IGNORED

leveler

Guest medalhead01

Guest medalhead01

Has anyone tried the levelers for the RSV. I have not seen any picture of what the bike looks like with them. And what you think of them once you have install them on your bike.

Many of us here have added them and most of the responses have been very positive. I've had them on my bike for almost 3 years now and love them. You won't notice a lot of difference from a picture. What I really like about them is that I can ride two up and even pulling a trailer without having to put so much air in the rear shock as to make it uncomfortable. I now run about 35 lbs. even heavily loaded with no problems dragging mufflers in tight curves and etc.

• 4 weeks later...
Many of us here have added them and most of the responses have been very positive. I've had them on my bike for almost 3 years now and love them. You won't notice a lot of difference from a picture. What I really like about them is that I can ride two up and even pulling a trailer without having to put so much air in the rear shock as to make it uncomfortable. I now run about 35 lbs. even heavily loaded with no problems dragging mufflers in tight curves and etc.

Don..so you raised the rear an inch or so and lowered the front an inch??

Is this correct/ I was thinking of lowering the front an in only,,maybe the best way is to just raise the rear an inch? or leave it alone.

i dont pull a trailer but ride 2 UP often

Thanks

• 2 months later...

I also have installed the level links from Diamond R. What a difference that made in handling, as stated before. I don't think you would notice a difference in two bikes if you put them side-by-side (with and without levelers), but you definitely feel the improvement with the level links. What I don't understand is why Yamaha didn't make them that way in the first place. If you try them, I think you will agree, along with the rest of us.

Looking at installing the Diamond R leveling links. In the instructions and discussions in here about installation, it is emphasised to lube bearings and splines while down in the bowels of the bike.

What bearings, what splines?

I was reading the Clymers last night and it appears the only bearings that would be exposed is on the lower shock mount link (3 holes with what appear to be journal bearings). The only splines i could identity are on the drive shaft. This would require removing the 4 nuts/bolts to the rear drive unit, would it not?

Am I seeing this correctly? How hairy is this to do? Please help.

Jeff

Hey Guys, I would like to add these Diamond R links to my 06. How dose this rate on the skill scale od 1 to 3? I only have about 1000 miles on the bike, would you still add grease? Thanks for your words of wisdom.

Adding the Leveling Links to the RSV requires no lubrication. You will not be removing the rear wheel either. You might need some assistance to move things a bit when you get the stock rods off, but I did mine alone in about 8 mins. A couple of bolts to loosen, remove and replace. Full instructions come with the kit.

Enjoy the ride!:080402gudl_prv:

Ditto on the links. The only negative is that the Neosho trailor I pull tends to rock from side to side . It sits level with the ball now and adding more tounge weight has helped but has not solved the tracking problem. I'm also concerned about too much tongue weight due to having to replace the frame on my 97 RS. The subframe cracked. Yamaha replaced it free of charge but I think it had something to do with it. The venture seems to have more support to the sub frame and I have installed a hitch doctor hitch as I ultimately did on my RS. I fabricated a hitch @ home that was on the bike prior to the sframe crack. I pulled the same trailor after the repairs w\out apparent damage. A Yamaha mechanic that I totally respect told me to keep the tongue weight down to around 10# to avoid damage and that the subframe is very similar to the RS.

To make myself clear the trailor had a slight angle to horizontal before the links were installed and the trailor tracked much better than now without more than 5#s tongue weight.

Any insight to this issue would be appreciated.:confused24:

Jeff,

The bearings that are described are the needle bearings of the shock linkage. These bearings are greased very lightly from the factory and repacking them will only help them from causing problems in the future. And what you may find is that the inner races and the bolts going through them will be corroded up. Cleaning this kuck off and greasing them up will only help. There are three, the front attached to the frame, the shock mount, and the shock links, all of which can be gotten to by taking the links off, unbolt the shock and take out the front bolt.

And James, if I understand you correctly, I think your tail (trailer) may be wagging the dog (bike) which is a condition of not enough tongue weight. If I remember right, the Neosho has somewhat of a short tongue which requires you to load most of the weight in front of and above the trailer axle. The last thing you want is negative tongue weight. And what most folks don't know is that when the bike and trailer start moving, the tongue weight decreases, so having a 30 lb tongue weight sitting still is not a bad thing.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Thanks Rick. Also, thanks for providing Diamond R with the design of the leveling link. I don't have the equipment to make my own out of stainless. I am really looking forward to trying this out.

I took the MSF advanced rider course last summer and had immense trouble with the low speed turns. Part of it was my clutch going out (at 35000 mi. - GRRR - and just out of warranty), but most of it was the balance of the bike combines with my lack of skill.

At least the leveling links should take care of the bike balance. As for the skill ....

Thanks, Jeff

Thanks Rick. Also, thanks for providing Diamond R with the design of the leveling link. I don't have the equipment to make my own out of stainless. I am really looking forward to trying this out.

I took the MSF advanced rider course last summer and had immense trouble with the low speed turns. Part of it was my clutch going out (at 35000 mi. - GRRR - and just out of warranty), but most of it was the balance of the bike combines with my lack of skill.

At least the leveling links should take care of the bike balance. As for the skill ....

Thanks, Jeff

Jeff, for me the leveling links help a bunch in low speed cornering and in town traffic. I ride a lot of 2 up, so there is a benefit there as well. I used to have that "rookie" looking wobble when pulling up to a stop. That all went away with the links. Amazing.

The links will raise the back end 3/4" or so. To see how it works for you, pull your bike back tire up on a 1x4 and sit on it. Some have concern because of their height. This is a way you can check it. I'm 6' 2" and I didn't notice a change when sitting on the 1x4, but the handling was much better. Hope this helps!:080402gudl_prv:

Thanks Boomer. The additional height won't bother me at all (6'4"). I also ride 2 up occaasionally and find myself fighting to be steady coming into a stop. I always just chalked it up to not being a great driver. Now I have a great excuse (until I install the links).

Any pointers/excuses I can use for my golf game?

Jeff

Thanks Boomer. The additional height won't bother me at all (6'4"). I also ride 2 up occaasionally and find myself fighting to be steady coming into a stop. I always just chalked it up to not being a great driver. Now I have a great excuse (until I install the links).

Any pointers/excuses I can use for my golf game?

Jeff

Afraid not Jeff....I was always told I didn't know my A** from a hole in the ground, so stay away from golf!!

Thanks Rick for your info. I never considered the effect of drag decreasing tongue weight in motion. Especially since the trailor tracked so well before I put in the links. The aerodynamics must of changed W\ the trailor leveling @ horizontal as opposed to a slight downward angle to horizontal before. Just like back in the day when everybody was jacking up the rear end of their cars to look cool adding extra weight to the front suspension and wearing out balljoints and the like.

My wife & I are planning to go to the AspenCash rally in Ruidoso NM 5/17-5\20. Have you ever been or have you heard if it is a good rally to attend. I've wanted to go for a # of yrs. I love that part of New Mex. We are also planning to ride down to Carlsbad caverns during that trip. It's really cool too. Being almost neighbors maybe Ill see you in person sometime.

So long !

No James,

I have never been to the Aspen Cash but have been to the Golden Aspen countless times in Sept. I've had friends that have been to the spring ride and said it was just a miniature version of the Fall Rally.

But what I told you about the tongue decreasing at highway speed is not near as important to the proper loading of the trailer with most of the heavier weight over the axle and in front of it and the lesser weight articles behind the axle.

Hope this helps,

Rick

One way or the other I am going to try the leveling links. Now I am trying to figure out if I should make or buy them. Going by the link on making them is doesn’t seem too hard. There was a post somewhere in this group that Diamond R’s may be made of stainless. That could make a difference to me.

Can anyone confirm the material used by Diamond R?

Has anyone had trouble making them from the information here?

Thanks

Low Rider Jerry

Yes...the ones sold by Diamond R are stainless. The homemade ones on my bike are also stainless. Diamond wasn't making them when Bob Dakin had somebody local make ours up but if I were in the market now and had to make them myself, I would just buy them from Diamond R. They quality is great and the price is fair.

• 9 months later...

Guys, I thank you in advance for all of your useful information. I have ordered my levelling links from Diamond R and I will let you know how I made out with them.

Since joining this site, I have found a ton full of very useful free information that I may never get at a dealership. You guys keep up the good work and I look forward to riding with some of you in the very near future.

Thanks again, John...

I also installed the Diamond R leveling links on mine and can say they did make a difference in handling. However I like the slammed look and since there is no chance in the near future of me pulling a trailer I am going to lower mine with the barons kit and sliding the fork tubes.

Anyone interested in a set of links I have mine in the classified section.