IGNORED

Salvage Title??

Yammer Dan

How much does a salvage title hurt a vehicle?? I've been looking for a older truck for a 2nd vehicle. Friend offered 08 Ranger w/44k for $6500. Didn't really want one that new but... This thing was rolled and rebuilt. It looks like a new truck. Super sharp!! Awlsome job on it. About what would it be worth and what does the salvage title hurt later?

The biggest drawback I see is the resale issue. But if you are like me, drive 'em until they drop ....... no big deal. If you are comfortable with the current owner and trust the work that has been done I'd feel ok with the purchase. A salvage title in my eyes is always a bargaining chip in the buyers favor to beat on the price.

I have seen a lot of nice bikes that were salvaged titled and as that goes, we know a lot of body damage can total a bike and not harm the structure. Cars and trucks I have more concern with due to the weight and structural twisting in a rollover.

You get a solid history on the truck and trust the seller ...... it might be fine.

Then again.... if you have problems later on, a salvage titled vehicle can be a bear to get rid of.

:2cents:

Mike

A salvage title is to warn you that the vehicle was in a serious accident and generally for insurance purposes means the vehicle was totaled. Even though the repair might look good, there are serious doubts as if it would fare as well if it were ever in a second accident. In some cases the repair can be so shoddy that the vehicle may be a death trap and literally fall apart while driving it. Other salvage titles can be from flooded vehicles that are an electrical nightmare and a breeding ground for all sorts of bacteria etc.

That being said, not all salvage vehicles are disasters but the value is indeed greatly reduced. You will have to decide for yourself but myself I keep away from such vehicles...

Hey Dan,

I am having the same issue with the insurance company of the young man that crashed into my 87'VR recently. They want to Total my 87' because the plastic parts are not available from Yamaha any more. The trunk in the Elegant/Birch Brown for the 87' Model has been the hardest part to find. If you plan to keep this truck "till the wheels fall off", then that is one thing, but I can assure you that in a few years, because of the temp. extremes, vehicles in the area that you and I live in, is not going to look nearly as sharp as it does now! Not to mention, with your recent luck with vehicles, I personally don't want you riding around in a truck that is held together with bondo and chicken wire!

Resale value could be reduced by as much as 1/2, which means that from the moment you buy it, it will be a $3500.00 truck. Check with your Ins. Company, some won't even insure Salvaged vehicles. My company will not. (That is why I am fighting so hard to not let the Ins. Company Salvage the title on my 87'VR!)

Just my thoughts, for what they are worth.:confused24:

Earl

Been wondering about you Earl. How is the back?? I'm sure you will find parts to fix the bike. I don't think I have anything that would help on that one. Let me know if I can help. I got goosed again and haven't been paying much attention to site last couple days but I ain't going nowhere. Wouldn't give him the satisfaction!!

This truck is super sharp. Couldn't get Blue Book to come up to tell me what 08s are worth. This thing looks new. Haven't found anything that is wrong with it yet. Going to check closer and try it out good.

I'm with Earl on this ... I was reading the thread thinking 30% ... he said 50% so a figure in there somewhere would be about right.

The real problem is that doesn't always reflect what a bike is worth to YOU ... Length of ownership would be a factor. If you plan on keeping it until you, or it, drops you may pay a bit more, especially if the expensive parts are still in good condition .... But there is no shortage out there.

If it was repaired properly, it may be OK. I agree that it really does hurt the price but it sounds like he has it priced a good bit lower than KBB already. I just checked and a 2008 Ranger with no additions, just the regular cab, 4 cylinder and 5 speed..NO options added, comes out to $9,065.00 in good condition. So if it is a fairly basic truck, he is getting close to 1/3 off that price already. I think that is still a little high for a truck with a salvage title but I don't know how it is equipped either.

If I was 100% confident that it was repaired properly. Frame is straight and not TOO much mud was used to repair it, I would want to buy it at no more than 2/3 of the KBB price and to be honest, I would rather get it closer to 50%. I had a friend in Texas who was in the rebuild business. I've owned 3 or 4 vehicles that he rebuilt and they had salvage titles. I always bought them cheap enough that I got my money out of them after driving them for a year and even made money on them a couple of times.

It is a risk though and even though he was good at what he did, they weren't always as good as they looked.

My other bike has a salvage title and like others have said if you know what the damage was and it will not affect your safety I say go for it, if you decide to sell it you probably will not get much. Some insurance companies will not insure or will charge more for a salvaged vehicle. The rules vary state by state so you may want to do some research at the DMV. Once a vehicle has a salvage title it will always be salvage. There are two types of salvage title rebuildable and non-rebuildable in SC I would think other states have similar types.

1. check with your insurance co. to see if it can be insured

2. take a magnet (low strength refrigerator type) and see if it sticks to all outer edges roof top quater panels fenders hood(you said it rolled) if it does'nt stick...indicates BONDO!!! If the repaired right, they would have replaced the steel body panels...

The thing that would worry me the most is the wheel alignment.... if the frames bent, you'll go thru tires quicker than toilet paper...:mo money::Avatars_Gee_George: