IGNORED

A case of a LEO being in the right place at the right time

AKRefugee

Last week I was riding home from running an errand at about 430 pm. I was merging from one highway to another. Merge one is the on-ramp I am on going from two lanes down to one. Merge two is onto the highway as a left side on-ramp (three lanes now), and merge three is another on-ramp from the left as well, now making the highway four lanes. This all occurs in less than 1/10th of a mile.

AFTER I reached the end of the two into one, this guy came flying up the shoulder (about 20 mph faster than traffic) on my left, all the time talking on his cell phone, and then went into the left lane of the now four-lane highway. As traffic continued to move, I was being squeezed up to his rear quarter panel when all of a sudden he decided he needed to be in my lane. I started to move to my right but was blocked and had traffic right on my butt, so I could not hit the brakes, so I hit my horn. The talking driver moved back to the left, looked over his shoulder at me, gave me the "you're number 1" sign, and then violently swerved at me.

Fortunately the traffic on my right had seen what was happening and had slowed down to give me room so I was able to swerve over one lane to the right very quickly. The guy then slowed down a bit, then sped up and came alongside me and performed the same maneuver. Again I had room to the right because traffic had again slowed down to give me room, and I went to the right again. By now I am trying to figure out how I can get away from this guy as he was starting to do the same thing again. I wanted to get over one more lane and get to the shoulder to get away from him. All of a sudden there is a big SUV up behind me flashing his lights, and I can see the driver enthusiastically waving me to the right. There was a small break, so off I go to the right. The SUV pulled up between me and the crazy driver, and lit up his lights and siren. Man, was I ever thankful. I pulled over to the shoulder and stopped and watched the crazy driver get pulled over.

I waited a few minutes and then pulled up to the officer and talked with him. I asked him if he was going to arrest this guy for attempted homicide or something, and he said no. When I said that this guy had tried to kill me with his car, the officer said that 1) he did not have a camera in his vehicle so there was no proof, and 2) that he had not actually touched me. Needless to say I was amazed and dismayed by this news and even stated to the officer, "What, the guy had to actually hit me and take me out before you can arrest him for this???" The officer said he was sorry but that was how this worked but don't worry, "this guy would be written up for lots of stuff like reckless driving, improper lane change, failure to yield, distracted driving, and whatever else he could think of in the next ten minutes, because this guy needs to just sit here for a while."

I thanked him and got out of there quickly because I did not want to be around when that guy finally was allowed to leave.

Gotta tell you it was a very scary few moments, and I was never in my life more happy to see a police officer. I have reviewed this incident many times over in my mind trying to figure out if I could have done anything different and strongly believe that I did all I could have done. I monitored my mirror during the first lane merge specifically watching for someone to try to do the squeeze play until the lane was totally gone, and I had to focus all my attention on the next merge. As traffic slowed I tried to stay away from him as much as I could and was watching both him and looking for escape routes. The way that traffic merges there is nuts anyway, with essentially three merges in the space of less than 1 tenth of a mile, and with the beginning of rush hour traffic my options where few. Thankfully other traffic was watching and giving me some room to maneuver. I also know it would not have done me any good to have something to throw at him (i.e. marbles, steel ball bearings, lead etc) because it was happening so fast that all I had time to do was control the bike and work the situation.

Some folks are just plain crazy, and to experience one of those and get away from it intact will make you go "whew".

The one "good" part of the whole thing was that I could see the crazy driver when the officer lit him up, and I will never forget the look of "Oh, crap!" on his face.

Thank goodness for those other observant drivers, too!! Whew!!! :wow:

So glad a cop was RIGHT THERE for you as well. :happy65:

About time a moron had to account for his actions. :cool10:

So very, very glad you're okay and it all turned out well. Good for you for being a good, safe driver!!!:happy34:

Why is it that a LEO's word is good enough to give you a ticket for running a stop sign, illegal turn or something like that...but not for trying to run someone off the road??!!!!!

Now, with a minor slap on the wrist, that person is even more ticked off at bikes.

I wouldn't want to be the next one he encounters!

He should be in jail for a few weeks for "wreckless" endangerment...if you excuse the pun!

Why is it that a LEO's word is good enough to give you a ticket for running a stop sign, illegal turn or something like that...but not for trying to run someone off the road??!!!!!

Now, with a minor slap on the wrist, that person is even more ticked off at bikes.

I wouldn't want to be the next one he encounters!

He should be in jail for a few weeks for "wreckless" endangerment...if you excuse the pun!

The LEO was being practical. I've been to traffic court quite a few times through work and have been surprised by the number of people who get off due to minor procedural errors and occasionally vague proof that causes some doubt. The level of proof would be much higher with a major crime like attempted homicide particularly in this case with no smoking gun and no injury. If the charges mentioned can be made to stick then the guy will have paid a fairly high price for his actions.

I must be missing something. I always thought an officer was considered an "expert witness" and since he was an "impartial third party", it should have been clear cut. Call backup and read him his rights to start his "awakening".

Guest tx2sturgis

Call the LEO's place of employment, (police, sheriff etc), or the agency that has jurisdiction and ask what is involved in filing a complaint. They may refer you to a lawyer.

In a court of law, both that driver and the officer will be subpoenaed. You might have some type of civil or criminal case there.

I'm not a lawyer of course.

Rules of the ocean apply here... If it's bigger than you are, Yield!... You did the right thing...

Hate to drive on interstates, but when I do, the 6 second rule applies... Leave plenty of room between myself and the person in front of me and never try to close any gaps or ever ride in a persons blind spot. If riding beside someone, you can bet he can see me face to face as I stay in the far left hand side of the lane. Don't know how many bikers I have seen moving to the right when someone is passing them or in heavy trafic. I think/know, this is inviting drivers into your lane so I never do it. Also never ride in the far right lane as that is the decellaration/acceleration/merge lane and just isn't my cup of tea. Travel the speed of everyone around me as you can bet everyone is going at least 10-15 mph over in the cities in rush hour... Another thing, I almost never hit cities between 8-9am, 12-1 pm or 4-6 pm. Will stop and get a bite to eat as thats when all the hot heads are out.

Just remember, if it deteriorates into a pi$$ing match...you will lose. Your in charge of your own destiny. Defensive driving/planning is in order...

Another thing if your involved in an accident and don't actually hit the guy that caused it... you may just be in for a surprise depending on which state you are in...

Edited by CaptainJoe

This is why, most of the time, I carry my weapon (on the right) open and easily seen by others on the road. I wonder what he might have done if you where to pull a pistol up and switch it to your left hand. You would have to set your cruise though.

Dumb moron/irate idiotic idiot anyway. Gee wisss..... I agree with the others, the officer's eye witness would /should have been enough. I would check on this. You might save someones life.......

Fuzzy

You should have told the officer you wanted to testify in court.

It would not surprise me that with your testimony and the troopers that he would be seeing a few weeks in jail and a suspended license. I know it would be nice that he gets charged with something more severe, but it's just the way it is.

I just saw this K. Man, I would have been balistic if the LEO did not do what I thought was appropriate. I would have asked the LEO if he had any kids... then would have said what would you want done if YOUR daughter had been on the back...... I really think you need to follow up and even be there on court day to say a few words to the judge when he appears to try and get out of the tickets.....

BTW... OPPPS dropped my plastic water bottle on I-40 yesterday coming home....:big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon: Dang slippery hands....

Drunk Idiot that hit me got to call his buddies and go home free!! TWICE!! For some reason I have a very low opinion of Sheriff's Departments (politicians) Glad you got as much help as you did. He may have saved your life.

I came back to edit this one because there are a lot of good Cops out there but the same deputy has cost me big time in the last 5 years.

Edited by Yammer Dan