IGNORED

Back Rest Weigh-in

TDunc

OK,

Been riding an 06 tour deluxe with Mustang seat that had integrated backrest. Bought a Midnight Venture with a standard seat. Cant ride but an hour or so before I am really feeling the need to lean back.

I like the way the Mustang was adjustable and laid down.

What backrest do you have or prefer and why?

:feedback: :feedback: :feedback:

Thanks in advance all.

Signed,

Old Hurtin' Back

I liked the Utopia back rest on both my RSTD and My RSV. I found them reasonably priced high quality and comfortable.By changing the shaft I was able to take the one from the RSTD to the Venture.They worked with the stock seats the Yamaha Studded seats on the RSTD and the Butler Mod seats.It is easily adjustable even while riding.

Up until about 3 weeks ago I never had a backrest. With my stock seat, 2 or 3 hours riding and my butt would start going numb .... longer than that and my back would start being sore and I found that I was constantly tensing my leg, torso, and arm muscles so a long day in the saddle would leave me pretty stiffened up and sore by the end of the day.

I looked at Utopia and Diamond R backrests and chose the latter simply because they had one available and could ship right away.

I am amazed .... no, AMAZED at the difference it has made. I am able to ride all day long without any of the above mentioned issues and surprisingly, I find I have much better control over the bike, especially at slow speeds.

I would think that you'd be happy with either the Utopia or the Diamond R product.

I have a Bakup Backrest that I used with the Stock RSTD seat. Really liked it. I have switched to Venture Pillow Top seats and need to modify it to work with those, Although riding with out it after having it hasn't been a real issue for me. I need to contact Bakup and see if can get just the venture bracket and add my backrest with out having to buy a whole new separate one. The Bak UP is nice and well made. Not that easy to adjust while riding though, particularly if you where gloves.

RSTDdog

I have the Utopia on stock pillow seat and along with the LDcomfort shorts I learned about here, can ride all day in comfort. Will not ride with out a backrest in the future - best investment you can make.

Mike has a wicked curve in his back and prefers to ride WITHOUT a backrest, which I love 'cause it gives me more room!:happy34: He drove ours with the backrest and found it pushed him forward so we removed it and he loves it now. Works for me!

So what kind did he remove and would he be interested in selling it?

So what kind did he remove and would he be interested in selling it?

The standard back rest with the detachable purse/pouch on it. You can see it in our pic of the bike and the few pics I'm attaching here. I can ask him if he'd like to sell it if you're interested.

I have a pillow Diamond R on mine. When I first got it, it pushed my back to hard. So a little heat and bending on the attaching bar and wallah, I have room for the adjustment to work. I can set it foreword or back depending on what I wear. Love it, wouldn't ride without it.

Mike

I have a Mustang seat on my 2006 RSTD with a quick remove backrest. The seat doesn't quite fit me right, but Rick Butler & I are talking about an adjustment on the seat when he gets back from tour. When I first started riding the TD it was OK with the stock seat. I thought, then Phoneman1981 insisted I try his Mustang seat with back rest & now I don't want to ride without it. So of course I bought it from him. He knew how I would like it.

Soooo, not having a backrest on bike #2, I ordered a Utopia for my 2000 RSV MM which sort of a problem with the cream colored seats. But no problem with Utopia as they had the matching color backrest. I was disappointed when I ordered the backrest that it would be 5 weeks until it was made & shipped. But I decided to wait it out & in the meantime Phoneman1981, Lee, Babe & I went to VR International Rally in Cody & In a 10 day period I rode 1800 miles with no back rest. Had some pretty achy times on the long runs. Well the seat arrived & I got it put on over the weekend & took a short ride to town tonight to have dinner with Phoneman & Lee. Babe thought the backrest was going to be in her way when she first got on, which it wasn't.

LET ME TELL YOU IT WAS LIKE RIDING IN A HIGHBACK SEAT IN A SEMI TRUCK. I NOW HAVE AN EIGHT HOUR OR MORE RIDE BIKE!!!!

I can't imagine riding without the Utopia backrest ever again. The cost was a little high but worth every penny. I think I saw somebody else say the same thing about another backrest.

What ever you do buy a good backrest & get it on your bike. It will be the best investment you can make in your bike for comfort.

C Ya, Patrolman46 :bobby:

Edited by Patrolman46
added some comments that fit

• 2 weeks later...
Up until about 3 weeks ago I never had a backrest. With my stock seat, 2 or 3 hours riding and my butt would start going numb .... longer than that and my back would start being sore and I found that I was constantly tensing my leg, torso, and arm muscles so a long day in the saddle would leave me pretty stiffened up and sore by the end of the day.

I looked at Utopia and Diamond R backrests and chose the latter simply because they had one available and could ship right away.

I am amazed .... no, AMAZED at the difference it has made. I am able to ride all day long without any of the above mentioned issues and surprisingly, I find I have much better control over the bike, especially at slow speeds.

I would think that you'd be happy with either the Utopia or the Diamond R product.

Glad to see you like it!! :thumbsup2:

I know I had similar notions with mine. Very apprehensive at first but have been extraordinarily happy ever since I put it on. My only complaint with them is that it is harder for the passenger to comfortably sit close and hold on tight... One of them finds a way to do it anyways so all is not totally lost :smile5:

Mike has a wicked curve in his back and prefers to ride WITHOUT a backrest, which I love 'cause it gives me more room!:happy34: He drove ours with the backrest and found it pushed him forward so we removed it and he loves it now. Works for me!

You do know it is adjustable???:confused24: