IGNORED

83 Venture...help!!!!

Ok, so my 83 Venture started messing up and it seemed like it just might be the battery, but I'm starting to think I was wrong in my initial assesment. It started with the battery voltage meter looking lower than normal, then when I stopped for gas, it would not start back up, turn over slowly then went dark, nothing at all showing up, no fuel pump clicks nothing. I thought maybe a bad connection or the fuse blown but thats not it, anything else it might be? Any help would be appreciated.

I am wondering if your meter was showing that charging wasnt as high as normal which may mean your stator isnt charging up your battery. I would try charging the battery and see if it starts, and keep an eye on your voltage meter, if its too low it wont be charging up your battery and you could be stranded again in a while.

Brian

Start by recharging your battery and take it to Auto Zone and have them test it for free. As was mentioned the stator may be bad, or the connector for the stator wires could be giving you problems. It is a known problem area and several members have removed the connector and soldered the wires together...

I had a mostly dead cell in a battery recently. Battery would charge and look ok on my battery tender, but was only good for about 1 or 2 cranks. When running the bike wouldn't run right. It would miss like it does when there are fuel problems, which I chased for a while. Bought a new AGM battery and all my problems went away.

I knew I needed a new battery, but figured if I could get it running, that was all I needed. Even running it would drop spark at low rpm's.

All good stuff so far,,, also check the connectors on the left side of the engine under the side cover, one has 3 wires and the other has 5 wires. Take them apart for a look see, clean them and put on dielectric grease. If you see results of burning, they need to be replaced. The 3 wire can be soldered, but the 5 wire should be replaced.

All good stuff so far,,, also check the connectors on the left side of the engine under the side cover, one has 3 wires and the other has 5 wires. Take them apart for a look see, clean them and put on dielectric grease. If you see results of burning, they need to be replaced. The 3 wire can be soldered, but the 5 wire should be replaced.

:sign yeah that: All good suggestions, and should eventually be done, but I'd start with the battery if it's fairly old. I had the same thing happen on my '83. Swapped out the rectifier, soldered the whites, and a new AGM battery. Problem solved.

Many have hit very good points here Brian. If the battery is over 4 years old or you dont know when it was replace last, and you plan on keeping the bike, buy a new battery. It will take that out of the equation and you wont have to worry about it. 1st thing I would do is clean all the battery connections, positive to solenoid, solenoid to starter, negative to engine ground. Make sure they are clean enough to eat off and tight. Upgrading the fuse block is another very good idea, and should absolutely be done if your going to keep the bike or use it regularly. The slow starts when hot is very common, the original battery cables are too small, and the original starter is only a 2 brush. A cable upgrade to 4 gauge is what I have done in the past and either a Vmax or a 2nd gen starter is a direct bolt on replacement and is a 4 brush, you wont have a starting problem with one of them installed. My number is in my profile if you want to chat.