IGNORED

bike cutting out / missing at WOT

Today while making a pass at wide open throttle (Not sure what gear but probably 3rd) I noticed the bike starting to miss or cut out just like I was hitting the rev limiter, but I know I wasn't even getting close. So when I had the chance I tried it again but this time from a dead stop and it did the same thing again in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. A friend following said the pipes were blowing black smoke and we could smell it.

Now I normally am a pretty conservative rider so this may have been coming on for a while and I just didn't notice it till now. Even today the bike ran fine other than this WOT thing.

It's an '06 (just out of warranty of course) and it's got just under 50,000 miles. It starts and idles fine. I'm thinking possible fuel pump problem but the pipes are really black and sooty so maybe plugs breaking down or some other electrical issue? Any ideas?

Edited by Gary N.

The usual questions will come up, as when were plugs last changed and gapped? When was fuel filter last changed? etc etc..

For my limited knowledge on this bike, my first perk would be "is it spark fouling at higher temps or could it be fuel issues at greater demands at that upper range?"

Start with the simple stuff first, ya never know.. But the more savvy of the lads will prolly have a more tech answer for you that might be more problem specific..

Hey Gary, You still have the knee blockers on ? Check to be sure one of the poly blocks didn't get sucked into the air box. Don't ask me how I know this ...:doh::rotf::rotf:

Well after changing out the fuel filter, which needed doing anyway, the bike didn't run any different. So Buddy, since you suggested the above fix I took a look and sure enough the foam block on the right side had got sucked in the air box. Weird or what? I think a little double sided tape might be in order to permanently fix that issue. Thanks for the tip.

Your fuel filter needs to be changed.

Goose

Thanks for the suggestion Kent. That wasn't the problem, but it got me off my butt and out there in the shop to finally R&R that darn thing. Your directions to remove the old one in another post were great and much easier then the first time I did it. I did the relocation mod so now I don't have an excuse for not changing it on a regular basis.

Well after changing out the fuel filter, which needed doing anyway, the bike didn't run any different. So Buddy, since you suggested the above fix I took a look and sure enough the foam block on the right side had got sucked in the air box. Weird or what? I think a little double sided tape might be in order to permanently fix that issue. Thanks for the tip.

I used "automotive GOOP" to affix the foam blocks to the shields and never had a problem with them slipping off or being ingested..

My vote you need Yamaha carb cleaner to fill all carbs let it sit for 2 days full of Yamaha carb cleaner drain and drive. When sea foam doesn't fix Yamaha carb cleaner will. Best fix short of carb overhaul.

I can't believe this. This is the same problem I had with the knee blockers. I un-installed them.

:farmer:

If you put a couple of pieces of Velcro on the blocks and then on the knee blockers that won't happen. I didn't know it was happening till it happened to me. :whistling:

Now I include 2 small strips of Velcro just for the poly blocks.

Or you could do as Gary suggested and use some double sided tape and attach them to the knee blockers.

I've never heard of this problem. What the heck are the knee blockers?

They're a great little wind deflector that attaches to the lowers just above the air box to keep wind and rain off your knees. Made and sold exclusively by our own Buddy Rich.

I've had my 1st. gens miss at full throttle sometimes, but this was caused by water in the gas. The fuel tank vent on a 1st Gen is right in front of the rear tire. When you are riding in a heavy rain, water can be sucked up the vent hose and get in your gas tank. Then it'll collect in the bottom of your carb bowls. When you open the throttle, the water can get sucked into the main jet and....water doesn't burn so the bike misses. With todays gas, (with 10% alchohol) the water will gradually be absorbed within a couple of gas tanks. With the gasoline we had 20 years ago, you had to drain the water out. In additioin to the gas tank, it collects in the fuel filter. When I'd pull the fuel filter and use a hose to blow into it, you would see water drops in the gasoline on the ground. When you would drain the carbs, yoiu could see the water coming out of the drain.

Frank