IGNORED

Computer help

Bubber

I have a need.

I want to post word files on our server at work and I want to secure them so people cannot print out the document/file.

I want them read only and no able to print.

Does anyone know if can be set-up to do this???

If yes I will need specific instructions because....lets just say I am not as computer literate as I would like. :doh: :rotf::rotf:

I have a need.

I want to post word files on our server at work and I want to secure them so people cannot print out the document/file.

If yes I will need specific instructions because....lets just say I am not as computer literate as I would like. :doh: :rotf::rotf:

Not sure if you can prevent from printing but ...

Go into Tools | Options | Save and you will see where you can apply a password for opening and/or for editing.

BUT...that won't keep people from printing them. To be honest, I don't think there is a sure fire way to keep people from printing anything on the screen. You can disable right click and etc. but there are just too many ways to do a screen capture that would defeat anything you try to do.

I have a need.

How many documents you have, or is this an ongoing thing.

If you don't have a DVD full of 10,000 of them I could lock some down with the version of Adobe I have. It would turn them into a PDF format, can lock out standard printing and even require a password to open.

Screen shot of security settings below.

But as mentioned, if it is on my monitor, I can copy it, don't care what it is. It's even built into windows 7 now, called a snipping tool. Though if it is copied this way it is a picture, not editable text.

Gary

You can PRINT anything that you can read on the screen simply using the Print Screen key.

So there's really no way to stop anyone printing. It may not be formatted correctly but then all they have to do is OCR it and they have the same doc. Basically what your asking is not possible.

I have a need.

While it may involve a few steps check out PDF995 Signature (www.pdf995.com) a free program might fit your needs.

Make documents .pdf files and the encrypt them with PDF995 Signature.

See the attachment for what you can restrict.

Used this for years and works very well.

OK now that I am a little smarter let me refraze the question.....

I don't want them to print it out as a word document. I need to control the documents per our Quality System. That means that no outdated revisions can be in use.

My thought was if I can prevent them from being printed I have a good shot at controlling them. My original thought was I don't want them to be able to print them. My new and improved thought is "if they can print them (picture due to screen PRT) I can't prevent that. But I can prevent them from printing an outdated "Word" document by coverting it to a scan or PDF. That way I controll the latest revision when the get modified I create a new scan and delete the previous scan. Does that make sense? :rotf:

Am I on the right track here boys?????? :doh:

Whether it is printed from the original old word document or a PDF of the old document the print will look the same.

What you can do is once a document is revised, you can then password protect the old version so that no one can even open it without permission. If people need access to old revisions of the document you can add a watermark in big bold letters across each page that says something like "NOT THE CURRENT DOCUMENT" or just "OBSOLETE" or "SEE NEWER REVISION" these would then be saved as a PDF. This way the docs are still viewable and printable but it will be obvious to anyone that it is not the current document.

Yes this can still be defeted by someone that is good with computers but it will take a dedicated effort on their part, it would never be bypassed by accident. If someone does intentionally mess with company documents that is a real cause for disciplinary action, termination and even possible legal action. (Depending on the circumstances of course).

In other words you can prevent accidental release of documents but you will need to spend a lot of time and money to prevent malicious intent.

I used to be invoved with the QS9000 quality control documents in my department.

We had several "authorized" binders (one in each work station or pulpit) with hard copies of proceedures available for reference.

We did not disable the ability to print out the online documents because Some folks like to follow along instructions on a paper rather than on screen.

But Employees were directed not to save personal print outs and were accountable to the current proceedures.

Then when new proceedures or revisions were released online , an authorized person would go to the binders and update the paper copies and employees would "sign off" acknowledging the new proceedures (generally once a week)

Edited by Trader