IGNORED

4/5th gear

Yamamike

More likely a pin fell out of the shift drum. Seems to be a fairly common problem. If that's what it is you wouldn't need to pull the engine or split the cases - it's behind the clutch basket.

I'm pretty sure somebody who has pictures will be along........

OK so I bought it!! Now I need two things (for now:o)...info on how to check and fix this pin issue as well as proper location to hook a tie down when trailering.

Actualy...would that be in the manual?? Never thought to bring that home with me.

Ride safe,

Mike

PS; thanks again for the input so far!

Here are a few pictures. 1st one is of the shifter segments in a 1988 motor that is being reassembled. This is right rear side. Clutch pack would go on the shaft sticking out. This is the new style segment in block.

Second picture shows difference between new and old style segments, old is on the right. The small pins can come out, not allowing shift mechanism to be able to rotate cam.

Last picture shows what it looks like with clutch pack in block.

Gary

DSC01304.jpg

I like to anchor the front by wrapping a pair of tie down extensions around the fork tubes just above the lower tree. They will hang through the fairing and you can hook on to them.

You need to find a pair of sturdy anchor points on the rear. On the later models the rails around the bags are sturdy enough, but don't know about a pre-86. Again I like to use extensions to protect the motorcycle. Of course you don't want the straps rubbing against anything.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31smQOpwQ6L._SS500_.jpg

Yeah Carl, I was planing to get a pair of those straps. My concern as you mentioned is to hook on to the forks without rubbing and/or damaging the fairing. On bikes without fairings I've always just tied on to the handlbar.

I feel like a little kid right now and can't wait to get her here!

Ride safe,

Mike