IGNORED

Gravel Roads

Yama Mama

She sits back , holds on to the armrests, closes her eyes, and waits for it to be over.

Because this is a "G" rated site...I'll leave that one alone!

:rotf:

Gravel roads are like grated bridges...you just have to go with it.

Loose gravel is tough...I hate riding them but my Dad is 6 miles down a dead end gravel road.

And of course gravel on pavement corners is just scary!

Before we got the 88 with the intercom we were just yelling at each other.

But I could tell when there was anything I needed to watch for by the way my wife grabbed my ribs!

BUT....that too can be a problem. In the car she has often "gasped" or grabbed at the dash or the "Oh Sh## " handle...and freaked me out because I couldn't see anything going on! It's like " OH NO! WHAT HAVE I MISSED?"

Before we had the intercom she said that I didn't want to hear what she was saying....just a lot of muttering and praying...but now we do have the intercom she likes it....and she isn't bad at all.

Hey sbarnes8478....

I love the fact you have the "Provinces Visited" map on your signiature with only Newfoundland filled in!

That looks like the definition of optimism!

...I love the fact you have the "Provinces Visited" map on your signiature with only Newfoundland filled in!

That looks like the definition of optimism!

There's 2 ways to look at that -

1. I'll eventually get off-island and see some more of the continent

or

2. I'm already in the only province worth visiting....

Hi Peggy!

We live on 1 mile of gravel before we hit blacktop. It's always scary for me, but since I drive my own bike sometimes, I've learned to not say anything because you just have to get through it.

One thing that I've found Gary doesn't mind...instead of saying anything, gasping, etc...

is if I see a hazard or feel he's going to fast around a sharp curve, I lightly, and I mean lightly touch his side. It lets him know I'm concerned about something that's ahead without scaring the bejeezes out of him.

The hubby has always been a more cautious driver than I have been. His eyesight for deer is better than mine, but sometimes, his mind is on other things.

This seems to work well for both of us!

Deb

Shortly after getting back to Loozeeanner I was out on a easy ride on the back roads one afternoon.....Cruising along at 60mph and the blacktop switched over to gravel as I came around a sharp turn.....My "pucker factor" ran right off the scale I tell ya......

Boomer.....who keeps away frum drunken red-headed wimmen and gravel roads.:whistling:

In the car she has often "gasped" or grabbed at the dash or the "Oh Sh## " handle...and freaked me out because I couldn't see anything going on! It's like " OH NO! WHAT HAVE I MISSED?"

I know the feeling. Just got back from vacation towing a camper to Ohio. After the first 2 cities and her looking like a monkey having a fit, when I started getting into city traffic I'd tell her to read her book and don't even think about looking up

I appreciate all the comments. I did not mean to give the impression that I am tense about riding. I really am not, I am really pretty calm and I love riding. I guess since I am a tall woman, and the RSV passenger seat sets you up a bit higher, it gives you a little bit of a different feel than the rider feels. I have become really good at chanting though when needed.

Keep the advice coming, it is interesting.

Yama Mamahttp://www.openroadjourney.com/images/articles/110/gravelroad.jpg

My wife does not ride much with me, she just is not a bike rider. When she has, she did very well. Gravel/dirt roads are still not my favorite, but doable.

I remember when I was young and riding every where I went. I had a Honda 175 street bike. I road it plum up into October or November. I loved to squirrel hunt and would carry my shotgun on the bike under my but sitting on it and go hunting. I also rode it a fishing to. The smell of raw bass on a stringer, laying on the pipes up front close to the very hot motor, still haunts me. I believe I still smell it, pppuuu.

Well anyway I wanted to mention the time that I met someone right after the gravel road (Laurel road) had been graded and I met someone in the very,very long straight stretch and they where driving a Jeep Wrangler (the old model,long one,blue and white). I heard them floor it and came right at me and I had to get close to the ditch and stop. I was on my way squirrel hunting, so I had my old Ivory Johnson 16 gauge. But the dust was so bad that you could not even see for at least 5 minutes in either direction. This was so bad, and I have never forgotten it. I looked and watched for that Jeep and moron for a long time and never saw it again, good thing I guess. But the suggestion to this story is, be very glad you did not meet anyone while on this freshly graveled road. The dust is awful, and people can be morons.

Edited by FuzzyRSTD

Mine just sleeps.

I assume you mean your wife. I tend to doze off too especially at night on the expressway.

One time on the AA Highway in Kentucky, Ron was falling asleep, because it was 2 AM and the road was totally black, with nothing to see along it. That was really bad.

Yama Mama

I assume you mean your wife. I tend to doze off too especially at night on the expressway.

One time on the AA Highway in Kentucky, Ron was falling asleep, because it was 2 AM and the road was totally black, with nothing to see along it. That was really bad.

Yama Mama

Yes, wife. Really bad when on a long trip and she starts that soft snoring coming thru my headset.

I am fairly comfortable on gravel roads, however while riding in Nova Scotia this summer I gained new respect for gravel roads and those who ride them. took a couple side trips to light houses and a small town called Meat cove(purported to be the northern most community in NS. the roads out to the light houses were loose gravel very steep climbs and drops very twisty. found the rear brake was my best friend. Meat cove after a several mile ride in similar steep twisty gravel roads ran into a couple goldwings pulling trailers comming back from there, realized then and there I'm a wimp they seemed to just take the road in stride.

I do think gravel roads are a lot easier than paved roads with just a little spilled gravel at random locations.

If you are even in NS take a trip out to the Cape D'or light and up to Meat cove, gravel roads but the sceenery is spectacular.

hate the poing sounds stones make when they spit out from under your tires as you ride along, I am sure they are taking hunks of rubber ofyour tires

Al

The Mrs. has save us a few times so I definately listen. Two sets of eyes is better than one.

Mine has also.:bighug: But When we got together,:) I told her, her job back there was to wave and smile at every one.:cool10: (she dosent know it makes them think your up to something:whistling:)

Bilko