IGNORED

whats the diff from a midnight and reg RSTD?

Pretty much that is it, all Midnights come from the factory black and with additional chrome, like the front fork tubes, risers (maybe), clutch and brake master cyclinders and levers are chromed, on the Venture the filler panel in the saddle bag hinge says Midnight instead of Venture , I am not sure about the RSTD.

The "Midnight" ones are more powerful and therefore faster than all the others. While at a standstill, this comparison cannot be seen. Once moving, it is obvious because you'll always be looking at the back end of the Midnight ones as they rapidly disappear from view.... :whistling: :witch_brew:

There have usually been 2 models of RSV and RSTD each year. A 'regular' and an 'S' model. The S model has had some additional chrome and will be more expensive. I believe the black Midnights have always been that year's S model. Sometimes with chrome studs around the seats.

The "Midnight" ones are more powerful and therefore faster than all the others. While at a standstill, this comparison cannot be seen. Once moving, it is obvious because you'll always be looking at the back end of the Midnight ones as they rapidly disappear from view.... :whistling: :witch_brew:

:rotf:

After riding mine, I suspect this to be TRUE!

Everybody should know chrome is for improved safety--ie." safety chrome" This is what I tell my spouse to justify shiney accessories. Yamaha validated this with the Midnight version. We all know chrome does make anything faster. Thus the midnight is a safer and faster bike --- thus the price diffrence.:stirthepot:

The midnights also come with a blacked out engine. I believe the difference is trim levels and colors. I thought all RSTDs had chromed front ends?

I would ascribe the difference in KBB value to desirability; those things that are more desirable cost more. :happy65:

Dave

As stated before Midnights have the Chrome Forks. Also chrome covers over the valve cover and some other chrome bits. The Midnight RSTDs ( and Venture's) were Raven black metallic. S designation Ventures and RSTDs (there are S model RSTDs that aren't black) have Chrome forks and extra chrome bits. All others have brushed finish on the fork covers and legs.

Other Midnight differences include the spokes on the front wheel (that you can't really see behind the brake discs ) and the rest of the wheel except for the polished lip are black. Same for the rear wheel.

My midnight does not have "chrome plated " master cylinders for the brake or clutch or "chrome plated " levers. The master cylinders do seem a bit more polished in appearance thn normal with a clear coat over them and the handles are polished with no clear on them so you have stay after them to keep them really shiny. They are not "Chrome plated" like you see onthe Stratoliner S and Roadliner S models. I'd like to have those Master Cylinders on my RSTD.

Probably some other differences.

RSTDdog

The handlebar electrics housings are chromed on the Midnight ... not the clutch/brake reservoirs.

I forgot about the switchgear being chrome . The fact those are Chrome actually makes it more noticable that the brake and clutch master cylinder aren't. Goofy since S and midnight models of the ROad Star and Stratoliner the master cylinders are chrome.

The handlebar electrics housings are chromed on the Midnight ... not the clutch/brake reservoirs.

On my 03 midnight RSV the switch housings are not chrome. I cannot say if they are original as i purchased it used. M.y 05 midnight RSV are chrome switches

Why they didn't chrome the resevoirs and levers I'll never know. Seem silly not to since that's all there is that's NOT chromed on the front end.

Anyone chromed these or bought replacement chrome pieces? I'll be doing this within the year. Wondering if a chrome plater can just chrome the original parts?

Wondering if a chrome plater can just chrome the original parts?

Yes. And for the Clutch and brake master cylinders that is probably the cheapest option.

Your other option is Chrome plated ones from other models, but that is a pricey alternative unless you run across them as salvage parts, and that will be rare since one or the other usually gets damaged in a wreck.

RSTDdog

Yes. And for the Clutch and brake master cylinders that is probably the cheapest option.

Your other option is Chrome plated ones from other models, but that is a pricey alternative unless you run across them as salvage parts, and that will be rare since one or the other usually gets damaged in a wreck.

RSTDdog

I was thinking about pulling mine off and having them chromed....going to get a quote and see what the cost would be...one of these days....

I was thinking about pulling mine off and having them chromed....going to get a quote and see what the cost would be...one of these days....

Unless I'm mistaken, those reservoirs are aluminum ... Y/N?

That being the case, a guy should be able to polish them up real nice ... almost like chrome!

I did a bit of polishing on my levers and they came out a lot shinier.