IGNORED

What do you think?

steamer

Went for a nice 5 hour ride today. I notice a little oil on the left brake caliper. Sure enough Its a leaking fork seal. So I say to Robin, I'm going to start tearing down the front fairing so I can pull the forks. She said take it to Lane Yamaha. I said how come, I can do this. She said... Not if I want to stay married:think: See my problem.:Avatars_Gee_George: Anyone know what it will cost to have the dealer do this job?

So offer to meet her half way.

When I talked to a dealer about three years ago about doing fork seals they asked me on or off the bike. I went with the Off answer. They shot me $65.00 per side plus parts so figured another $100 to $150 depending on their mood.

Better than handing them a bucket of money for shop time R&Ring the fairing and bits.

I mean, ya know..... how much trouble can ya get into popping the fairing and dropping the tubes. The cussing don't start until you get to putting the seals in right KIC? :rotf:

Just a thought.

Mike

I would do them on the bike. Wouldn't take the forks off if I didn't have to. When I do my 87's I am leaving them on the bike. I tore my 89 so far apart and then went on travel, never thought I would finish it. One day my wife walked out into the garage looked at me sitting on the ground in front of the bike and asked " you think you will ever get that back together ?" I looked up and replied "no". :no-no-no: Her reply was "nice" as she turned and walked back in the house. :confused24:

IF you follow the instructions on the forum, and ask a few questions, it is a doable repair. Oh yea... USE YAMAHA SEALS !!!

As for the wifey issue..... sounds like a Dear Abby time...:shock3:

You need to do some home work:

1, check out the price of the seals on line.

2, check out what the dealer would charge

3, present the numbers to the missus

4, decide to do the work yourself with the guidance of this forum.

5, ask somebody to come over to help you one day.

6, enjoy the fact that you did your own work.

7, take the young lady out for a weekend on the money you saved.

Your bike is now 13 years old. Do it right and replace all the bushings, seals, etc along with a set of progressive springs. Hows that fork stem bearing looking too? You can borrow the seal install tool from Bob Myers.

#7 is covered. Coming up this weekend for M&E. Now I just got to get started on the other six.

Oh, Kic... even 2nd gens need fixen once in a while.

Get the OEM seals. The price difference is not that much and some of the aftermarket seals don't work as well. In this case, the OEM are the preferred solution.

Cost for replacement can be rather dramatic depending on you providing forks vs. providing a bike. The time required to remove/replace the forks will be several hundred dollars.

While the fork seals are being replaced, there are also a couple of internal components that are good to get replaced.

Just had my forks redone by the dealer (took them off myself) and they charged about $325 total. This included seals, internal sleeve bearings, and Progressive springs. Bought all parts thru the dealer - although the local dealer gives me some decent parts pricing. Don't know the exact dollar amount for the forks since I also had my front wheel bearings replaced at the same time (total bill was about $400). Also had them remove and replace the lower steering neck bearing.

RR

#7 is covered. Coming up this weekend for M&E. Now I just got to get started on the other six.

Oh, Kic... even 2nd gens need fixen once in a while.

Hey...... I hate kickin' somebody when they are down.:innocent:

I'm gonna wait till they are done....:buttkick:

Good luck on the repair.... and the wife...:sun:

Time to get serious. Just ordered the progressive springs and OEM seals. I will start tear down tomorrow. I'm going to re-pack steering neck bearings while in there. If anyone can think of anything else I should do while its apart, this would be a good time for your input.

What oil should i use?

What grease for the steering bearings?

Thanks for your input.