IGNORED

Another kind of "religion"

revinger

Figured that would get the attention.

Anybody on here a serious or semi serious jogger. I may be in the minority given the quantity of meet and eats that get mentioned on here. I am trying to keep the taX man from collecting those inheritance taxes as long as possible, or making sure thereon be anything left for them to collect.

I have became more serious exercising after having somebody I thought was significantly older than me and much heavier finish ahead of me in a 5k only to find out we were in same age bracket, Ouch. Plan on dusting him next month.

Besides being in shape has to help for the long rides.

Bob

Marshall, il

To live in Vancouver, BC, one has to be a jogger .... there are so many people out and about downtown during the day ... and those bicycle couriers who ride on the sidewalks ... I'm constantly JOGGING them all !!

(jogging = sidestepping) :sign20:

I am in shape, round is a shape.

In 1986 the science fiction magazine Analog published following:

A lion wakes up each morning thinking, “All I’ve got to do today is run faster than the slowest antelope.”

An antelope wakes up thinking, “All I’ve got to do today is run faster than the fastest lion.”

A human wakes up thinking, “To hell with who’s fastest, I’ll outlast the bastards.”

I am like the 8th slowest antelope, I plan a week ahead.

:sign I win:

Gary

I used to run regularly, when I was a full time fire captain. And when I was in the Air Force. Now I'm a full time....... well nothing:cool10:. I don't have a job anymore:happy65: and do my best to get out of bed before 10:00 AM. Now the only jogging I do is in my sleep:draming: and sometimes I wake up tired so I know that the jogging works.

All kidding aside ... when I was younger (40 and under) I could run very well but since then I've not been physically active in that way and I've continued to be a smoker and it has really taken it's toll on me. I can't walk very far anymore without my legs and hips getting extremely wore out and sore. I wish I had stayed active and stayed off the cigs.

If "you" still have it in you to get out there and jog ... do it!

I jogged in my younger days but started to have pain in my right hip area. Turns out I'm not built "quite right" so I turned to bicycling. I can wear myself out every bit as well on a bicycle while getting to see a lot more scenery...and now that I'm older, the occasional flatulence gives me an extra "burst" of speed.

:rotf:

Andy

Yeah but my grandfather was a farmer, Lived to 85 self sufficient to the end, my dad is 90 Sharp as a tac even with having an a-fib Induced stroke and still living on the property he wD born on next to where grandpa kicked the bucket 48 years ago.

I have abused ankles so get well cushioned jogging.g shoes and so far have avoided crunch knee syndrome. I'm 50, I might go tomorrow but the undertaker will have to Chase me down.

Bob

Marshall, il

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I jogged in my 20s but not since. Lots of docs say it's very, very hard on your body (knees, ankles, etc.) but I do try to walk at least 20 mins or more per day. I know that's not nearly enough and, 10 years ago, I'd never ever have been this sedentary and would have been disgusted at myself being so sedentary but things change.

Mike works nights and takes the car so I'm home by myself from 3:00 in the afternoon every day until 6:00 a.m. or so the next morning. In the winter, that gets really old really fast. I've got lazier and more sedentary but it's boring to walk alone (I used to do it when I was younger) and I just don't care enough any more to force myself to get up and out and moving when I have nowhere to go, ya know?

So I do try to walk every day but jog? I'll never jog again, especially after breaking my ankle last fall.

Of course, when I was a kid, I always said I'd kill myself if I ever got this fat so... yeah, things change!!!!:yikes:

Anybody on here a serious or semi serious jogger.

Bob Marshall, il

My wife Brenda and I run as often as we can. Our travel often prevents a regular schedule though. We were in Australia for two months and ran 6 miles two to three times a week. We're in Russia now and will be here for four months. Looks like we'll have to make do with the elliptical trainer in the apartment we're using.

Running/jogging/aerobic exercise all have great benefits. Keep it up.

Lynn in Saint Petersburg, Russia

14 years of playing baseball as a catcher took its toll on my knees. Its hard for me to jog, but I did play league softball till a few years ago. I quit at 43, I played till I had to change the way I played because I couldnt do it like I knew I should be able to anymore. That being said, I gain 20 pounds every winter and lose 10 every summer. So besides being about 30 overweight playing softball, I've gained another 20. So I see a stationary bike or an eliptical machine in my not so different future.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - at least that's what my son's high school cross country coach used to say. He got me into running about 10 years ago. I'm now 58. I've done a couple of half marathons and plan to run the Marine Corps Marathon this October with my daughter (she's 25 and quite fit). I'm up to about 30 miles per week. I like 5 mile runs because it takes me 2 miles to go numb. It's good therapy - for the mind and body.

The only time I run anymore is when it is a matter of life and death.

The people that know me also know that if you see me running, don't ask questions or even bother to look around, just try to keep up cuz something bad is near.

Where I work I have one test lab on the 4th floor and one in the basement and my office is on the 3rd floor. I do a lot of laps between the two labs and always take the stairs. The only time I use the elevator is when moving a large piece of equipment. There are 22 steps per floor. That is the bulk of my activity. My other workout is every morning pushing my 1st gen backwards up a grass hill to get it out of the shed.

I have done two half marathons this year and it was tough. I started jogging during the winter and was doing pretty good till I hurt my arch on right foot. So I have been riding my road bike and tuesday morning 6 miles out I got run over by a 130 pound saint benard and went to the er. Now I can't power walk jog or ride my bike.

Just do small increases in your jogging and don't over do it and you need to know what your body is telling you as you jog more. Just take your time and your times will come down.

Hope this helps

Richie R

Guest Swifty

We all remember how we used to be ...I was the second fastest cross country runner in my high school. The last couple of years I'm just try to keep in shape enough to do some hiking in the summer. Last year my best climb was Laasen Peak. Last week I climbed Wheeler Peak, 13,063', the second highest one in Nevada, and my personal highest. Next week I'm doing the Grand Canyon. You're right about one thing...Venture riding meet and eats make it difficult.

I have cut a bunch off my mile times just In The last two months by going to a 5 dAys a week run or bicycle and taking 2 rest days. Some days I go out and just plod 4.5 miles, halfway point is a cemetery :) at least two days I do a 5k with a pace to try and improve times, and I mix some bicycle riding in.

I work from home so have to get out of the house in evening for sanity. Some nights I even have time to ride the venture after I cool down from exercising.

It's just about 13 miles to my parents, not sure I would run real half marathon but would like to run the distance to their place at least once.

Bob

Riches r my sympathy on tangling with the st Bernard. I went for a 35mph flight a little over 20 years ago, launch vehicle was a cm400t, launch cause was a#@$@@ dog. Hit and went down. Still remember counting the helmet strikes on the pavement. No broken bones, felt like I was run over by a steam roller and my ankles looked the worse. Soles were normal color, rest of feet up to above ankles were dark purple.

That is my main cause of abused ankles. I have 0 tolerance for aggressive dogs to this day and am thankful for the judo and taekwondo I have. I tucked and rolled when I knew the bike and I were parting company.

Bob

I had a doctor ask me once what kind of exercise I got.

I told him I get out and ride my 5 speed bike every night.

He said that was good.

Then I exlained about the 1 down & 4 up - 5 speed bike.

He did get a chuckle.

Gary

Ever thought of backing downhill into the shed and driving up the hill on the way out?

Curiosity eh? :big-grin-emoticon:

I have to power up a curb to get into the shed, It is much easier to push it backwards down the curb and then up the hill.

All of this exercise talk got me thinking again. I know that is dangerous.

I used to play racquet ball 3 times a week in different leagues till I broke my foot 15 years ago, and just never got back into it. I was riding past the racquet club last night and wondering if I am still capable of playing maybe once a week. I used to be fairly good at it.

It would give me an excuse to run without someone having to be on the verge of dieing.