IGNORED

Looking for a Really Good Used Touring Bike!

Bobby G

A buddy of mine in Bowie TX will be in the market for a good used touring bike in about a month from now. He has a 3 hour ride to his corporate office in Mt. Pleasant TX (usually goes out on Monday and returns home on Thursday), and wants to start riding instead of spending monster money on gas with the big a$$ truck every week.

So you guys in that area, keep your eye out for some possible referrals I can send his way in February in the under-$5,000 range. He's not sure he's ready for an RSV, but something in the VTX 1300/Kawi Vulcan/Suzuki Boulevard size and amenity range is more what he's looking for. Harley is OK too, but he's thinking liquid cooled. Clean, lower mileage, no maintenance issues, hard bags a plus, windshield/fairing, no specific color in mind. You get the idea. He hasn't ridden in awhile, and will be taking a MSF course, but really doesn't know what's out there.

I'll touch base back in early Feb with this, or drop me a PM if you see something that might fit the bill that I can pass on to him. Personal referrals from reliable bikers (that would be you guys!) are always better then not knowing the bike's history.

Thanks!

My brother is likely selling the Honda Shadow I just fixed for him. The original engine threw a connecting rod bolt (very odd for this model - or any Honda for that matter) at 47,000 miles. I put in a 2002 engine with 32000 miles. It runs like a dream. Hard leather saddle bags. Comfortable enough that my bro did an Iron Butt run on it (with an Airhawk mind you).

Not sure what he will be asking for it but I'm sure it will be under $5k. It is a really nice, comfortable, cruiser. Memphis Shade windscreen. Foot boards, heel/toe shifter, passenger backrest, bar risers. Not sure what farkles he is leaving on (anything mentioned here will be on the bike - there are more items installed but he may be moving to his next bike).

He, and the bike, are in Dallas. He is looking to sell cause we are doing Alaska this summer and he is wanting something more appropriate (Wingabago or BMW).

RR

My brother is likely selling the Honda Shadow I just fixed for him. The original engine threw a connecting rod bolt (very odd for this model - or any Honda for that matter) at 47,000 miles. I put in a 2002 engine with 32000 miles. It runs like a dream. Hard leather saddle bags. Comfortable enough that my bro did an Iron Butt run on it (with an Airhawk mind you).

Not sure what he will be asking for it but I'm sure it will be under $5k. It is a really nice, comfortable, cruiser. Memphis Shade windscreen. Foot boards, heel/toe shifter, passenger backrest, bar risers. Not sure what farkles he is leaving on (anything mentioned here will be on the bike - there are more items installed but he may be moving to his next bike).

He, and the bike, are in Dallas. He is looking to sell cause we are doing Alaska this summer and he is wanting something more appropriate (Wingabago or BMW).

RR

Please send me a PM with your brother's contact info, and I'll pass it on. Thanks!

should be able to find an RSTD for $5k. And there have been a few RSVs sell for that.

Randy, I gave him some info to look at regarding the RSTD, so I'm sure he'll be keeping his eye open for one over the next few weeks.

Change of subject - - we need to get together sometime soon for the tutorial you offered on doing my carb sync. The warmer temps we're having have been great, but the frequent rain is a bummer. How are your next few weekends looking in the event we can get this going? Thanks! BB

I know the timing is not right, however, check out crankyape.com. tomorrow there is a RSV with only cosmetic damage comming up in Georgetown Tx. Current bid is approx 2500. I thought about buying it, but I would be getting it to turn. This is a great deal for the right person. Hope this helps.

Bill

My 2008 Venture is for sale.... but for 5k. Sorry. Good luck on the search, I hope he finds something he likes. :biker:

Um, I'm not looking but did I read that right? 2008 Venture for $5k?

Or was that to say "but NOT for 5k"?

You might get some offers for that for 5k!

Mike G in SC,,,sorry not TX.

He should include the Yami Road Star in his looking. Almost as bulletproof and just as long running as the Venture and they can be had at some really good prices these days. And RoadStarClinic.com is as close to this forum in tech help as you can get for the Roadie.

I'd sell my beautiful 88 Standard Venture for $2500.00, it's got all kinds of up-dates and is in tip-top shape. It has real low milage for a 24 year old motorcycle... 130,000 miles. Doesn't use any oil and get 42 mph riding two up at 65 mph. Lots of guys on this site know how nice my bike is.

Tom

Randy, I gave him some info to look at regarding the RSTD, so I'm sure he'll be keeping his eye open for one over the next few weeks.

Change of subject - - we need to get together sometime soon for the tutorial you offered on doing my carb sync. The warmer temps we're having have been great, but the frequent rain is a bummer. How are your next few weekends looking in the event we can get this going? Thanks! BB

sunday Jan 29th is ok, also the next weekend both days. Lets see what the weather looks like. Could do it here, or maybe meet at Pooles in Ellijay for some BBQ and do it in their parking lot.

I know the timing is not right, however, check out crankyape.com. tomorrow there is a RSV with only cosmetic damage comming up in Georgetown Tx. Current bid is approx 2500. I thought about buying it, but I would be getting it to turn. This is a great deal for the right person. Hope this helps.

Bill

The RSV went for $3,850 and with some cosmetics and a few chrome pieces, someone will have a nice bike.

RandyA

Will get this, along with some pictures for you tonight.

Oh, and I forgot earlier, the Shadow has a Corbin seat with drivers backrest also.

RR

BobbyG, Haven't forgotten you. Brother did not have any good photos. Taking some tomorrow and I will forward them to you along with his contact info.

RR