IGNORED

Would like opinions on HD

Orrin

I have a chance to buy a 1996 HD Heritage Softail Classic with about 10k miles on it. Has everything and is bone stock. Well maintained bike. Always stored inside and heated garage. All maint. done by HD dealer.

Seller wants $7-7,500 for it. I think it's a good deal, but I want to flip it in the spring for about $9,000.

Any thoughts?

Might even keep it and sell the 95 HD.

Just something more fun to talk about than flame wars, etc.

By the way if you have not looked, Gary N. is doing better. Wish I could do something for him.

Does anyone know of a Santa icon I can click and paste?

I'm just not sure. I love the Heritage, very nice bikes. Now may not be the best time to do a price comparison but from what I can see, you may be paying what it's worth and getting much more in the spring may or may not be that easy. Here are some Ebay listings of similar models. Some much newer bringing about that same price.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Motorcycles___W0QQMake247a0eZHarleyDavidson76180c4QQModel4710b09ZSoftaile9e2b4ba?_rkw=Heritage

With the high quantity of HD's out there on the streets and every paper you look in has several for sale, I would not get my hopes up in getting top doallr for it in the spring..

Many MORE will be for sale in the spring along with yours if you do this...

That means LOTS of competion...

Just my 2 cents......

Orrin,

Doesn't sound like a money maker to me. As you know, I could have bought my buddies for the same $ but the dealer got it and sold it for less than he marked it up, so unless you could get it for quite a bit less, I wouldn't do it.

And like was mentioned, lots of competition in the spring.

Just my opnion,

Have a Merry Christmas!

Steve

You probably can sell it someday but there are beginning to be alot of Harleys a lot newer around at least this area going for 9500..I have a friend that had a 05 Heritage and listed it for 15000...Ended up unloading it for 10K as there are so many for sale around these parts.That does not mean they are bad bikes,just the market is saturated with guys that bought them and realized that they are not really into motorcycles.I think its a change of life thing but I am no psychologist just a truck driver....which is kind of a bad thing as we have to much time to think.

Guest KitCarson

Hi Orrin: Hey I called Cayce, my buddy at the Harley shop in Summerville. Be aware I do not have clue what this bike is worth up where you live. This price is what retail price a dealer is asking for this model bike.....in South Carolina.

Anyway the asking price would be $11500 dollars, for one in the shape you have described. Locally we also have a little magazine out we pick up in the Quick Stop stores called the Cycle Trader and I did not see any 1996 ones but did find a 1998 listed for $10,500 dollars, by a private party.

As some have already stated, there are a lot of used Harleys on the market. Bunches of them........so if buying for personal use.....I would say $7000 would be a great buy. If buying as an investment or to make money towards a more better one.....!!! If you have the money, and are not in a hurry to sell, yes you can always find a buyer. Might take a bit of time...and I think you can get $9000 for it.....why......because the Heritage is one of the best of the Harley Bikes.......has a lot of eye appeal, for sure at a dealer it will be much higher......and maybe not so many around of that model used to pick from. There are a lot of bikes on the market.....but not so many of the Heritage.........so go to Kelly blue book....use your zip code, find out what the bike is worth in your area......then go one year back. As you are buying a 1996......see what a 95 is worth.....at least that way you at the very worst break even. Another thing.....if you have time, Harley Bikes do hold their resale value........much better than other bikes, yes the market is flooded.....but look carefully at the used ones for sale.....not a lot of them are the Heritage, most are the bigger fat boys....and such, not the more eye appealing softails........Kit

• 2 years later...
In my opinion the HD 80 CI evolution was the best of their modern engines. I'd buy it to keep it and watch the value go up up up. I wouldn't buy for a quick turn around.

I agree but only the purists want those evos these days... Everybody wants bigger and newer now. I think you'd be hard pressed to turn a profit on a 14 year old bike like that. But it is a bad ass bike!