IGNORED

Has anybody ridden a VMAX?

tz89

Tho this was back in the 90's my riding buddy of the time had a VMax and he let me take it one day. I had been on Ventures for about 10 years at the time. I took it down the road and got it up to 45 in 3rd gear,thinking that should be a safe(?) speed to punch it from.I can tell you I am glad there was a step in the seat because without it i'd have been sitting on the road watching that bike head off on it own. They are scary fast and when the Vbost kicks in boy do they leap.What an awesome acceleration. Of course I quickly found also that even my VR could out handle them,but nothing could out accelerate them.

A riding buddy of mine has a 1200cc vMax. I've ridden it a couple of times. Lots of acceleration and too quick for my tastes. It has too high of a seat for my 30inch inseam.

Researching the vMax engine after riding my friend's is what brought me to buy my RSTD a few years ago, as I liked the idea of a somewhat tamed version and the ability to flat foot it.

The vmax has a higher stand over height than the VR? Huh! I walked by one yesterday but not really looking and it didn't strike me like a high BMW or similar.

Too much acceleration to enjoy on general riding? Cornering and handling reports?

I owned a '92 for a couple of years. That bike was BAD fast:bowdown:, didn't like to turn though. I had some of my most thrilling rides on that bike, lotta smiles while blowing by the plastic crotch rockets. The seat was unbearably uncomfortable, the only aftermarket option was a pricey Corbin. I ended up trading it in for a Honda CBR 600, not nearly as quick off the line as Mr. Max, but I could ride circles around a V-Max on that CBR. All in all, I would love to have a V-Max again, that engine is as close to perfection as I have ridden.

Dave

i had an 89 max with kerker exaust with the competition baffle, and lots of other mods, back in the nineties. i never worried about wheelies, it just smoked the tire on low gear roll ons. worst handling bike i ever owned. it was designed to go from point a to b in a hurry. it was a high nine second machine, at 140 in the 1/4 mile with a slick. i topped 145 with it on a long straight and had alot of throttle left. i figure mine would have done 160 top end. sounded like a small block chevy. it may have been my all time favorite bike. i wish i still had it. it was,nt near as fast as my zx-14, but it was a totally different beast to ride. the max was easy to ride wide open in a straight line. the 14 is the ultimate handful.

i rode the newer 1700 last year at a demo,OMG!!!!! that thing was way to fast for me,it felt good for the ride but not for me. as far as putting the engine in a venture, i've heard of people doing it just not sure of the results. good luck

I presume you're talking about a 1200vmax engine in a venture?

i rode a friend's of mine several years ago, he had done a lot f mods to it, scary fast and i've rode a lot of fast bikes. i street raced for about 9 yrs and it's 1 of the fsastest out there when setup right. my friend bought a 200hp motor for his but couldn't get it to run and handle right, there wasn't much that would outrun his old motor, don't know why he changed it?? if you look on youtube you can see several running out.

Fellow member Owen had one. He was on it the first time I met him but had sold it by our second meeting. Reason for selling? He said he could feel his IQ drop 50 points every time he got on it!

Some folks I've talked to refer to them as the Yammy version of a Hayabusa. In any case, they are definitely one of those bikes where you had better keep your head in the game or it will have you for lunch.

Speaking of the Busas, I'd definitely love to talk to the Okla Highway Patrol officers who ride them on duty. Something tells me they'd have some stories to tell.

The Busas were added to the OHP stable for the express intention of catching the idiots who think they can outrun one. From what I understand the first one was taken as part of a drug seizure and has custom built saddlebags and electrical system to handle the lights and other OHP equipment. I'm curious as to how OHP picks the officers that get to ride them. A HD police bike they are NOT!

I'm SHOCKED that you think a State Trooper would excede the posted limits on our roads!!!!:innocent:

rode a new VMAX last spring during AZ Bike Week (coming up again end of MArch) - Demo ride - parade fashion..

(hope they put that engine in Gen3 RSV....maybe detuned a bit)

anyway -- it was STUPID FAST!

the more i twisted the throttle, the more pucker-factor... WOW!!!

a couple hours later i had a more calming ride --- on a BOSS HOSS.....

who'd think a 350CI/350HP "motorcyle" would be anti-climactic.....

My uncle sold his 2006 2 weeks ago. Rode it many times. I could do a power wheelie on that thing in any gear, just twist the throttle at about 5500 rpm(v boost) hello sky. Heck of a straight line bike. Not a bad cruiser if you can keep out of the throttle. His had the corbin seat too. If I had the $6,700 it would be my bike right now!:thumbsup:

I love my V-Max but my wife loves it even more. Its is her bike when we ride. Everyone is right, it is wicked fast in a straight line but don't expect to turn like a sport bike. The max is a 86 so the engine is almost identical to a Venture. It would make a nice replacement if I could fine one to put in my Venture.

My sons is in the garage now. Its a 96 he has added a corbin seat, stage 3 carb kit, new hi-perf exhaust, led turn signals, custom taillight, gauge windscreen and K&N air filters. I get to ride it when I feel like it. Its scary fast. Almost takes the fun out of morning coffee. I get there to fast. Definitely made for one purpose. Straight line!:thumbsup2::D

Hi,

I have a B12 Zuki Bandit, it is amazing thats for sure, supposedly has 120 hp at the rear wheel. It is blinding fast and scary. I am a BIG guy, and that thing starts to pull the front wheel while rolling the throttle on , at about four k rpm, without using the clutch , in low, and a six grand short shift into second, then opening the throttle, will send me faster in a second or two than I ever want to ride. Awesome engine, I think the power is similar to vmax except for the v boost, but its a much lighter bike. I lust for a BIG new V max though, but wouldnt know what to do with the power.

I have been following the big max s on ebay, there have been a number of older guys, whose kids took them away supposedly, the kids explanation on ebay was, ,,,,,,well my Dad went and bought this thing, and he found he was in way over his head,,,only a couple thou miles,, he traded it in on an eleven hundred v twin ,, and he is very happy with it. hahahahaa, us old farts, love looking at the young women, and super bikes, but,, well, like my Dad said once,, most forty year olds find out they arent wired for 2-20 s. Best to just daydream about it, methinks.