Hey fellows, I am a first time poster with a problem. I have an 87 Venture that keeps fouling out the rear plugs. I beleive they are cylinders 1 & 3. I recently purchased this as a project and boy is it one. I need direction. I have checked the diaphragms and slides, no issues. I put new plugs in the rear and it ran like a scalded dog for about 20-30 miles but has slowly degraded back to a backfiring, two rear cylinders only, beast. When I first got the bike the two rear exhaust gaskets were worn completely out, pipes slid back and fourth inside the exhaust manifold.

Any help would be appreciated and if this has been covered before I apologize. I have searched for old post's regarding this issue and could not find any.

Thanks,

Hi Dagget,

Boy, for a first time poster, you really came on board with a doozer of a question.

You say this is/was a project bike and you have changed out the rear plugs several times. Have you also done the Seafoam treatment?

I would suspect that you probably still have the factory original spark plug wires. So, the first thing I would do is replace the spark plug wires. You can either make your own, or purchase a set of ready mades.

Then, the next thing would be to tune the carbs. Not quite sure where you are located, but with any luck you may have a member close to you that has a carb tuner and can work with you on getting the carbs tuned.

I'm sure other's will be jumping in here shortly with some other suggestions, but right off the bat, these are what I would be considering.

Thanks Jerry...........

Just got back from Ohio last night. Did I every tell anyone how much I hate Cleveland? :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Cincy ain't much better in my book......... :stirthepot: :stirthepot: :stirthepot: but, being in Ohio, there should be several folks relatively close to him.

Merry Christmas to you and your's Jerry..........

Hi Dagget,

I would suspect that you probably still have the factory original spark plug wires. So, the first thing I would do is replace the spark plug wires. You can either make your own, or purchase a set of ready mades.

Then, the next thing would be to tune the carbs. Not quite sure where you are located, but with any luck you may have a member close to you that has a carb tuner and can work with you on getting the carbs tuned.

I think you hit the nail on the head Rus. Rear carbs are running rich either becasue they are out of sync, or bad wires and caps...??

Firstly Welcome

What about the float levels on the rear carbs. Or maybe the mixture screws have been adjusted improperly.

Just a mechanical avenue vs the Electrical.

Mr. Owl you were so close but yet you did not stop by.

BRad

Hey fellows, I am a first time poster with a problem. I have an 87 Venture that keeps fouling out the rear plugs. I beleive they are cylinders 1 & 3. I recently purchased this as a project and boy is it one. I need direction. I have checked the diaphragms and slides, no issues. I put new plugs in the rear and it ran like a scalded dog for about 20-30 miles but has slowly degraded back to a backfiring, two rear cylinders only, beast. When I first got the bike the two rear exhaust gaskets were worn completely out, pipes slid back and fourth inside the exhaust manifold.

Any help would be appreciated and if this has been covered before I apologize. I have searched for old post's regarding this issue and could not find any.

Thanks,

I believe I would be looking into the carbs floats. Sounds way to rich. You can try Sea Foam first and see if it helps but usually if it is running to rich then it's floats or air jets and Sea Foam doesn't clean the air jets. After the Sea Foam treatment remove air box and squirt carb cleaner into those air jets and then pull slides covers and squirt some into the jet in there. You also need to take a compression check as if the rear pipes were that loose for very long you may have burned an exhaust valve. I'm about to leave for Michael's Billiards in Fairfield in a couple of minutes so if you read this and want to talk about it I'll be there the rest of the evening.

Dick

One thing to look at is the pigtail connection for pick-up coils. Bad connection will cause one or two cylinders to misfire. The pigtail is on the left side of the frame by the seat. while your at it check all your connections and use electrical grease to help keep moisture out.

buddy

The other thing to check would be the oil level in the crankcase. It should only be halfway up the glass, no more, any more than that you'll be shooting oil up into the breather right between carbs 1 and 3 so that might also give you some problems.

And this is with the bike sitting on the center stand.

I know you said you checked the diaphragms so you are saying you see no holes when you hold them up to a bright light? And as noted check the spark plug caps as they have a resistor in them that can get corroded and breakdown.

RandyA