm guessing the tongue, measured from the axle, is about 7 feet, so a 4.5 ft wide trailer would still give me the 1.5:1 tongue vs. axle ratio.

I know there's folks out there (take that any way you'd like) who pull a coffin for a trailer which theoretically means this should be doable, but I'd still like y'all s opinion.

Length is not an issue for towing with a bike. To a point. :whistling:

Total width, weight and wind resistance are more of the factors.

With what you are looking to do you will probably get pretty heavy for a bike to pull.

It is not as much the ability to pull it as it is the ability to stop it.

If you do this I would add a set of 7" electric brakes to the trailer. I am considering adding the electric brakes to my little tag a long.

There will be those that say the stopping is no issue, just maintain a greater distance in front of you to allow for the increased stopping distance. This is true and should be followed. BUT this will not help you when someone pulls out in front of you or a kid comes flying out from behind a parked car, or something else unpredictable happens and you really do need to stop fast.

It will also be necessary to make sure all equipment is well secured since a sudden weight **** of trailer cargo that would not bother a car or truck can upset a MC.

I say go for it, CAREFULLY.

I pull my 8 X 8 trailer around the yard with a lawn tractor, and some times that is to much, Width is a huge thing with a lawn tractor. weight also becomes an issue pretty quick. No to mention the stopping distance. Some times the tail is wagging the dog so to speak. Just my opinion but I don't think it would be for me even with brakes.:confused24:

I wouldn't worry about size. I'd be more worried about weight. I think your Valk could pull quite a bit of weight. Stopping that same weight could be a problem.

Im assuming that you're not going to driving cross country to mow grass.

I have trailer breaks on my deck boat trailer, actually they are tandem's so x4, and adjusting them for the road isn't usually a problem. I have had occasions where I have had a holy shhhh moment and used hard breaking and steering and the trailer will lock and jerk back or slide. The truck has abs but not on the trailer and the only option is to let off and slowly apply again.

I just see trying to ride around an obstruction while breaking and having the back tire being pulled out of my line of travel at a critical moment, or electrical failure, or if surge breaks a hydrolic issue... and a false sense of security plus the added weight of the breaking system itself.

I am just thinking lite is right . . .