IGNORED

LED Disappointment

bknsaddle

So I finally decided to bite the bullet and put LEDs for the '06 RSTD on my list for the fat guy in the red suit. He came through, and became the proud owner of the Custom Dynamics 100 LED tail light and a Turn Signal conversion kit.

My need for immediate gratification meant that I installed the tail light first.....and man that thing is bright!

My next step, and where my disappointment started, was to try out the turn signals. I'm no Rocket Surgeon, but I figured this was going to be fairly simple. Well, after 30 minutes of trying to figure out why the front LEDs would not fit properly, I tried the rears and found the same problem. They had a diameter about 1/16 of an inch too large.

My disappointment drove me to send an email to CD, and I was surprised to get a response on Christmas Day. Although Dave from CD said they should fit, I could find no way they could be mounted without screwing up the weather seal or mounting them cockeyed in the lens.

Alas, this morning I shipped them back to CD for a refund and am now looking for alternatives.

Anyone else encounter this problem? Alternative sources? :confused24:

I documented my experience... was great response from Custom Dynamics and no issue with the signal lights.

You sure they sent you the right ones?

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63006&highlight=custom+dynamics

Are these the ones you ordered? What part number did you get? 7507 is the connector type.

http://www.customdynamics.com/yamaha_turn_signal_retro.htm

I thought the response from CD was great, as I never expected to hear from them on Christmas Day.

The problem was not with the bases, but with the board the LEDs are on. They were just a little too big to fit in. Maybe they got a bad batch.....

I do love the tail light!

OK guys so I'm wanting to change my lights to LED also. Can someone give me a reliable source and part numbers for tail light and front and rear turn/running lights? I would prefer a red for the tail light because I would like to go to a clear tail light and clear rear turn signal lenses.

Thanks

Kent

I had the same issue with the ones I ordered not fitting inside the lens. A little 300 grit sand paper fixed the problem. The board is plastic so you can sand the edges pretty easy and get them down to size with no ill effects.

If thats 'the way they are', then the sales page and installation instructions should say so. Although at the price they cost, it should be a drop in fit.

btw they are on sale thru New Years.

While I have a degree from the MacGyver School of Make it Work, the older I get the less inclined I am to redesign/modify expensive stuff that should have been made correctly in the first place. Wife says I'm getting "grumpy".....

I think I'll just keep my eye out for an alternative.....

If thats 'the way they are', then the sales page and installation instructions should say so. Although at the price they cost, it should be a drop in fit.

btw they are on sale thru New Years.

I wonder if everyone is missing this bit (red bold mine):

Our New Moon Shinez
provide a exceptional bright cool white driving light while still providing front turn signal functionality. At approximately 6000K these Genesis® II White LEDs with Eclipze
®
Technology provide the same color as most HID kits and come with a Lifetime Warranty Against LED Failure.
Our Moon Shinez
must
be used with a
Clear or Smoked Lens
(Sold Separately)

Does that explain the improper fit with stock lenses?

Dave

I had the same issue with the ones I ordered not fitting inside the lens. A little 300 grit sand paper fixed the problem. The board is plastic so you can sand the edges pretty easy and get them down to size with no ill effects.

I used a file. Took a couple of minutes to do all four. I'd rather they were too large than too small. Too large I can fix.