IGNORED

2up long haul on venture?

meach

Steve,

You have gotten alot of good information that should help in your decision. Regardless I would like to add my input as my wife and I have put about 200,000 miles on what is now my 3rd RS Venture. And before that we put over 500,000 miles on 5 first generation Ventures before I finally broke down and moved to the RS Venture in 2000. And frankly I was not very excited about moving from a 1st gen Venture (where you rode on the pegs) to a cruiser with floor boards, but I needed a new bike and the Venture was the best buy for the money especially with a 5 year unlimited mileage warrenty.

You say you are 6' 2" so you will probably appreciate riding with floor boards that allow you to move your feet more than you would on a touring bike with pegs. Even though the GL1800 is probably one of the best touring bikes on the market, it has been a problem with riders with long legs not having enough leg room.

Now the RSV is not necessarilly the best handling bike available but with a couple of minor changes (which includes tires) it will handle better than most, even the GL. And even though it only has 1300ccs it will ride 2 up, pulling a trailer comforably all day long.

And the best part of belonging to a group like this, is that you will never want for information about ths bike. And a shamless plug for our member vendors, you have a talented number of members who provide products that will improve the handling, comfort and other minor deficiencys of this bike.

Hope this helps in your decision,

Rick

Lots of good info to think about from folks. It's always good to hear from actual owners. While looking around for one to test drive I will also be looking to see whats out there for sale. No hurry since we have the vtx to ride and staying close to home anyway over the winter. Haven't decided yet if we'll go new or used, may depend on what we can find and any deals that might be out there and how the economy goes. It appears from the history page that each year is a different color or maybe two, not sure if that will be a factor with the wife.

thanks again, Meach

I will mention one more touring bike to consider, but it is going to stir up a hornet.s nest! You may want to check out the Victory Vision. Yes, it is a tad futuristic looking, a George Jetson scoot if ever there was one, but the more you learn about them, the more desirable they come for comfort, convenience, and roadability. They are a tad pricy, but not quite as bad as a Beemer...

Glad to see you found your way over here Steve.

I'm sure we can work out a test ride.

I saw a nice black cherry RSV at Riders Hill in Dalonagah a couple of weeks ago. You might want to give them a call and see if they still have it.

http://ridershill.com/

You asked about the size my trailer but I couldn't remember the cubes. Hears a link to what I pull.

http://www.alumaklm.com/motorcycle-trailers/item/50-mct-towable-motorcycle-trailer.html

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=180&pictureid=19037

Hey Mike, yea I was thinking of you as a back up plan to test drive. Thought if any of the local dealers had anything to drive I'd take em up on it. just been looking around while I'm out and about. Not in any hurry to do anything, probably not until after first of the year unless I find a deal too good to pass up, mainly just curious what's out there. None of dealers nearest me have anything but the dealer in Lawrenceville had a couple. Been looking on line (ebay, craigslist, etc.) around the country for comparisons.(its nice having all this free time to do whatever since I've retired). I'll check out RH next time I'm thru there.

Nice looking trailer. Couple years ago in TN I met a couple in a campground that was pulling a popup camper behind their HD, they were from Oregon. Said as soon as snow breaks they leave and travel all summer and get back home before snow returns.

Now the RSV is not necessarilly the best handling bike available but with a couple of minor changes (which includes tires) it will handle better than most, even the GL.

Well, Rick, I do have to disagree with you on that one. The superior handling characteristics of the GL1800 are the very first thing I raved about when I first rode one a couple years ago. The bike feels lighter, is better balanced, steers with little effort, much, much easier to handle at slow speeds, awesome tracking and it's like a crotch rocket in the twisties.

A week and a bit after purchasing my '03 GL1800, I sold my RSMV. I hadn't ridden it since before making the deal on the GL but had ridden the GL a fair amount in that short time. The day the new owner came to pick up the RSMV, I rode it up the block and back and nearly lost control and dropped it as I was turning around. That never seemed to be an issue before, when I was riding it regularly; however, I always did find that I had to "muscle" it and be very conscious of balance during those slow-speed turn arounds. On the Wing, it's a piece of cake in comparison.

I don't mean to put down the RSV with these comments but let's face it ... it's not one of the best handling bikes (those "minor changes" do greatly improve it, which I know for a fact, but still not to the level of the GW). Now, compare the RSV to a GL1500 and it's a whole different ball game.

That being said, I'm sure there will be those who will refute my opinion.... (and it is just "my opinion")

Didn't want to kill myself when I got back into riding several years ago so I got me a 750 shadow (dry wt = 669), wanted something bigger for trips so couple years later got my vtx1300 (wt = 709) had to get used to a little more weight in really slow turns like U-turns but the added size made the highway rides smoother, when I test drove a GW (wt = 792) not long ago had no problem maneuvering it around the parking lot, was a little surprised how easily it seemed to be pushed around by crosswinds at higher speeds (took it for a spin on the interstate) . The GW drove more like a sport bike from my younger days.

I've gotten used to cruisers both going slow in parking, etc. and on the highway. I can see why the RSV would be harder to handle in slow manuevers (wt = 800+) but a nice smooth ride out on the road. Stopped by a dealer today that had a couple RSV's, had one sitting next to a GW so had wife sit with me on each one to see what she liked, she thought the RSV was more comfy but the GW had more room for her but not me, I'm just too cramped on one, the RSV felt much better.

Gosh Rick,

It's sure a good thing that I didn't say GL1800 because I surely didn't mean to discredit the GL1800 or ruffle any feathers? But I did say "Even though the GL1800 is probably one of the best touring bikes on the market, it has been a problem with riders with long legs not having enough leg room". I was just making a point that these are two are completely different bikes with different riding styles. And.....even though the RSV does have some deficiencies it only needs a few changes to make it a better handling bike.

When I took my first RSV (a 2001) to Arkansas for the first time, I hated it because it was such a pig in the corners and nothing like my 93. That's when I started looking at possible changes and came up with changing to a narrower front tire to make it tip in quicker. That was a good improvement but still not what I wanted. That's when I started looking at the attitude of the bike and realized that it sat (what I considered a half a bubble) low in the rear making it a great bike going straight but lazy in the curves. And after I saw that Barrons lowered the rear by changing to longer links, I realized that I could raise the rear by using shorter links....thus the birth of the "DiamondR Leveling Links". Gosh it sure took me a long time to convince Allen to manufacture these links and add them to his product line, but he finally came around and the rest is history.

But back to your GL1800, where box stock it also has several deficiencies which can use some improvement to the forks, head bearings, rear shock and fork brace to make it handle like it should. I have a friend that sent his GL1800 forks off to Traxxion Dynamics to have them rebuilt to the tune of around $1,000 and that really made a difference. But then he still needs to address the wimpy rear shock. It turns out that the GL1800 has the same diameter forks as my CBR600 track bike? I would love to get a hold of a GL1800 for about a week and make these improvements.

Anyway they are all good bikes and they all have their issues,

Rick

Well, Rick, I do have to disagree with you on that one. The superior handling characteristics of the GL1800 are the very first thing I raved about when I first rode one a couple years ago. The bike feels lighter, is better balanced, steers with little effort, much, much easier to handle at slow speeds, awesome tracking and it's like a crotch rocket in the twisties.

A week and a bit after purchasing my '03 GL1800, I sold my RSMV. I hadn't ridden it since before making the deal on the GL but had ridden the GL a fair amount in that short time. The day the new owner came to pick up the RSMV, I rode it up the block and back and nearly lost control and dropped it as I was turning around. That never seemed to be an issue before, when I was riding it regularly; however, I always did find that I had to "muscle" it and be very conscious of balance during those slow-speed turn arounds. On the Wing, it's a piece of cake in comparison.

I don't mean to put down the RSV with these comments but let's face it ... it's not one of the best handling bikes (those "minor changes" do greatly improve it, which I know for a fact, but still not to the level of the GW). Now, compare the RSV to a GL1500 and it's a whole different ball game.

That being said, I'm sure there will be those who will refute my opinion.... (and it is just "my opinion")

Gosh Rick,

It's sure a good thing that I didn't say GL1800 because I surely didn't mean to discredit the GL1800 or ruffle any feathers?

Anyway they are all good bikes and they all have their issues,

Rick

Well, just so you know... no feathers were ruffled here.

Guess I should mention (whimpering in the corner LOL) that my '03 GL1800 has had the Traxxion suspension upgrade; however, I don't know to exactly what extent as I do not know who the PO was since I bought the bike from a dealer. That being said though, I have ridden 2 other GL1800's that did not and again, IMHO, they handled better than my RSV.

Now, regarding those "long-legged" fellers, I guess that leaves me out. Having only a 33 inch inseam, I have no trouble riding all day long on the Wing with my legs in that "cramped" position ... yet on the RSV I was constantly changing my foot position to keep comfortable. One thing I find on the Wing is that the seating position seems to cause me to keep my torso/back straighter and therefore I'm not slouching and causing unnecessary strain on my back, shoulders, and neck. That was only rectified by installing a back rest on the RSV which I don't find is necessary on the Wing.

I don't mean to discredit the RSV ... I'm just voicing my experience of a comparison between my RSMV and my Wing. Even though both Nina & I really liked the RSMV, I find that on the Wing, it is easier to relax and enjoy the ride, no matter if it's slow city driving, getting around a parking lot, blasting thru some twisties, or tearing up the slab. According to many others, it's a different story in favour of the RSV.

Diffrn't strokes for diffrn't folks....

Yes, word of warning here, low speed parking lot maneuvers tend to be a little difficult on these bohemoths! Never stop with the wheel turned, and never try to start without the front wheel pointing straight ahead. If it does decide to take a rest, gently let it take a nap, the crash bars WILL do their things. There are lowering kits that do help handling ever so slightly by lowering their center of gravity, but big and heavy is big and heavy...

Without trying to denigrate all those who sing doom and gloom about the slow speed handling of the RSV, I just do not agree at all.

Yes, out of the box with stock suspension and horrible Brickstone tires it is definitely bad below 10 MPH, but in my opinion, a slightly raised rear, good tires and proper air pressure in both tires and suspension totally resolves all of the problems. The reduction in rake and trail from the changed suspension is critical to the proper handling, as is fitting proper tires that work well with the new configuration. Proper tires and pressure with stock suspension will make significant improvements, but you cannot get it right without the slight reduction in trail.

Personally, I do not often use the rear brake at all while moving, even in the parking lot. I notice zero problems with stopping or starting with the front wheel turned. In fact, with my garage oriented to the side of my driveway, every single departure and return has me starting and stopping with the front wheel turned.

So to anyone who does not already have personal experience with this machine in different configurations, please realize that not everyone agrees that it handles poorly. But I do agree 100% that this bike is very heavy and it is foolish to try and hold it if you let it lean too far to the side while it is stopped. Just let it settle down on the crash guards - they work fantastically and will prevent all damage.

Goose

I'll just say it again Rick,

They are two different bikes and the only similarity between the two are that they are both long range touring bikes. And the riding style is like comparing a horse with a english saddle to that of a western saddle.

Now I'm leaving in the morning where I'm taking 12 friends for 3 days of riding the Arkansas Ozarks. And I'll be chasing 2-Concourse C14s, 5 - FJRs, a Triumph Sprint, a 650 V-Strom, a Honda VFR, a BMW R1200GSA and a GL1800. And frankly I don't expect any problem keeping up with any of them. But then I don't have a stock suspension either.

Later,

Rick

Well, just so you know... no feathers were ruffled here.

Guess I should mention (whimpering in the corner LOL) that my '03 GL1800 has had the Traxxion suspension upgrade; however, I don't know to exactly what extent as I do not know who the PO was since I bought the bike from a dealer. That being said though, I have ridden 2 other GL1800's that did not and again, IMHO, they handled better than my RSV.

Now, regarding those "long-legged" fellers, I guess that leaves me out. Having only a 33 inch inseam, I have no trouble riding all day long on the Wing with my legs in that "cramped" position ... yet on the RSV I was constantly changing my foot position to keep comfortable. One thing I find on the Wing is that the seating position seems to cause me to keep my torso/back straighter and therefore I'm not slouching and causing unnecessary strain on my back, shoulders, and neck. That was only rectified by installing a back rest on the RSV which I don't find is necessary on the Wing.

I don't mean to discredit the RSV ... I'm just voicing my experience of a comparison between my RSMV and my Wing. Even though both Nina & I really liked the RSMV, I find that on the Wing, it is easier to relax and enjoy the ride, no matter if it's slow city driving, getting around a parking lot, blasting thru some twisties, or tearing up the slab. According to many others, it's a different story in favour of the RSV.

Diffrn't strokes for diffrn't folks....

I agree with goose on one point here, get the the brickstones off and you solve most of the preceived handling problems, the RSV is a different bike from the wing or the hd.

Take one for a 500 mile ride and then you will know, and I think you will want one after that, in the saddle on the road is how to make the final decision on the bike to purchase.

By the way I have had both RSV and Goldwing's 1800 and 1500.

gregg

I ride about 35,000 miles a year with about 70% of that 2 up. My wife likes the bike. She is comfortable on it on long rides. We have done many 600 miles days and pretty much been all over the USA on it. One thing is if I try and ride out the tank of fuel everytime before I stop she will get a little uncomfortable by the end of the 3 rd tank, around 400 miles but if I stop every 100 miles or so we can go all day long. The most I have done on the RSV in a day was from Sarasota Florida to Marion, illinois. It was around 925 miles and I gotta tell ya I was wore out. My knees and hips hurt so I had to call it a day. I think you and the wife will love the Venture especially coming from another cruiser style bike

Welcome,

The trunk on the 2nd Gen Venture can be moved back an inch providing even more passenger comfort. There is a second set of holes in the trunk.

Did you move yours back? Do you ride 2 up and what did it do when moved back? Does the passenger have any issues with setting on the edge on the back of the seat

I cannot move the trunk back on our 09 RSV trike, but many folks have done so on the other forum I belong to. Everyone seems real happy with the extra passenger room. Wish I could do it on our trike.

CAUTION: Yamaha had a recall. Anyone who has a 1999 or 2000 RSV needs to make sure the trunk mount kit was installed, and inspect for cracks on the trunk floor.

Posting:

After owning my bike for 9 years and logging nearly 80k miles, I did not know until

the recent WV Ride that our trunks were set-up to allow for an alternate mounting

location that would give the passenger about an extra 1" of room away from the rider.

Anyway, this afternoon I did this and took some photos for others who maybe did not

know this.

First, remove the foam trunk liner:

http://www.macesoftware.com/Venturous/foam.jpg

This photo shows the 6 screws that need to be removed to separate the ABS trunk from the

trunk frame. A 4mm hexx wrench is needed to remove these.

http://www.macesoftware.com/Venturous/trunkscrews.jpg

After removing the screws, carefully lift the back of the ABS trunk off of the frame. Be

careful not to pull too hard. Don't not try to lift the trunk completely off the frame as there

are cables attached for CB and radio. You could disconnect the cables to remove the trunk

completely but there is no need for this project.

http://www.macesoftware.com/Venturous/trunk_lift.jpg

Most likely, a rubber spacer will be attached to the rear of the ABS trunk. Gently remove that

from the trunk. It is held by double sided tape. After removing, lay the rubber spacer

over the chrome frame as shown below. Also, while working under here, it would be a great

time to clean and polish those areas which are normally out of sight and out of mind.

http://www.macesoftware.com/Venturous/trunk_remove_spacer.jpg

http://www.macesoftware.com/Venturous/trunk_spacer.jpg

As you look at the chrome trunk frame, you will see three holes at the front mounts, and

two on the rear. See photos. To move the trunk back about 1" and increase passenger

room, simply move the trunk back to the alternate mounting holes.

http://www.macesoftware.com/Venturous/front_brackets.jpg

http://www.macesoftware.com/Venturous/rear_mounts.jpg

Now you will notice on the factory mounting location, nuts are welded to the frame. To use

the alternate mounting location, you will need to add your own nut. Tighten the 6 screws

to 58 in-lbs

After attaching the trunk to the frame using alternate location, simple replace the foam liner

and you are done!

Good post but I found one thing different on my '99. Mine had nut welded on at both mounting locations. All I had to do was move the trunk back and reinsert the bolts.

One thing I need to say here though. The Venturers, in the past, have gotten real upset if anybody posts any of their tech articles here. I may well have to remove your post.