IGNORED

Security system, worth it or not?

Since I'm tearing down I think now will be the best time to add on things to the bike. It will make for a cleaner install. I was considering putting an alarm system on my Venture, although she will always be garaged. I was considering the the concerns during ride ins & such. What security systems do you have on your 1st gen & what features should I consider having, if any? Are they worth it?

Thanks for your input

IMHO, most of the criminals are only interested in harleys and their chrome stuff. Our older bikes dont seem to be on their radar.

The only problem I have ever had is from what I think is kids getting their kicks and tipping it over, the alarm wouldnt have stopped that.

Brian

My 89 VR came with one. I'm sure it was probably installed when the VR was new for it was a Dr that was the origional owner. So it was an old one. But here were the features it has.

It automatically came on after a few seconds when the ignition was in the off position.

Ignition in the on position it automatically went off.

It had a little red light that blinked when it was on.

It had its own seperate horn that pulses on and off.

The bike did need to be shaken pretty hard to set it off, so it tolerated slight bumps.

I disconnected it taping each wire as to where it goes. I was going to install it on my 91 VR.

Only I was thinking of hooking it to my 4 Stebel horn systems relay.

These days with bikes being stolen then stripped for parts it could be a peace of mind for 4 men could pick up a bike and throw it in a trailer.

I chose NOT :)

Mine had a system when I bought it, but it was old and the wiring was a mess so I removed it.

The real risk is that it will fail leaving you stranded, just when you need that least. A high-end system, well installed should be reliable, but it's complex and failure of the system can shut down the bike.

Balance that against the extra security it offers and make your choice.

Personally, I would always prefer a decent security chain into a well-installed ground anchor.

I'm assume the first gens have both an ignition lock and padlock lugs?

As heavy as these bilkes are, if you utilize both it's not very likely that it will come up missing.

If your afraid of someone messing with it while you are traveling, some very good advice was offered by one of our members. Throw a battery powered baby monitor in the trunk.... Then you'll sleep like a baby...:whistling:

Well, you can install a hidden kill switch if you are that worried. A good strong cable lock will slow down anybody trying to just wheel the bike off but remember, even the best alarms will not stop anyone who REALLY wants to steal the bike...

I figure if someone wants my bike real badly, I will take basic steps to stop them, but if they really want it I wont be able to stop them anyway so thats why I have it insured.

Brian

I'm not all that worried about it. I especially wanted an older bike that would be less desireable to thieves. I do have a strong chain as well as a wheel lock. I was just wondering if a bike alarm was worth the time & effort. I'm originally from NYC, (we tend to ignore alarms) Although a kill switch might not hurt.

Assuming someone knows what he's doing disconnecting the battery on a 1st gen is no trick at all. That would pretty much disable any alarm.

The steering lock on the other hand is quite a different matter. I suppose a well placed blow with a large hammer could break the lock cylinder off, but isn't something that can be done on the sly. With the steering locked no one is likely to ride or push it away.

I'm thinking with the alert from the baby monitor and my 9 mm .... I' m still gonna retain my bike regardless of how it turns out for the Perp...:confused24:

:Avatars_Gee_George:

I'm thinking I have never heard of a bike being stolen except for the HD's. Most of them are stolen because you don't need a key to start them and they just start them and ride away. I guess we did have a dirt bike stolen from our front yard one night because the kid was to lazy to put it away.

I have stayed in some real questionable places but usually having my bike stolen was not my concern. I have insurance so let them have it if they want it that bad.

I have one of those $50 cables with the round key but can't say I've ever used it. Not sure why I bought the thing.

When staying overnight I just lock the steering. I've alway thought at putting a secret shutoff switch somewhere was about as good as anything.

BOO

When I keep mine stored for the winter or a place unknown to me I just use the fork lock and a Bull Dog rotor lock on the front.

You would have to be real determined and built like a herd of gorillas to drag that old girl away.

Don't give it a lot of thought as far as the bike. A few small items have wandered off when the bike was parked in parking lots. A movement sensor system with a audio alarm or one of the pager systems might help with that.

Mike

You know guys,

I've been riding these Ventures all over North America since 83 and early on a Dairlyland agent gave me the best advice on securing a bike from being stolen.......cover it up with a full m/c cover. If they don't know what is under the cover, they are not going to mess with it. Besides, if they can't get it in 60 seconds it's not worth the effort.

It's worked for me since then and I leave the key in the bike with our helmets in the seats under the cover (and my GPS and radar detector on their mounts).

Oh, want to know who makes the best full cover on the market.....E-Z Touring http://eztouring.com/products.htm I'm on my second in over 20 years. Their best features are that they pack small and have a small bungee cord sewed into the bottom seam, so the bottom of the cover is alway taunt.

Hope this helps,

Rick

When I keep mine stored for the winter or a place unknown to me I just use the fork lock and a Bull Dog rotor lock on the front.

You would have to be real determined and built like a herd of gorillas to drag that old girl away.

Don't give it a lot of thought as far as the bike. A few small items have wandered off when the bike was parked in parking lots. A movement sensor system with a audio alarm or one of the pager systems might help with that.

Mike

Yes, I also cover my bike for overnight on trips....BUT think...if you are worried about someone stealing the whole bike or just parts? I had an alarm that sent a radio signal to me(receiver). It had 2 high sense pick ups glued to the frame. Then I removed it. It drained the battery a bit AND Who is going to steal a 30 year old Jap-dresser? If I am worried about things in the saddlebags...lock'em. The 2 little vinyl fairing bags...I simply remove sometimes. Put a sticker on the bike..."owner owns firearms and is trained to use them"...:whistling:

Edited by jasonm.

The best defense is a good offense. An offensive theft deterrent is simple to build, but it will draw some battery power. Basically you take a $6.00 Radio Shack DPDT relay and wire it so it clicks on and off many times per second. You have the secondary of the relay hooked to an ignition coil and run a pair of thin wires from the coil to the left hand grip far enough apart that you don't get an arc. Thief grabs the handlebars to move the bike and gets a 40000+ volt shock. Your bike might be lying on it's side, but it will be where you left it.

Disclaimer...This might be illegal in your area. Use this information at you own discretion. I accept no responsibility for lawsuits, arrests or bike impounds.

Jeff

The best defense is a good offense. An offensive theft deterrent is simple to build, but it will draw some battery power. Basically you take a $6.00 Radio Shack DPDT relay and wire it so it clicks on and off many times per second. You have the secondary of the relay hooked to an ignition coil and run a pair of thin wires from the coil to the left hand grip far enough apart that you don't get an arc. Thief grabs the handlebars to move the bike and gets a 40000+ volt shock. Your bike might be lying on it's side, but it will be where you left it.

Disclaimer...This might be illegal in your area. Use this information at you own discretion. I accept no responsibility for lawsuits, arrests or bike impounds.

Jeff

no thanks:080402gudl_prv: