IGNORED

I haven't seen this question yet.

petekadish

Hi Guys!

I just had Carpal Tunnel surgery on my right wrist Wednesday, and a major winter storm warning has just been issued by the weather guys. So, I don't think that I'll be doing any riding for a little while anyway. So, I thought I would focus on bike preparation for the riding season. Here's what I'm working on . . .

I would like to assemble the ideal collection of travel tools to take on bike trips. I have been thinking about buying one of those roll-up tool pouches and then piecing together those specific tools which are the "gotta haves" for us Venture riders. We do have a small (pull behind the bike) trailer which will give me a little more room than just what I would have with the bike alone, but I still want to limit my collection to those really important tools. I'm usually not a very "light" traveler, so I need to try and make sure that I don't bring extra tools which I'll probably never need. And, of course I would like to limit the amount of space and weight dedicated to my travel tools. I should also note, that I am no mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, but I still want to make sure that I have available those tools which would be most helpful.

I know that there are some pre-assembled kits from places like Cruztools.com and other places, but I think that I would rather assemble my own kit based upon the wisdom and experience of my fellow Venture riders. Any additional tool-tips or suggestions are certainly appreciated. So, here are my questions:

1. What have you found to be the best way to organize your travel tools? Do you use a roll-up pouch? Are roll-up pouches a good choice? Where is a good place to find a roll-up pouch that you would recommend?

2. What are the specific tools and sizes which you like to carry, and that you just couldn't or wouldn't do without?

3. Do you have a favorite tool (you know what I mean :no-no-no:), Like a Leatherman or some sort of specialty tool which you have found particularly useful?

4. Pictures of your tool kits might even be helpful to those of us who could use some good ideas.

If this has already been discussed at length, please forgive me because I haven't seen it yet. Or, if someone knows another place (forum) where there is some good information on this topic, I would like to know about it.

Thanks everyone. I just know that you'll collectively have all the answers.

Stay Warm! Pete.

I keep all my tools in an plastic Folgers can. They are great and the medium size fit just right in the back part of a saddle bag. I also keep a tire plug kit and 1 large can of fix a flat velcroed to the inside of a saddlebag. Always wear a Leatherman Surge and a SureFire U2. I also keep another Surefire Centurion C2 velcroed to a saddlebag. One thing I keep in my tool sets is a set of balled end allen wrenches.

You ask a pretty loaded question there are guys that carry a hole tool chest and follow pickup truck.

First off you ride a VENTURE and if you have a copy of the updated VENTURERIDER Assistance list a credit card and cell phone and AAA you pretty much have it covered.

I found all the tools I carried just added weight I did not need and took up needed space.

Here is what I carry now if Im within 200 miles from home.

1 - The tool kit that came with bike except I have the balled Allen's

2 - of each fuse

1 - Leatherman tool

12 - Zip ties

1 - Rubber plug end-cap (old long one I picked up for removing plugs)

1 - plug gauge

1 - roll of electric tape

1 - each 1157 bulb and 1156

1 - 4 inch folding knife

1 - flash light (small halogen)

That's about it as far as tools go. I also carry a small first aid kit and its came in handy more times then the tools have, The NAVIGATOR feels we really need a bigger FIRST-AID kit..............................Ron

same as the guys on tool list but a few other items I carry

"small long rope" in case a bike dies I can pull it to a safe area.

"spark plug air hose" use for adding air to a flat tire

" NASA warming sheet" help you stay warm on out of way area's

"shake-up flash light" no batteries needed

"old cell phone" w/charged battery

911 use only do not need a cell phone provider for 911 service.

these are small items and do not use much space.

buddy

In my sadlebag is beside Yama Tools this gear wrenches set:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00930035000P?vName=Tools&cName=Tool+Sets&sName=Mechanics+Tool+Sets

This set is small will fit in palm of your hand, and I'm replace Standard sockets with metric ones

* tire plunger kit

* break away blade knife

* spear fuses

* zip ties

* small first aid kit

* Electric tester

* few LED flash Lights

MoTow roadside assistance #

Guest KitCarson

I do not carry a whole lot of tools, be surprised how much weight just a few tools can add up to, among the most important with the Venture is a good set of ball end allen Wrenches in metric sizes. Next would be an small electrical tester so you can eliminate a bad battery before you start splitting the fairing to check fuses. Some spare fuses.......a spare bulb or two.......a roll of electrical tape , one adjustable cresent wrench which can do anything from tighten a loose drain plug to an axle nut. It can all fit in a very small carry bag,and also a can of fix a flat. But I do carry a very good first aid kit, none of us ever do plan on going down, but sometimes stuff happens, so I think that is one thing everyone should have. My whole tool kit and first aid kit all weighs under 10 pounds. All that other stuff some guys carry I leave at home, things like the Carb Tune, enough tools to pull the engine!! Hey lets face it, if you have a cut rear tire and a plug will not get you home, you need help anyway, at that point, time to take a deep breath, relax and call for help.

Oh the first aid kit......the ones with just bandaids and a few simple things are not really much good, you need one with some larger direct pressure bandages.........a good roll of gauze, one with things in it, so if someone does get seriously hurt you can actually help them. Respectfully Kit

I have a small plastic tool box that's crammed full with a socket and ratchet set, combination wrenches, allen wrenches, regular and phillips screwdriver, pliers and diagonal cutters. I have a second plastic box that carries a lot of the other things mentioned as well as paper and pen, lighter, etc.

I carry the tools around more so for other folks as like Carl I too ride a reliable 1st gen...

Great site guys, a lot of good ideas. A company called Hermosaworks makes a First Aid Kit just for motorcycles that includes a Water Gel burn dressing and some larger dressings just made for road rash. I also carry a couple packs of Celox Powder pronounced (cell locks ). Its made for larger wounds to stop the bleeding. Its similar to the stuff the Army uses and is available over the counter. No special training needed for use.

http://www.hermosaworks.com

:7_6_3[1]:

Set of ball end hex wrenches

metric open end set

small cresent wrench

couple of phillips and straight blade screwdrivers

mechanics picks (2)

spare bulbs - taillight and headlight (essential!!!)

elec tape

Duct tape (about 1/2 roll flattened)

small elec meter

fuses

1/4" socket set with extension and screwdriver type drive (metric sizes only)

3 or 4 feet of multistranded wire

small roll double sided tape

good Leatherman

cheap Leatherman knockoff

small ball peen hammer with handle cut short

tire repair kit w/ CO2 cartridges for filling tire

This all fits easily into a small canvas bag.

Just in the saddle bag - at least 2 ratchetting tie downs, soft straps, Honda spray wash, towel, kickstand pad (I use an electrical junction box cover with a wire tied into one of the screw holes - this allows me to pick it up after I've lifted the bike off the kickstand). Windproof pullover for when it gets cool out.

If I am on a trip - also take along a light weight bike cover, extra sunglasses, extra earplugs, electric jacket liner, 3 sets of gloves (warm, cool, cold - wear one set at all times), clear faceshield for my helmet (wear smoke shield during the day), notebook and pen. Hide an extra key somewhere on the bike.

I also carry a first aid kit and a zero letoff air pump (not really needed to carry along - it is just a good place to store it since it is small). Always have my cell phone.

.... and the kitchen sink.

Hmmm, maybe this is why I need to take a trailer along when my bride rides with me.

RR

I fix and I look and I fix and I look and I fix and I look until my nerves finally tell me OK. Pack the first aid, tire plugs, spark plug hole tire inflater,small vice grips, crescent wrench and wife packs everything but kitchen sink miniaturized. Leaving enough room for kick-knack-paddy-wacks for cultterization back home.:rotfl::D