IGNORED

All In One Good or Bad ?

It's time to replace my old desktop pc in the den. A laptop would not work here and I was wondering if anybody had anything good or bad to say about the All In One pc's out today?

All I do is surfing,paying bills,and social email etc. I ocassionally may backup something to the network server but thats the extent of this den machine.My thoughts are a All IN ONE with a wireless mouse and keyboard would be great. A 20+ inch screen would be nice to.No touchscreen is necessary. The less moving around in this lazy boy recliner the better I like it.

Edited by FROG MAN

No issues that I am aware of, as they are basically a laptop thats been rearranged a bit. The only downside is that everything is proprietary, and that always translates into more cash to fix when something goes wrong. The old-style towers used so many interchangeable generic parts that they were cheap and easy to fix.

Brian

The old-style towers used so many interchangeable generic parts that they were cheap and easy to fix.

Yup thats kind of me. I have had the same case for several years. I just upgrade the insides and parts. Mostly I use Tiger direct.com or comp usa (same company) I'm not a fan of the all in one things because if one thing goes wrong your sunk. Mine I probably have a part I can limp along with and order one. If your not doing alot of computing have you considered a tablet or I pad? They are wireless and you can get a docking station for them so you have a real keyboard.

No issues that I am aware of, as they are basically a laptop thats been rearranged a bit. The only downside is that everything is proprietary, and that always translates into more cash to fix when something goes wrong. The old-style towers used so many interchangeable generic parts that they were cheap and easy to fix.

Brian

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that: I had a Gateway all in one, it was a POS with all proprietary parts, it was in the shop more then it was on my desk, that was a few years back, hopefully the newer ones are better, it is a great idea, much smaller foot print.

I have never seen a Gateway that wasn't a pos....

The Allnone's are good machines. The HP's have a wireless as well as a wired network adapter built in so you can choose which you want to use. Basically they took laptop motherboards and put them in a case with a monitor . They are just as good as any other pc now. Towers are obsolete any more unless your building server class hardware or super fast machines. I have a tower case but its because I have a super fast "I Built". I needed it so I could use three 24"displays. You can increase the performance of a AllnOne just by replacing its Hd with an SSD.

Pulled the case on my Sony Desktop today. WOW I got 4 ram chip slots instead of 2.I found a supplier who still has ram for it so I ordered another 3G.That will max me out at 4G but it should still run a while. Also some nice looking gaming DIY pc projects at tiger direct. Might do a Father & Son project come his 14th birthday.

Gerald, We have an account with tigegdirect. I get their kits all the time. Try to stick with the ones with Asus MB's. You'll have less trouble in the end with drivers and the quality of the MB. I usually order 4 to 6 of their AMD 6 core or 8 core cpu kits at a time. Throw them together and put win7 64bit on them.. They fly..The last few had SSD drives and the users were really happy. Since we want them saving their work on the servers for backup the 64gb was plenty for installs and boots in less than 30 seconds. Keep in mind the kits usually have the graphics built in to the MB and a fourteen year old will want to play games that nees a good graphics card. Just order your upgraded graphics card and slap it in. The ATI's will allow up to 6 monitors on certain cards.:mo money:.

Best place ever!!

www.newegg.com I build my own gaming machines, and I buy everything from them. Stay away from the prebuilt systems like CyperPowerPC, IBuyPower, and such. They are mostly overpriced junk.

When you build a gamer, if you want speed to run the latest games, stick with the newer Intel processors, and Nvidia video cards. I have always been an AMD processor person, but they just can't hang with Intel right now, so I built my first Intel machine. Glad I did.

Mine will play anything I throw at it, and I built it all for about $1200. Already had a monitor, though.