IGNORED

Venture handle bars to RSTD handle bars the easy way

Bubber

Ok Folks I need a little help from the vast knowledge base of the VetureRiders.

Bike info: 2006 Venture Midnight

I want to change out my Venture handle bars and replace them with RSTD bars which I got last fall.

Since the RSTD bars are a little longer and more pull back…..here is what I need to know.

a)Does the upper brake line have to be longer and if yes by how much

I assume that the lowers do not have to be lengthened at all, correct me if I am wrong here. :confused07:

b)Does the clutch master cylinder hydraulic line have to be lengthened and if yes by how much? :confused07:

c)Do the throttle cables have to be lengthened and if yes by how much. :confused07:

d)Do the electrical wires have to be lengthened and by how much? :confused07:

Some have made the swap before so I am looking for the wisdom of the group to do mine.

Should I put all braided stainless steel brake and clutch lines on or just the standard ones? What is the bang for the buck? :confused07:

I thought I would do an article on the project so that it was documented for any members wanting to do it in the future.

So give me your :2cents: if you would.

Thanks Much!

Ok Folks I need a little help from the vast knowledge base of the VetureRiders.

Bike info: 2006 Venture Midnight

I want to change out my Venture handle bars and replace them with RSTD bars which I got last fall.

Since the RSTD bars are a little longer and more pull back…..here is what I need to know.

a)Does the upper brake line have to be longer and if yes by how much, I used mine as are, but could use to be 1/2in longer.

I assume that the lowers do not have to be lengthened at all, correct me if I am wrong here. :confused07: Correct

b)Does the clutch master cylinder hydraulic line have to be lengthened and if yes by how much? :confused07: Could use to be 1in longer

c)Do the throttle cables have to be lengthened and if yes by how much. :confused07: I rerouted mine, so they work, to leave them the same, they could use a inch.

d)Do the electrical wires have to be lengthened and by how much? :confused07: There is prenty of slack in the wire harness.

Some have made the swap before so I am looking for the wisdom of the group to do mine.

Should I put all braided stainless steel brake and clutch lines on or just the standard ones? What is the bang for the buck? :confused07: your call, depends on how much money you want to spend.

I thought I would do an article on the project so that it was documented for any members wanting to do it in the future.

So give me your :2cents: if you would.

Thanks Much!

Good luck, I really like the change, it really helps lessen my neck pain.

Kreg

I'm doing the same conversion except I'm using 1 1/2" risers. Can anyone :bowdown:(Kreg) offer any help as far as doing the conversion with the risers?

I will be selling my stock bars (usedcyclesales) when this is done but that won't be for a while as I'm still in the information stage.

Edited by SMSgt

Any other experiences with their conversions?

I saw some cables on ebay for a pretty good price that were 3" over stock and SS. I would have bought them but I think I might need longer because of the risers. When I put apes on my Road Star I just took the stock hoses to the local hose builder and had SS hoses made and told them how long I wanted and they matched the length plus my added length requirement. I will do that again with the RSV.

I'm doing the same conversion except I'm using 1 1/2" risers. Can anyone :bowdown:(Kreg) offer any help as far as doing the conversion with the risers?

I will be selling my stock bars (usedcyclesales) when this is done but that won't be for a while as I'm still in the information stage.

Installing the 1-1/2" risers is about all the cables and hoses would take on my RSV. I would suspect if you used them AND the RSTD bars the hoses would be too short. Cables might be re-routable.:confused24:

I have not ever installed risers, but I think Walt hit it on the head..... New Cables will be needed.

Installing the 1-1/2" risers is about all the cables and hoses would take on my RSV. I would suspect if you used them AND the RSTD bars the hoses would be too short. Cables might be re-routable.:confused24:

I did this convertion a while back and I just went and change all my hoses and cables to the rstd yamaha braided cables. My logic was right when i thought that these were made for the bars so why wouldn't they work on my venture. They did and I also have the 1.5 risers as well. no problem with length at all. I also know with just the 1.5 risers and stock venture bars the cables and hoses were stretch to about max.

If anyone else is looking for the stock venture bars I also have a pair with wieghts in the garage.

I did this convertion a while back and I just went and change all my hoses and cables to the rstd yamaha braided cables. My logic was right when i thought that these were made for the bars so why wouldn't they work on my venture. They did and I also have the 1.5 risers as well. no problem with length at all. I also know with just the 1.5 risers and stock venture bars the cables and hoses were stretch to about max.

If anyone else is looking for the stock venture bars I also have a pair with wieghts in the garage.

Well I thought it was funny that the RSTD and Venture had different cables so I went and looked them up here is what I found.

RSTD

1D6 26311-00-00

1D6 26312-00-00

4XY 26311-10-00

4XY 26312-10-00

The 26311 and 26312 are the parts of the part number that realy count for both the RSTD and Venture, and you can see they should be identical to each other.

Could they have been rerouted when reinstalled and it wasn't noticed?

Any body else got any ideas here? :doh: :2cents:

Bubber

RSTD

1D6 26311-00-00

1D6 26312-00-00

4XY 26311-10-00

4XY 26312-10-00

The 26311 and 26312 are the parts of the part number that realy count for both the RSTD and Venture, and you can see they should be identical to each other.

Any body else got any ideas here? :doh: :2cents:

Bubber

Doesn't the the 1D6 indicate that it is for a RSTD and the 4XY mean that it is for an RSV? And wouldn't that mean that they might possibly be different lengths? I checked on Barnett's site and there are different numbers for the RSTD and RSV cables.

Just wondering:whistling:

Any other experiences with their conversions?

I instlled bars off ofa Vstar 1100 (they are wider) and also installed the 1 1/2 risers. I had no problems with cables or wiring at all. I did have to relocate the pilot hole in the bars for the control detent. That was no problem though just a simple cinter punch and drill a new hole.:080402gudl_prv:

Doesn't the the 1D6 indicate that it is for a RSTD and the 4XY mean that it is for an RSV? And wouldn't that mean that they might possibly be different lengths? I checked on Barnett's site and there are different numbers for the RSTD and RSV cables.

Just wondering:whistling:

There is and explanation of the Yamaha P/N and yws the first three digits are for the model of the bike. the next set are the p/n and the later numbers are when when they were first used or revisions of the part. Not sure about the last part but the middle 5 digits are the part number the parts people go by. Maybe someone else has more insite on the part number. I will look up what the explaintion is if I can find it.

Thanks

PS I did find this :

The first three numbers apply to the year/model of the bike. middle five refer to the type of part it is. the last 2 are material and color

1D6 = yr/model

56xxx = P/N type of part it is

00 = kind of a revision 11 supersedes 10, 12 supersedes 11, on and on

00 = last two digits material and color

At least that is how I read it.

Edited by Bubber
added info on P/N's

You know what I think I'll do.....I think I'll just contact Barnetts and talk to them about this they are the experts and I can just tell them that I want cables for my Venture whatever number of inches I want over stock. Then there won't be any issues, that's I did with my Road Star and things just worked out great and there was no guessing.:mo money::mo money::big-grin-emoticon:

This is the first time I saw this post, sorry I didn't chime in sooner, but I changed mine out five years ago to RSTD bars and had two inches added to all the cables and in SS. In reality you only need the throttle legthened or re-routed.

When you fininsh the install you will love the results except that your hands will be outside ot the fairing protection. This means colder in the winter and riding gloves in the summer (those bugs sting a bare hand).

:farmer:

OK folks thank for all the postings and PM's on the subject.

I am pretty sure I know what to do now.

Yes I'll take pictures as I go along so some future VentureRider will have an easier time if they ever decide to do the conversion.

I got a lot of great comments and advice, just as I expected I would from such a great bunch of guys and gals. :missingtooth:

Thanks again folks.

Just got to order some parts now. :banana::banana::banana:

Bubber

aka Steve

I put on the riser adopters. I did use longer 2" stainless throttle cables from motion pro because the org. cables would bind up slightly and hold open the throttle when truning to the left. My cost was $42.00 incl shipping for both.

As said before, the electrical wiring has enough for the adjustment.

I think your'e doing the better option because my riser hits the ignition housing. Not enough to interfere w/ the steering because the housing flexes. I couldn't use the chrome housing because it won't flex like the org. black one when hit. I'm gonna order the stainless brake cable to match the look.

Good luck and I'm looking foward to your instructional blog.:080402gudl_prv: