IGNORED

getting my trailer project started

Paul

I had a quick question. I am getting ready to start my trailer project and they have the trailer kits on sale at Harbor Freight. here is one with 8 inch wheels for $139

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42708

and the same with 12 inch wheels for $169

Which one should I go with as I have never hauled a trailer behind the bike. If I go with the 12 inch tires will it sit level with the bike?

Any help would be appreciated cause I am not quite sure which would be the best way to go.

Paul

I have the 8" also and don't think it looks weird.

The 3 things are with the 12" tires :stirthepot: it bows down at tongue makes bike and trailer look like a V when you look at it and you get less revolutions and you can get cool rim covers.

I have pulled mine over 50K miles and if you pack the bearings before a long trip and keep your air pressure up you won't even know its back there.

Except when the fender or the brake/turn signal fall off.

Other then that its a great trailer. But do reinforce the fenders and better brackets for the Brake/tail/turn signal.....................Ron

Guest KinkyWinks

Paul, I have built a 8" wheel trailer and didn't like it. I sold it and got the 12" and I'm using the axle, wheels, and leaf springs. Building the rest from scratch. Use only the long leaf of the springs and junk the short leafs or it will be way too stiff. Also, you can make it set level by cutting/angle the tounge when you build it to match your bike. I don't like the looks of the fenders in the HF kit so I'm making my body wide enough to cover the wheels.

Paul,

The 12" will give better bearing life, but I have built trailers with both. The 8" one I did (which Marcarl now owns) has better than 20000 miles on it with no problems. I also installed a set of bearing buddies on it and they work great.

It really depends on the look that your going for, you'll have to decide if the 8" look better with it or the 12".

The 8" tires take less air than the 12" so you don't have to drag as much of that around with ya. Important to realize when you need to fill up with air in Ottawa or Washington. Needless to say, if you don't go to those type of places maybe it won't concern you too much.

Guest KitCarson
The 8" tires take less air than the 12" so you don't have to drag as much of that around with ya. Important to realize when you need to fill up with air in Ottawa or Washington. Needless to say, if you don't go to those type of places maybe it won't concern you too much.
Hi Carl: I got tickled over this comment, that is something like I would say!! Dragging too much air around with you!!:rotfl::rotfl:. I do not know much about motorcycle trailers as I am scared to tow with a bike, love to be free and able to take the ditch if I have to.......trailers behind a bike, just simply scare me to death. But I do know a lot about trailers, I have had as many boats and equipment trailers as Carter has little pills. 8 inch wheels are just simply a constant source of maintenance(normally) especially if you run fast on the interstates. They get hot, extremely hot, and those bearings seem to get hot and push the grease seal out of the back of the wheel, grease becomes like oil and flows past the little rubber seal and makes a mess on the rim. I have tried double seals, super duper space age seals, bearing buddies, and some new oil filled system, they are all a constant source of aggravation. As long as you keep good tires, have never had a problem with a tire, it is always the bearings, and a small wheeled trailer does not track the road like a 12 inch does or even better a 13 inch.

Bigger wheels on any trailer , simply lets the bearings run cooler, you have less grease seal problems and the trailer will track the road much better. If the tongue height is not right, just offset it to make the trailer run level..........if you use a trailer, and use it a lot.......a trailer with bigger wheels is a nice thing to have, it just performs better all around.

My two cents worth......just had to jump in.......love comments like Carls, and carrying around too much air!!!:bighug:

Larry

It is just about ready for primer,but no new pictures.How is the trike project comming along?I was trying to get it into primer before Christmas,but spent all last week in the hospital.Jerry M

Slow golng here as well. Life getting in the way of getting much done.

Getting parts and stuff ordered and ready for installing is about all I've done except for cutting the body to fit over the rear end.

just recieved all my tubing for the exhaust system this week too.

Hope your hospital visit wasn't too serious.

Later, Larry