BIG TOM

deer roast

3-4 lbs venison roast

2lbs potatoes

2lbs carrot

5 or 6 large onions

2 cans cambells golden mushroom soup

1 bottle sweet wine ( chefs choice)

IN large roasting pot or crock pot your choice. Put roast in center cover with vegies cut to large chunks. Pour half the bottle of wine in and cover with golden mushroom soup. If you use a standard roasting pot the I usualy cook outside on a grill with the heat as low as you can. If in iven cook at 225 degrees untill roast is done. If in crock pot cook on low over night and all of next day.

David

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come down to Texas and Lonna will make you a Gumbo that Kenny Brandton's wife Beth gave her the recipe for. Beth is a born and raised Louzianner gal and can cook like you can't believe, I sure as hell dont know how Kenny stays so skinny

:confused24:

POST RECIPE !!!! I would visit Lonna but, you would be there to and would have to eat also , Don't think she could make enough for the both of us....:stirthepot:

I get it at Walmart or Kroger. Its the mixed cajun spice.

http://www.tonychachere.com/

You can use it instead of salt in many recipes.Tony used to say "When it's salty enough it's spicey enough"

I used to have to have my sister in Louisana send it to me but you can but it in most regular grocery stores now.

Try this for a good soup on a winter day:

If you want to be a purest you should use Andouille Sauage I also throw in a ham bone

Black eyed pea soup

1/2 pound fat free kielbasa or smoked sausage. ( I use the turkey kielbasa sausage)

1 tsp olive oil

1 medium onion chopped

1 1/2 C peeled and diced potato

15 oz can black eyed peas rinsed

5 ounces collard greens chopped (may use frozen)

3 cans chicken broth

1 1/4 c water

salt to taste

black pepper to taste

-Cut sausage into bite size pieces. in large pan heat oil and cook sasauge. Add onions when sasauge is about cooked and satue.

-Add potaoes, black eyed peas, greens, broth and water.

-Bring to simmer, cover and cook until potatoes are tender.

-Season with salt and pepper.

Turtle Soup au Sherry

• 10 ounces (2-1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 pound turtle meat, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
  • 1 cup minced celery (4 stalks)
  • 2 medium onions, minced (2 medium)
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic, minced
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1-1/2 cups tomato purée
  • 1 quart beef stock
    • NOTE: If turtle bones are available, add them to the beef bones when making the stock for this dish

[*]Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste, as needed

[*]1/2 cup lemon juice

[*]5 hard-boiled eggs, finely chopped

[*]1 tablespoon minced parsley

[*]6 teaspoons dry sherry

Melt 8 ounces (2 sticks) butter in a heavy saucepan. Add the flour and cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat until the roux is light brown. Set aside.

In a 5-quart saucepan, melt the remaining butter and add turtle meat. Cook over high heat until the meat is brown. Add celery, onions, garlic and seasonings, and cook until the vegetables are transparent.

Add tomato purée, lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the stock and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the roux and cook over low heat, stirring, until the soup is smooth and thickened. Correct seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. Add lemon juice, eggs and parsley. Remove from heat and serve. At the table, add 1 teaspoon sherry to each soup plate.

POST RECIPE !!!! I would visit Lonna but, you would be there to and would have to eat also , Don't think she could make enough for the both of us....:stirthepot:

I'm thinking that you have not been around when Lonna does the cooking,,,, if she seen you coming, even I would have something to eat.

PS. I'm not sure I said that right,,, yep, could be taken more than one way,,,,,,,,,,,,,

FROGMORE STEW = original name

(because of outsiders- specifically Yankees, name variants are Beaufort Stew, Low Country Stew,, or Shrimp Boil)

No frogs give their life for this carnation.

Between the Atlantic ocean and Beaufort SC is a small Gullah town that WAS called Frogmore, SC,,, till outsiders (yep Yankees) moved in and didn't like the "silly" yet historic name.

Now it's called St. Helena. This "shrimp boil", if you will, was coined there by the locals as Frogmore Stew.

FROGMORE STEW

Ingredients depend on # of people,,,, I have cooked for 20-30,,, but let's keep it down.

Fresh shrimp, 1/2 lb per person. Heads off please,, you don't want to eat food that looks back at you.

Polish or smoked sausage, 1/2 link per person.

New potatoes, small round are best, say 6-10 per person.

Corn on the cob, break in half, 2-4 per person.

Can add blue crabs whole if you want,, that's old recipe stuff. But you woun't find those in the waters around Akron.

News paper.

For seasoning, Old Bay seafood seasoning,,some cut onions, red peppers (or a bit of Tabasco sauce),

salt, can of a beer (have several on hand- or in hand).

I prefer to cook on the burner outside (turkey cooker pan).

Fill pot with water, put in seasonings, bring to a boil.

Remember you are going to toss in stuff so don't fill the pot too high.

Toss in in this order,, say 5-10 minutes apart,,, have another beer between each ingredient

a) potatoes

b) corn

c) sausage & crab if you got one

wait till last five minutes, then

d) toss in the shrimp - I prefer to let the shrimp steep rather than hard boil.

they will float to the top when they are dead (kidding). Just make sure they are done,, grab one, run it in cool water a few seconds eat it.

Then, assuming this is a true "Throw Down",,, cover a picnic table with news paper,, drain the water and then dump the entire stew along the length of the newspaper.

Now, grab a beer and everyone sit down and eat. Paper plates are best, a roll of paper towels,,, you need a bone yard for the shrimp peels and corn cobs.

I take store cocktail sauce and add about 1/3 horse radish and some lemon juice (a splash of bourbon is good too, thanks Mom).

Serious note: Warning,,, if you do this in the house you may want to hold off on beer in the stew. The alcohol will release the peppers to the air and create a light weight nerve gas that will make most start coughing. Took me several years to figure that out,,, it was the beer!

Enjoy,

Mike G in SC (grew up in Beaufort SC)

Man, I'm in heaven...got Randys creole a cooking right now as I write this.....you guys just keeps sending in these recipes.....got the turtle soup one...thanks...now about grandmas fried chicken and the world class gumbo...any for crawfish??? Don't stop...Hey you got any for gator or catfish..?I want them all !!!! give them up :dancefool:

Ok Tom, I guess I'll share it with you...

Cooking Cabbage Pigs in a Blanket Using the Crock Pot

Cabbage Rolls, also known as Pigs in a Blanket, is a perfect dish all year round. If you have the time and patience to use the crock pot cooker or slow cooker, then you should give this amazing dish a try.

To prepare the cabbage, fill a large pot with water and bring it to a boil. Core the cabbage and place it in the boiling water. Leave the pot covered and remove the cabbage head after 5 minutes. Take the leaves off each cabbage head making sure that the leaves are pliable but be careful not to tear them. If the leaves are still quite stiff, put it back in the pot for a minute or two.

Ingredients:

• 1 large cabbage heads

• 1-2 lbs lean ground beef

• 2 cups rice, cooked(I use spanish rice)

• 1 onion, large and chopped

• 1 hot pepper, diced finely

• 1 can tomato soup

• ½ can water (warm)

• 1 tsp. paprika

• 1 tsp. salt

Directions for cooking:

• On a large skillet, fry the ground beef and the chopped onion until it turns light brown and drain the excess grease.

• Mix the ground beef and onion together with the cooked rice, paprika, hot pepper and salt.

• Place the cabbage leaves on a neat surface and spread over the meat mixture on the center of each leaf.

• Wrap the meat mixture around the cabbage leaf by rolling it. The sides of the leaf must overlap.

• Place the cabbage rolls into the crock pot or slow cooker. Mix the can of tomato soup with ½ can of water and pour onto the crock pot as well.

• Turn the temperature to high heat and cover the rolls for at least 4 hours.

Enjoy!:beer:

Ingredients

• Salt and pepper, for seasoning chicken
  • Crisco shortening, for frying
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 2 cups self-rising flour
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 (2 1/2 pound) chicken, cut into pieces

Directions

Heat shortening in a cast iron skillet to 350 degrees F.

Beat eggs with water in a small bowl. In a shallow bowl, season flour with pepper. Dip chicken pieces in egg mixture and then coat well in flour mixture. Carefully add to hot shortening, in batches if necessary, place lid on top of skillet, and fry until brown and crisp. Remember that dark meat requires a longer cooking time (about 13 to 14 minutes, compared to 8 to 10 minutes for white meat

Ok Tom, I guess I'll share it with you...

Cooking Cabbage Pigs in a Blanket Using the Crock Pot

Cabbage Rolls, also known as Pigs in a Blanket, is a perfect dish all year round. If you have the time and patience to use the crock pot cooker or slow cooker, then you should give this amazing dish a try.

To prepare the cabbage, fill a large pot with water and bring it to a boil. Core the cabbage and place it in the boiling water. Leave the pot covered and remove the cabbage head after 5 minutes. Take the leaves off each cabbage head making sure that the leaves are pliable but be careful not to tear them. If the leaves are still quite stiff, put it back in the pot for a minute or two.

Ingredients:

• 1 large cabbage heads

• 1-2 lbs lean ground beef

• 2 cups rice, cooked(I use spanish rice)

• 1 onion, large and chopped

• 1 hot pepper, diced finely

• 1 can tomato soup

• ½ can water (warm)

• 1 tsp. paprika

• 1 tsp. salt

Directions for cooking:

• On a large skillet, fry the ground beef and the chopped onion until it turns light brown and drain the excess grease.

• Mix the ground beef and onion together with the cooked rice, paprika, hot pepper and salt.

• Place the cabbage leaves on a neat surface and spread over the meat mixture on the center of each leaf.

• Wrap the meat mixture around the cabbage leaf by rolling it. The sides of the leaf must overlap.

• Place the cabbage rolls into the crock pot or slow cooker. Mix the can of tomato soup with ½ can of water and pour onto the crock pot as well.

• Turn the temperature to high heat and cover the rolls for at least 4 hours.

Enjoy!:beer:

Hey, Thats my moms recipe for gawompki...... drop the hot peppers and use green peppers instead, and tomato paste mixture instead of tomato soup also add chopped celery to the mix........maybe were brothers and you just wrote it down wrong.........................NAH !

Also known as Hulubtsi (Ukrainian) Dolmades (Greek) and Golabki (Polish)

Never heard it called Pigs in a Blanket. Pigs in a blanket is usually sausage in some type of pastry roll. But, as we all know, many dishes are call various names around the country.. IE. Is it a Delmonico steak, a Kansas Strip or a New York Strip

German Pigs in the blanket or stuffed cabbage:

• 1 Large cabbage head

• 2-4 lbs lean ground beef

• 2 cups rice (uncooked)

• 1 onion, large and chopped(uncooked)

• 1 qt saurkraut (drained)

• 2 qt whole tomatoes, preferabbly home canned, pour the water off of the second qt only and chop up.

• 1 tsp. salt &pepper

Directions for cooking:

• Core cabbage. pull off leaves. In a large boiling pot blanch the leaves until tender. throw leaves in colander to cool off. next take each leaf and cut the center hard stem off so that the leaf is the same thickness.

• Mix the raw ground beef and onion together with the rice, and salt & pepper.

• Place the cabbage leaves on a neat surface and take a small fist size portion of the meat mix and place in center of leaf. take sides up and overlapp then roll leaf from thick side to tip.

• take the smaller blanched cabbage leaves and line a large turkey roaster.(if anything s gonna burn it will be them...) place the pigs in the pan and form two or three rows. take sauerkraut sprinkle over pigs then take chopped tomatoes spread over sauerkraut. then repeat you'll probably end up with 2 rows deep. now pour in the juice from one of the quarts of whole tomatoes..(dont pour in any more liquid or you'll have a big mess to clean up) LOL

• Place the covered roaster in oven at 350 for 2 hours then take top off and continue cooking at 350 for another half hour. till golden brown...:whistling:

Dang ...Now I'm getting hungrey

In the school cafeteria in Greencastle Pa, pigs in a blanket was a hotdog wrapped in bread dough and baked until brown...Go figure...

Edited by CaptainJoe

Well Tom....I have Beth's gumbo recipe!! But your gonna have to come on down to Texas to get it!:rotfl: And BOY IS IT GOOD!!!:stirthepot::whistling:

Hey, I know someone has grannys recipe for real fried chicken..you know the one you only use for your family and don't serve company.....thats what I'm talking about.....these recipes are great ...keep them comming...I'M PRINTING ALL OF THEM..:fatsmiley:ps...wheres the one for gumbo

This is a quick and easy one. I make it every year at the deer lease and it always disappears.

Tamale Pie

Get an aluminum foil throw away deep dish pan, about a dollar at Wally World

Line the bottom of the pan with tamales, about 2 doz will do (I buy them from a lady who makes them, but you can get them at the store in a can)

Cover the tamales with a large can of chili

Cover the chili with grated cheddar cheese (or cheese of you choice)

Mix up a batch of cornbread dough and cover the cheese (I usually use the store bought corn kits package)

Bake in oven at 350 till cornbread has risen.

Once the pan is empty just throw it away. The only cleanup is the bowl you mixed the cornbread in.

Rick's Fried Rabbit

My dad and I were avid hunters, and here is my recipe for fried rabbit. It's delicious!

1 rabbit, cut up

2 T. salt

3 eggs, beaten

2 c. flour

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4. tsp pepper

Cut up rabbit.

In a lg. pot, fill about half way with water. Add 2 T. salt, and bring to a boil. Add rabbit, and parboil for 1/2 hr. Drain and let cool.

Beat eggs in a bowl.

Put flour on a plate, and mix with salt and pepper.

Dip rabbit pieces, one at a time, into egg, and then flour mixture.

Meanwhile, on high, heat 1/2" of oil in a lg. cast iron frying pan.

When oil is hot, add rabbit pieces, one at a time into the oil.

When one side is golden, flip over to the other side. Cook until golden brown and crispy.

Drain each piece on a paper towel, to soak up grease.

Serve hot, with your favorite side dish.

:thumbsup2: