Ok, have a 2001 RSV and with 85,000 miles I have always used high test gasoline thinking it gave it more power and better miliage, wrong, this is the thoughts of a majority of people includeing myself until SkyDoc enlightened me. The RSV was designed to run on 86 octain and not high test. Just made a trip 2 days ago from Va to St Louis, running 75 and 80 MPH just about all the way, I averaged 42.2 MPG with lowest 38.7 on one tank full. The bike also ran better, and smoother than it has ever ran, even the whinn sounds quiter. Just think of all the money I wasted on high test in those 85,000 miles at 30 cent more per gallon. So guys and gals, go to regular gasoline, it will make a very noticable differance to your advantage, again thank you SkyDoc. JB:dancefool::big-grin-emoticon:

Hi,

I have a 1988 Venture Royale, and have questions.

When you say your mileage dropped to 30 and now you're going to the garage,

What are you going to do to fix it?

Bought mine in June 2011, the previous owner said it only gets 30MPG.

He was right, long trips, around town, always 30MPG, maybe up to 32.

I have also been putting in premium, thanks for the heads-up.

What needs to be done?

Thanks for any info you can offer.

Ed

I am interested in this answer. My RSTD gets about 32 mpg no matter how I ride it i.e. around town, on the highway, rev it up more, lug it around... Also, the prior owner said he always ran the highest octane gas that he could buy. I read that 86 was fine, on this website after I had refilled for the first time with 92. The bike always popped a bit out the exhaust on decelleration. Nothing bad, just noticable. On 86, it does not do this as much I don't believe. Kind of interesting.

There are a lot of things that will cause low miliage, How long since you checked valve adjustment, (book calls for every 26,000 miles) if its been a lot of miles remember there is no warning when they get too tight, no noise and you may end up with valve stems bent. Carb adjust, they say dont worry about it if the bike idles good, not so check them every 30 thou or so or if you think they are out. Plugs, gas and air filters, tire pressure? I have 85,000 on my RSV and had always used high test, was averageing 34 to 36. I did a valve adjust, 14 or 16 valves were extreamelly tight couldnt get a .0001 thou gauge under them, replaced all 14 shims, while down replaced air and gas filters, installed new plugs, flushed the radiator, had the carbs tuned, and installed a new clutch up grade. After all this, was still around 39 MPG. Was talking to SkyDoc and he asked what type of gas I ran, and he enlightend me on this. The RSV is designed to run on 86 Octain, (its in the book) the high test gasoline fire at 400 degress cooler than regular, thus it is firing too late to get full ignition and full power on the comprssion stroke. I switched to 86 Octain and 1oz of Sea Foam for each tank of 3 gals or more. The trip to St Louis was 735 miles, runnning 75 and 80 all the way I adveraged 42.3 MPG, this is the best preformace this bike has ever gotten, plenty of power, plenty of pick up, and great miliage, believe me, SkyDoc knows what he is talking about when it comes to these bikes. Total cost for all the work was around 300.00 and I did all the work myself and so can you, just take your time. Make sure you check your tire pressure every week, this will also cause a differance. But my bike is now running better than it did when new and I am one happy camper.:witch_brew:

No need to run anything higher than 87 octane unless the bike pings. The higher octane is only for preignition problems. As for fuel milage the guy getting 32 all the time has an issue with the bike. At 55-65 I get 40mpg 65-75 i get about 35 or so and at 90 I get about 29. Pulling a trailer I get about 30-34 depending on the speed.

Gas is not all the same: My boats had an issue with gas and we got a test kit that checks ethanol, gas water. . . content. Gas stations across the street had very different gas. The cheaper one had more water and about 15% ethanol ( and we are an E-10 state) we hit several gas stations. The test kits are available from several vendors ( http://www.fuel-testers.com/ ). Our marina found repeated problems with gas and has several stations that are don't go to. We did find that the brand name slightly more expensive gas was usually but not always better quality. I also put a shot of marine stabil in my tractor, boats and my bike. Ethanol is evil stuff that eats rubber o rings and burns less efficiently than gas. That said my 89 always ran right at 40mpg and the new bike only has 600 miles on it but i suspect it's similar...

And my 02 RSV I bought in may has never dropped below 42mpg. Two best trips I got 50 and 52 mpg. In both cases i had a 200 pound passenger on the back, once my wife, the other my son.

Speed averages were around 60 mph, running e10 fuel and using 5th gear on highway.

Bob

Marshall, il

Hi,

What needs to be done?

Ed

Sorry I missed this. Best things you can do is sync the carbs and Sea-Foam. Color Tuning them would be nice if you knew someone that had one. I still can't find mine. If the plugs are still in your carbs at least no one has messed with them. Again sorry I missed this things have been crazy around here.

37.22 MPG this weekend on the VentureMax, over about 132 miles.

92 octane Sunoco.

Somewhat twisty roads, but very little town type stuff. Not a constant speed interstate type ride at all.

98% very sensible riding. Only used that extra HP one short burst, but some moderately strong acceleration usage.

Still has a ways to go.

Gary

No need to run anything higher than 87 octane unless the bike pings. The higher octane is only for preignition problems. As for fuel milage the guy getting 32 all the time has an issue with the bike. At 55-65 I get 40mpg 65-75 i get about 35 or so and at 90 I get about 29. Pulling a trailer I get about 30-34 depending on the speed.

Yup, that's my 87 VR, too. Very definite link between mileage and speed. My Virago is similar. One of these days, maybe I'll get one of these 50mpg bikes I keep hearing about. ;)

Jeremy

Okay, okay, I know there's others out there wondering so I'll step up to the dummy plate & ask for all of us embarassed members:

WTF is "Sea Foam"?:confused24:

It is a fuel passage cleaning additive, also can be used in oil sparingly before a change.

Get it at walmart & auto parts stores. Red & white can, about 12 oz size. $8 on average seems like.

It really does help in some cases, but has been known to foul plugs.

About half a can in tank, run it hard then let set overnight or so then run it hard some more.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Just completed a 1,537 mile round trip from Va to St Louis and back, just finished a complete tune up including valve adjustment and carb tune and new clutch upgrade before I left, also switched from using premium gas to 86 octain regular, bike ran better than it ever has since I bought it in 04, and it now has 85,000 miles on it. Overall gas average was 38.786 MPG and this was running 75 to 85 MPH all the way. Playing with differant speeds I found my bike was the happiest at 82 MPH, it ran the smoothest, and best performace ever, was like finding the G Spot, once found it was a pure pleasure to watch it preform.:cool10:

Hi,

What needs to be done?

Ed

I have a 88 Standard Venture (the fastest color - Salt Lake Silver/Anthony Gray) with 127,000 miles on it; I get 42 - 43 mpg @ 70 mph and use the mid-range gas. Two years ago I also got 30 - 32 mpg. I changed the plugs, plug wires, did the Sea Foam thing, had carbs gone through, new diaphrams and slides, new air cleaner, had valves adjusted (first time ever... and one was too tight), Carbs Sync, and with all this my milage went up to 38 mpg, AND THEN it went up to 42 - 43 mpg when I did the Needle Shim Mod. :cool10:

03 midnight 32,000miles---best mpg ever 54 in NM mountains. Been over 50mpg 3 or 4 times. Worst about 32mpg in high winds at highway speeds. Overall average about 40mpg. I do not want to touch anything until something seems wrong. It has k&n filters, dyna ignition, and sampson fishtail pipes.

Bill