IGNORED

Vinyl "go fast" stripes on car

XV1100SE

Just wondering if anyone knows the best way to take care of or clean vinyl stripes on a car.

Bought the car in '09 (2007 Mustang GT) and the dealer had added the stripes to it after it came in from a lease. A year later the stripes became "mottled" so I had them replaced. Now they are looking "mottled" again.

Normal wash and wax when I do the car. I've tried vinyl cleaner but doesn't seem to give them any protection and the discolouration comes back again. If I replace them again I'll get the stripes painted on !

Suggestions?

There are also different grades of vinyl. I visit sign shops every day and they all tell me that same thing, people today will spend days going from one shop to the next trying to save every dollar they can. They are not always comparing apples to apples though. Most sign and vehicle graphics shops have several different grades of vinyl to choose from and quote you. If you are looking for the cheapest thing possible, you will end up with a vinyl that is only rated a couple of years TOPS. There are others that are rated for 5 years and some for 10 years. Somebody who is planning to keep their car a LONG time should go with the best vinyl they can get.

maybe should have bought a Chevy.:stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot:

Your as bad as I am... I was going to say something about a chevy..but decided this man was asking a ligidament question, so I keept readying the replies and wham oh..you said it.

Shame on you...:buttkick:

Your as bad as I am... I was going to say something about a chevy..but decided this man was asking a ligidament question, so I keept readying the replies and wham oh..you said it.

Shame on you...:buttkick:

It's not easy being me,,,, but somebody had to say it!!! He has a very nice wife though,,, now don't go taking that the wrong way,,,, Don is very nice as well.

xv

freebird is right.....and painted stripes can be the way to go.......but painting stripes that look professional is not easy either.. your now adding new paint and color to an older paint and color ......my 2002 limited edition camaro has vinyl stripes that are still like new ( i woulda preferred paint)....so vinyl can last...i do not use a paste wax on them, i actually use a plastic polish and microfiber cloths........i hafta add that my car has only16,000 miles on it and stays in the garage............you could check out Phoenix Graphics before you make a decision.....i purchased a replacement stripe kit for my car so i can replace one of the smaller stripes due to a scratch, but,i haven't used them yet , they are supposed to be a quality co..............

It's not easy being me,,,, but somebody had to say it!!! He has a very nice wife though,,, now don't go taking that the wrong way,,,, Don is very nice as well.

Nancy says thanks... and at least you didn't call me STEVE this time ! See.... you can teach old dogs !

....Most sign and vehicle graphics shops have several different grades of vinyl to choose from and quote you. ....

This was done by a shop that does car graphics and this was the vinyl they recommended. I did notice they are no longer in business though!

I like the gray on gray striping though (slightly different grays). Thinking paint is the way to go for a permanent condition.

Your as bad as I am... I was going to say something about a chevy..

I work for Toyota in the computer department at the manufacturing plant in Cambridge (they make nothing like the 'Stang) and considered the new Camaro (always liked the first Gen CAMARO and FIREBIRD) ... but hate what they did with the side profile and rear.

The Mustang has the agressive look and when you want to go .... it goes ! Nothing like a V8 with standard tranny (why get automatic?????) with 305hp and lots of torque !

Few years I'll upgrade to the newer Mustang with over 400hp (current v6 has the same horespower as my '07 v8 but a 6 banger just aint a v8 !!!).