IGNORED

Medical payment negotiations?

FROG MAN

I have been paying one local hospital monthly payments for services not covered by insurance. They sent me a letter with a 50 % discount offer off the balance due if I pay in full by march 31st. Nice offer but still the balance due would be a sacrifice with Ramona still not working. I think I will call them with a counter offer accepting the 50 % reduction if they will accept maybe a increase in monthly payment $$$'s until paid in full. Anybody had luck with hospital negotiations?

I have been paying one local hospital monthly payments for services not covered by insurance. They sent me a letter with a 50 % discount offer off the balance due if I pay in full by march 31st. Nice offer but still the balance due would be a sacrifice with Ramona still not working. I think I will call them with a counter offer accepting the 50 % reduction if they will accept maybe a increase in monthly payment $$$'s until paid in full. Anybody had luck with hospital negotiations?

Sounds like the doors open and they're already negotiating. Nothing wrong with a counter offer. Ya never know unless ya ask...

Wow....a 50% offer is really good comparing to what we've been able to get from our hospital. Think we got as high as 25% once....

If they refuse your offer, you might want to consider (depending on the $$ amount of the discount) borrowing the 50% elsewhere to pay it off, and then making the higher payments to the lender. Could still save you a large amount of money if you get a decent rate on the loan.

We were paying 7 different medical bill institutions. Now we have only 3 left. Hospital's around here are quick to file magistrate court judgements against those who have a networth (own property etc ). So I am quick to negotiate payments when I receive a bill. My credit score is to valuable to take a hit from negative feedback.

I'm not talking about major debt here but still several thousand dollars in bills. If your major medical has a $5000 deductible and only pays 70% after that then you get the picture. At least payments are interest free.

What really gets me is Medical bills (and I've sure had my share the last few years) when they send them straight to a collection agency without billing you. I've had this happen several times and it really bugs me. Give me a chance to pay the blasted thing first!!

I have a friend who was a surgeon in Canada and is now back in the US. He contrasted the difference as basically in Canada some wait times are longer because the approach is more conservative and the Canadian system

is far less driven by law suits. In the US the frequency and cost of law suits has driven doctors to perform tests that you don't need and would never receive in Canada. Its basically its an argument that has no right answer. They found cancer in my wife's thyroid from a test for another condition so I like that side. The funny thing is that people from all over the world come to the US for health care so I believe that speaks volumes. . .

Quit making you payments and save them in a new account and in 6 months, you could probably settle it for 10 cents on the dollar in a lump sum. :whistling:

Absolutely. :2cents:

I spent 30 minutes in our local here for pharyngitis, and they're trying to charge me $875 + $171 for the doctor. Nothing itemized. Fat chance

they'll see much of that.

I Spoke to my sister-in-law who used to work in collection for a hospital. She said that the offer is pretty generous. Hospitals are hurting like many other business. Plus if you are making small payments that barely reduce the principal that they really would like to get your account off the books. In many cases hospital are getting nothing from welfare patience and getting something is better than nothing.

You could counter their offer and see how bad they want you off the books, if you have some cash.

If you stop payment, for better negotiating position, negotiate before they turn it over to a collection agency.

Wow....a 50% offer is really good comparing to what we've been able to get from our hospital. Think we got as high as 25% once....

If they refuse your offer, you might want to consider (depending on the $$ amount of the discount) borrowing the 50% elsewhere to pay it off, and then making the higher payments to the lender. Could still save you a large amount of money if you get a decent rate on the loan.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

Anybody had luck with hospital negotiations?

After I was hospitalized in Ohio I found out that my insurance company had negotiated the charges down to about 30% of what was actually billed.

I only had one bill for a back brace I couldn't wear, that wasn't covered totally by my insurance and when I called the company that provided it and told them what my insurance would pay, they lowered the bill to that amount. I don't remember the numbers now but it was significant. Something like 10% of the actual bill. And IMHO about ten times more then the brace was worth.

Dont know for sure but as long as your making some sort of payment to them it "shows" your trying to pay it off, as far as a collection agency or credit score. May be a slow pay, but who the heck has like 10K sitting around to just cough up.

Its up to you but I know I get those "checks" in my credit car bills. You can use the check to pay off balences and they give you like 8-10 months before they charge you interest. If you worked out a deal paid them and then made absolutly sure the credit card deal got paid off say a month early that might be a plan. Just thrown ideas.

When I get a medical bill I send them payment immediately. It may only be what I can afford monthly but I want them to cash the check. Many times we have negotiated a payment plan after they cashed a few. Dan your right many will send you to collections had that happen 12 years ago. Now my credit is clean and hoping never again.