I have a GoPro HERO camera with all the included mounts. I've scanned the forum here for mounting suggestions. I'm still a bit unclear on where best to put the mount/camera.

I would like to have a central location (suction cup on gas tank?). I do not want to helmet mount the camera because I tend to "lollygag" (look around a lot!!) and that would cause the video be rather erratic. I would like the central/middle location so that the instrumentation is also visible if possible.

What are the opinions/problems with mounting on the fairing lower or even the front fender?

Also...the camera does not have a safety lanyard. I can rig up a nylon cord of course but was also wondering if anyone has another recommendation?

In the attached thread, Scotty made a trunk mount from parts of an old fridge rack, he posted a couple pictures of the mount.

The stability of the camera is verified in the smooth video that he posted.

It shouldn't make much difference being mounted on a RSV or a Wing :stirthepot:

http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?threadid=64731

There are several styles of clamp on mounts for handlebars and would even work for mounting on crashbars. Found these styles on eBay while looking for a 1/4 stud mount for my Drift.

Mike

The 4th pic is a ram mount and I really like it new it is about 30 bucks from B&H http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/702888-REG/Delvcam_RAM_B_149Z_C1U_RAM_B_149Z_C1U_Motorcycle_Camera_and.html so you may be able to find one cheaper on e-bay or craigslist.

I run with a camera constantly, just in case I ever need evidence. (drivers here are terrible) I use a Panavice 809 window mount on my Honda's windshield. I think in was around $20 at Amazon. Holds very securely and no excessive vibration. Video is very clear (no shake). I also use it in the truck with an additional arm extension.

I run with a camera constantly, just in case I ever need evidence. (drivers here are terrible) I use a Panavice 809 window mount on my Honda's windshield. I think in was around $20 at Amazon. Holds very securely and no excessive vibration. Video is very clear (no shake). I also use it in the truck with an additional arm extension.

What kind of camera is that?

What kind of camera is that?

It's a 2nd Gen Vado. Great picture, HDMI output, 720 HD. It now goes for about $60.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it will only run a batteries not power supply. What I did was buy extra batteries. Each battery lasts about 90 minutes of recording time. It does have a USB for recharging as well.

But it's lightweight & takes great HD video!

The 4th pic is a ram mount and I really like it new it is about 30 bucks from B&H http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/702888-REG/Delvcam_RAM_B_149Z_C1U_RAM_B_149Z_C1U_Motorcycle_Camera_and.html so you may be able to find one cheaper on e-bay or craigslist.

Thanks for the tip on B&H. They look to the very similar in construction and materials used and for the $28.20 price tag it looks like a good bet compared to the $64.95 BIN on the listing on eBay.

The question I have for you is how much tilt can you work out of yours? Most the ones I have checked out have the 360 degree rotation but appear to have very little tilt in any direction, if any.

I'm used to using Bogen heads on my film camera tripods with full rotation and 90 degrees on any axis. Looks like these style mounts are a bit limited. But even 15 degrees would help find a position for a level shot no matter how you mount it.

Thanks

Mike

cabreco, sweet rides! become a member, its saved me a ton of cash! some of the guys on here go out their way to help! my bike runs better than ever!

Thanks.

After 4 days of interaction, documentation & research on this forum I have to say the membership fee is a bargain. What impresses me the most is the members. No matter how ridiculous the question, member here don't make you feel stupid for asking it.

I've already scheduled a outlook reminder to join before my trial expires!

Thanks for the tip on B&H. They look to the very similar in construction and materials used and for the $28.20 price tag it looks like a good bet compared to the $64.95 BIN on the listing on eBay.

The question I have for you is how much tilt can you work out of yours? Most the ones I have checked out have the 360 degree rotation but appear to have very little tilt in any direction, if any.

I'm used to using Bogen heads on my film camera tripods with full rotation and 90 degrees on any axis. Looks like these style mounts are a bit limited. But even 15 degrees would help find a position for a level shot no matter how you mount it.

Thanks

Mike

Depending on the direction you mount it anywhere from 45 to 90 degrees of tilt.

I have thought about getting a camera for the bike.

I think I can take a standard mirror used on many bikes and modify the bar to allow the camera to be mounted just out side the windshield line. This would be fairly easy to put on & off. The threading is on the clutch & brake masters on the 1st gens.

Similar concept is what I used for my radar detector mount. I took a mirror and basically cut out the bends in the middle & brazed it back together.

Just a random thought, I have had several that didn't work as planned though.

Gary

Alfred,

If it were me, I'd use a Ram mount that was designed for your Hero. Yopu can do your research here and then google tha part number to find the best price:

http://www.ram-mount.com/Products/CameraMounts/tabid/109/Default.aspx#/wizard

Then Motorcycle Larry makes a reservoir cover that has a ram ball mount in one end of the cover which is a clean mounting solution.

http://www.motorcyclelarry.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_119&products_id=8

However if you want to have it more center mounted, you might be better off with a handlebar Ram Ball mount that would allow you to get it centered better with probably a long arm with a base that screws into the camera base.

http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045066045050051049085/Default.aspx

Hope this helps,

Rick

I have a GoPro HERO camera with all the included mounts. I've scanned the forum here for mounting suggestions. I'm still a bit unclear on where best to put the mount/camera.

I would like to have a central location (suction cup on gas tank?). I do not want to helmet mount the camera because I tend to "lollygag" (look around a lot!!) and that would cause the video be rather erratic. I would like the central/middle location so that the instrumentation is also visible if possible.

What are the opinions/problems with mounting on the fairing lower or even the front fender?

Also...the camera does not have a safety lanyard. I can rig up a nylon cord of course but was also wondering if anyone has another recommendation?

I use two of the HD GoPros now. I use the suction cup mount. I do take a shoe strings tie on the mounts and tie them off just in case but have never had one come loose. I ride a RSTD I put one on front of windshield on that metal plate. the ohter one facing the back on saddlebag. Oh the battery for the GoPro last 2.5 hours or a little longer.

Edited by Michael_Bishop
to add to.

... I do take a shoe strings tie on the mounts and tie them off just in case but have never had one come loose.

Michael, you sound like me. I have safety ties on my camera & my GPS.

I've never had an issue but it only takes one time!

(I always have nightmares of losing one & instinctively trying to save it & losing control):Avatars_Gee_George:

Andy

I just went out and did some mount tests with the various mounting attachments and gadgets that came with the camera. The suction cup mounting piece will be too short to "see" over the fairing/speedo even if I attach the two short extentions.

I have also spent some time looking at the Ram Mount solutions. I use Ram Mount for my GPS and it works great. I believe I am going to go with the "offset" mount for the brake/clutch reservoir. That gets it high enough and eliminates the excessive extention lengths that otherwise would be required. I may even get two of them and use one to replace the GPS mount that I currently have. That way both mounts would match.

I watched several video/you tubes with other mount positions and I think the brake/clutch mount will suit my Venture best.

Thanks to everyone for their input, I read each one, followed any included links and I appreciate your help.

:thumbsup2:

I use a Ram mirror base mount with a standard extension (3"?) and a camera ball screwed into a threaded adapter for the GoPro's case. That gets it just beyond a Clearview windshield. That puts the camera above my throttle hand for fairly easy access.

Where's the pics of your camera mounted on the bike ?

Would be interested in seeing some photos ?

Brad

Glad to, my friend.

Front. Rear. Mirror mount (Ram). Base (two pieces- top half from GoPro, ball from Ram). Extension (including locking knob - both Ram).

Steve, Looks nice don't remember that when I brought your bike home. Do you take videos and if so does the sound go all funny with wind noise ?

If you take still pictures is it easy to move the camera or is it fixed.

Brad

Steve, Looks nice don't remember that when I brought your bike home. Do you take videos and if so does the sound go all funny with wind noise ?

If you take still pictures is it easy to move the camera or is it fixed.

Brad

I got the GoPro just before Cody last year. I was just learning to use the camera on our vacation. So far the sound is pretty bad. I still haven't been able to do much with the videos (still sorting through over 8,000 pictures Irene shot from the back seat), but I intend to just remove the sound and let the viewer play his/her own tunes.

I haven't used the GoPro for stills. (Got a nice Pentax, so there's really no need.) The setup I have is fairly rigid, but the camera is pretty easy to remove. It has a fixed focal length so it's not all that good for stills or as a family movie camera. At this point it's really just for riding videos.

OK I ordered from Ram Mount, received the mounting gear and have it installed on the Venture. I used the offset mount on top of the clutch unit.

Now a couple more questions:

I did not get the LCD back for the camera and am wondering how to get it lined up correctly for the videos. I may have to order the LCD back in order to get everything simple and easy to use. I don't want to shoot too low or too high (is that making sense?).

I was reading the instruction leaflet (talk about confusing!!! :confused: ) and see that it can do a "live video" feed. So I tried it with my wife's netbook. The netbook (Windows 7 w/all current updates) installs the driver for the camera and then does not recognize it at all!

I tried it on my desktop and it seems to work as it should. But I can't take the desktop outside to get the camera lined up. I suppose I may have to do a couple of "up the block and back" trials until I get the proper alignment.

Do I need a specific program in order to see the video on the net book? Quicktime, Windows Media Player (already installed) or is there something that GoPro requires?

Trying to get to GoPro support is an exercise in futility. :bang head: I finally gave up.

• 1 month later...
OK I ordered from Ram Mount, received the mounting gear and have it installed on the Venture. I used the offset mount on top of the clutch unit.

Now a couple more questions:

I did not get the LCD back for the camera and am wondering how to get it lined up correctly for the videos. I may have to order the LCD back in order to get everything simple and easy to use. I don't want to shoot too low or too high (is that making sense?).

Sorry it took so long for me to find your post. Bearing in mind you may have already dealt with the problem...

The LCD back really doesn't help much. Any sunlight at all and it is nearly impossible to see. I set it up in the shade, clamped the housing tight, then left it there, only removing the camera itself. You'll want to familiarize yourself with the operation of the camera, resolution choice and all. That'll represent your best chance to get it aimed.

I'm afraid I can't help you with the software end. I don't use Windows, so I have no idea what software to use.