I'm 6 foot tall, weigh-in at about 280lbs, and carbon dated at around 71 years of age, and I can't get my '87 VR up on the centre stand on my own !

Is there a mod to make it easier so I can do it on my own ?

Jim O'D.....

Australia.

Its more leverage than horsepower. Just stand on the tab off the center stand pull up on the bike with the handle by the seat with your right hand and push down at the same time with your right leg. I use my left hand to balance the bike with the handlebar. It pops right up.

:322:

rjjammer

Pumping the suspension up will help, but it's not the whole story.

Getting it on the center stand is more about technique than muscle.

The way I do this is to stand on the left of the motorcycle, left hand on the grip and right hand on the passenger grab bar - bars straight. Push down on the center stand pedal with right foot until the feet contact the ground. Rock the motorcycle a bit to make sure BOTH feet are down. If they're not both down the job will be almost impossible.

Now use your leg to push the pedal into the ground. You want to use your very strong leg instead of your girly man arm. Your right arm on the passenger bar is more to anchor you than to lift with. Rock the motorcycle rearward a bit as you push down and it'll pop up like it's spring loaded.

if you know someone who welds, take the centerstand off and have 1/2 inch taken out of each leg on the center stand and weld the feet back on. this makes it easy to set the bike on the centerstand.

i used to drive the rear tire onto a piece of wood, then put the center stand down.

cheers, Scott

As mentioned, it is all technique.

With the weight of this bike I was concerned about this when I was looking at buying it. The salesman was all of 5' 6 and maybe 120 lbs of skin and bone. He popped it up on the center stand no problem. He was so small he had to get help to push it out of the showroom so I could sit on it. When I got it home I could not for the life of me get it up on the center, till I figured out the technique described above. Now it is so easy a caveman can do it.....

I can remember there being a thread about this very subject! Here's the best tip that works like a charm! Get yourself a piece of 2" x 6" wood, whatever that is in metric, place it either in front of or behind the rear tire (tyre for you metric types) and roll the bike on to the board. Now following the approved method of standing along side of the bike and facing forward place your heel firmly on the center stand (sorry, my spell check does not like centre) and with the hand that is furthest from the bike on the handlebars and the closest hand on the passenger grab bar, gingerly snap up the bike onto the stand. As long as your foot is firmly on the stand the bike will not tip over so do not worry if it wants to lean ever so slightly from where you "think" the bike should be.

My piece of wooden joist was the perfect length to fit in the bottom of my MK saddlebag and is still stored in there to this day...

Getting it on the center stand is more about technique than muscle.

The way I do this is to stand on the left of the motorcycle, left hand on the grip and right hand on the passenger grab bar - bars straight. Push down on the center stand pedal with right foot until the feet contact the ground. Rock the motorcycle a bit to make sure BOTH feet are down. If they're not both down the job will be almost impossible.

Now use your leg to push the pedal into the ground. You want to use your very strong leg instead of your girly man arm. Your right arm on the passenger bar is more to anchor you than to lift with. Rock the motorcycle rearward a bit as you push down and it'll pop up like it's spring loaded.

Yep.....that's the ticket!

Been doing it like that since I figured out the trick. Just to note that "pushing" with the right leg is a bit of an understatement. As you and I are about the same size you will find that if you "stand" on the foot pad it will almost pop up by itself. I have to put very little effort into lifting the bike.

Mike

I'm 6 foot tall, weigh-in at about 280lbs, and carbon dated at around 71 years of age, and I can't get my '87 VR up on the centre stand on my own !

Jim O'D.....

Australia.

I outweigh you by a bunch and about the same age, but if the bike is sitting low or doesn't have enough air in the system, I can't get one up either.... OK no wise cracks...:whistling: A good indication is you have a hard time getting your foot on the center stand pad. I know all about the 'technique', but when it's sitting that low nothing will help outside of riding the front tire up on a flat piece of 2x6, or setting the pressure higher in the suspension.... :backinmyday:

Just head on over here, I'll be happy to show you how to do it. :stickpoke::whistling:

[ame=http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=19+Theodore+Road,+Moura+Steering+%26+Brake,+Moura+QLD+4718,+Australia+%28Budget+Car+and+Truck+Rental+Moura%29&daddr=Cudahy,+WI&hl=en&sll=-24.399417,149.882046&sspn=0.656585,1.106873&geocode=FQgaif4dCYHwCCFsvT4-sMDeLykHb_hzKinBazGZzBRCudGCWw%3BFXqDjwIdIVfD-im5Y6MuOxYFiDHx9bV_R7l6NA&oq=cudahy&vpsrc=0&doflg=ptk&mra=ls&t=m&z=2]http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=19+Theodore+Road,+Moura+Steering+%26+Brake,+Moura+QLD+4718,+Australia+(Budget+Car+and+Truck+Rental+Moura)&daddr=Cudahy,+WI&hl=en&sll=-24.399417,149.882046&sspn=0.656585,1.106873&geocode=FQgaif4dCYHwCCFsvT4-sMDeLykHb_hzKinBazGZzBRCudGCWw%3BFXqDjwIdIVfD-im5Y6MuOxYFiDHx9bV_R7l6NA&oq=cudahy&vpsrc=0&doflg=ptk&mra=ls&t=m&z=2[/ame]

First thing is to make sure the bike is in neutral. If it is in gear, it may be catching the gear before the wheel is off the ground.

I also suggest cutting a half inch out of the legs as that will help a lot. I am also considering putting about an inch and a half extension on the lever length. This will make a big difference in the leverage. And, as noted, it also helps to have it lubricated well. My bike is a standard, so I don't have the luxury of making an easy adjustment in air pressure. I'm also inseam challenged so I tend to run only about 35 lbs in the rear when one-up. Also, progressive springs in the front helped a little as it raised the front some.

RandyA

Jim O'D.....

Australia.

I'm 5'4" and 160lbs soaking wet...the first couple times I thought there was no way I would ever do it but as some have said...it's all technique. I think the most important part of the technique is sticking you tongue out ant to the left (not right):stirthepot:

Seriously though if I can do it with vey little effort, so can you. Trial and error!

You'll get it!!:080402gudl_prv:

Jim, clearly you have the power to do it. What you need when doing it is someone on the right side of the bike. YOU Grab the passenger handrail with your right hand. Place your right foot on the center stand "lever".Then get the stand down so BOTH feet of the stand are on the pavement. This requires you to push the bike away from you. Some find this a bit "unnerving". Once both feet are down. It's all technique. Remember your legs are 5 times stronger than your arms.MiCarl...also said the same... So your right leg pushes DOWN, you lean to the rear of the bike(or right) as you are standing and use your arms to steady and pull...but smooth and gently. Again---it's your legs doing more than half the work along with that lean. Do NOT use your waist or bend your back, keep back straight...as you can stress your back if done improperly. I always use my center stand I am 5'9" and 185. No massive muscle mass here. I wish I could figure out how to post a how to do video for this.

Edited by jasonm.

ThanKs fellas.

We had the monsoon trough here over the last two days and we've had 11 inches of rain ! So I haven't had a chance to do anything yet. After the trough passes through I'll try all your advice and get back to you.

Jim O'D.....:fingers-crossed-emo