IGNORED

About to buy a 2nd Gen Venture

oldryder

Moving up from a GL1500 to a Venture. Wife demands a comfy seat for touring. Gave a lot of consideration to GL1800 but I like the looks of the Venture a lot more, the lower seat, and it seems to have less problems.

Been shopping a lot. Most likely will be buying a 2007 or newer. Best deal I see right now is a 2008 with 9300 miles for just under $10k. got a few questions:

1. Are there any problems specific to certain model years of the 2nd Gen design?

2. has anyone reported successful addition of an electric windshield to a Venture? (if not I'll probably be doing it and will report here.)

3. Buying used Venture still under 5 year OEM warranty is there any paperwork I should be getting with the bike?

4. how do I determine how much warranty is left?

Looking forward to participating here. Already planning my 1st trip this summer to visit daughter in the USMC in N.C.

Mark in MN

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1067In

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=43680

Your warrenty will exp 2013

Test ride it for the known (on some bikes) chirp/whine some

can not hear it some can.. mine has it, just got used to it.

You will have many years of pleasure with the 2nd Gen.

Good luck and spend 12 bucks soon. best money you ever spent.

and how does an electric windshield work on a bike, I have never heard of that. (tilting effect?)

Jeff

Edited by Cougar

Moving up from a GL1500 to a Venture. Wife demands a comfy seat for touring. Gave a lot of consideration to GL1800 but I like the looks of the Venture a lot more, the lower seat, and it seems to have less problems.

Been shopping a lot. Most likely will be buying a 2007 or newer. Best deal I see right now is a 2008 with 9300 miles for just under $10k. got a few questions:

1. Are there any problems specific to certain model years of the 2nd Gen design?

Mostly the rear shock has been a weak link on the RSV. Some have lasted over 10 years while others have pooped out much sooner. Progressive has a better, though expensive replacement but since an 08 will still have some warranty left you should be ok.

2. has anyone reported successful addition of an electric windshield to a Venture? (if not I'll probably be doing it and will report here.)

Never seen an electric shield on an RSV. Im running a Clearview shield which uses the Goldwing air vent.

3. Buying used Venture still under 5 year OEM warranty is there any paperwork I should be getting with the bike?

Just go to a Yamaha dealer, tell him you want to transfer warranty and you should be good. Some dealers do charge anywhere from a 1/2 hr to an hour labor charge while others do it for free, under the guise of inspection.

Ask the previous owner when he actually bought the bike and the dealer will be able to confirm it through their system.

Looking forward to participating here. Already planning my 1st trip this summer to visit daughter in the USMC in N.C.

Mark in MN

Good luck on your new purchase and welcome to the club. Check out our classified section for RSV's as well.

Mark in MN

From what I have read, the biggest thing is the rear shock. Many have been replaced under warranty. Enough that these guys want a recall.

The warranty starts the day the bike left the showroom. Our 2007 has warranty until 2015 because the previous owner bought it in 2010. How it sat there that long I don't know.

To determine warranty, just call the dealership with the VIN#.

To transfer warranty, just provide proof of ownership. They didn't even want to see the bike.

Good luck.

Bert

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1067In

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=43680

Your warrenty will exp 2013

Test ride it for the known (on some bikes) chirp/whine some

can not hear it some can.. mine has it, just got used to it.

You will have many years of pleasure with the 2nd Gen.

Good luck and spend 12 bucks soon. best money you ever spent.

and how does an electric windshield work on a bike, I have never heard of that. (tilting effect?)

Jeff

RE: WINDSHIELD:

I have an FJR with elec windshield. Button on handlebar allows rider to move WS up or down at will. Tilt angle also changes slightly with up/down movement. I like to look over the WS and the electric rise/fall allows me to keep the top of the WS just below my line of sight no matter how I'm sitting. It's possible the seating position on the Venture won't have me moving as much as I'm used to but I'll figure that out pretty quick after I get one.

On my FJR the elec WS is the feature I like most about the bike.

Firecreek Accessories makes an electrically adjustable windshield for the Goldwing, and they are soon coming out with models for HD, BMW and "cruisers" according to their website. Might want to contact them to see if they could make one for the RSV.

http://www.firecreekacc.com/index.htm

Actually I have a firecreek on my GL1500 and have already talked to them about one for the Venture. I'm actually doing a little research for them as soon as I get my bike. It's a fair amount of work developing one for a particular bike so I offered to be a guinea pig and he accepted. I'll report here whats happening as the project progresses. If we're lucky the arc on one of the existing products will fit the Venture fairing. If yes, we'll have a Venture electric option relatively quickly (i.e. a few months instead of a few years.)

Actually I have a firecreek on my GL1500 and have already talked to them about one for the Venture. I'm actually doing a little research for them as soon as I get my bike. It's a fair amount of work developing one for a particular bike so I offered to be a guinea pig and he accepted. I'll report here whats happening as the project progresses. If we're lucky the arc on one of the existing products will fit the Venture fairing. If yes, we'll have a Venture electric option relatively quickly (i.e. a few months instead of a few years.)

Don't forget to come up with the $12 so you can get back on the site. We hate to lose any breathing bikers.

:farmer:

Welcome to the Venture World. I bought a used 2006 venture with 3000 miles on it last October. I moved up from a vstar 1100. I've loved every minute riding once I got used to the extra weight. My only complaint is the cruise control doesn't work. In the classified section you will find a reference to Butt Butler.

he will take your seats and rebuild them with memory foam for a comfy ride. Give him a try.

:080402gudl_prv: