I had one, but bongobob has already claimed it. It came along for the ride when I picked up the 1300cc engine in Southern Cal. Bob want's to put a sheepskin cover on it.

Rick- I never had the oportunity to try that seat out. It came in a box with the '87 parts, and didn't match the bikes colors all that well. have you had any luck finding a new home for it. Ebay it maybe??

Jack

Its long gone. I sold it to a fella that saw it posted here. Drove it out to him...saved some postage but cost us more in gas! Heck, any excuse for a ride. He popped it on and could touch the ground again....seemed like a happy camper to me.

I lost a total of about 30 bucks or so...dang customs ate 22 bucks then the couple of bucks for exchange. So I did alright.

• 11 months later...

I have both uppers and lowers on my 86 Venture. I have dropped the bike and broken the plastic screws on one of the brackets but easily found replacements. I put them on to give my passenger more wind protection. Also, when it is hot it is nice to turn them to catch the wind and direct them onto my legs.

The disadvantage I found was that the lower set prevented me from using my cruising pegs so I often leave them off.

I also added a Laminar Lip to the very top of the windshield. I am short enough to look under it so it isn't too annoying. It pushes the wind up high enough to give my passenger a better ride.

I have had 2 VR's with the wings. The 91 had damage from the wings, the 89 does not, but probably would have eventually. Took them off, now just have the holes. I'm with you, the potential catastrophic damage to the fairing is not worth the slight increase in comfort. Have seen a lot of these fairings with the whole area broken out from the wings. Its a shame really. No thanks, not worth it.

I have had 2 VR's with the wings. The 91 had damage from the wings, the 89 does not, but probably would have eventually. Took them off, now just have the holes. I'm with you, the potential catastrophic damage to the fairing is not worth the slight increase in comfort. Have seen a lot of these fairings with the whole area broken out from the wings. Its a shame really. No thanks, not worth it.

I kind of agree. My buddy s goldwing has flat metal pieces that attach to the frame and come out between the plastic they hold well. I wa thinking bout trying to fabricate I dont think I want to mount it to the flimsy plastic on these bikes.:confused24:

• 3 weeks later...

I have the upper and mid ones on my Venture. I have dropped the bike but not damaged the Air Wings. Unless I have a passenger I usually leave the mid ones off as they prevent me from using my cruising pegs.

I found that the round knobs some times loosen and have dropped an Air Wing on the road. I went to the hardware store and got knobs that were not round and can be tightened securely without much effort. They were an improvement and I haven't dropped a wing since.

" I'm with you, the potential catastrophic damage to the fairing is not worth the slight increase in comfort."

This is a weird thread, how it started a year ago and just picked back up again! Back in about May I went thru all these arguments myself. But I live in Tucson (hot), and had received great recommendations for how they scoop air on the rider when open and went for it. Actually, I got to ride my buddy's GW1800 with a full compliment of wings. Regarding the quote above, I see the point certainly, but take issue with the statement of "slight increase in comfort". These babies make all the difference in the world when it's hot! They are nice closed in the cold too, but hot is what gets me around here, and the big fairing cuts off sooo much of the breeze which we motorcyclists love to feel when it's not cold out.

I only bought the main wings, no lowers or anything. The lowers could be nice but would surely get in the way of hiway pegs. More on that later. (The lowers would also tend to scoop warm air off the radiator; don't know how that would work.) I would be happier if they mounted to frame rather than plastic, given the propensity of the fairing to crack. I gave my fairing significant reinforcement with good-sized galvanized sheet metal pieces formed to fit, then JB welded thoroughly to the inside of the fairing at the mounting points. No problems so far, but no bike-droppy yet.

I'm 6-2 with 34" inseam and the wings do affect hiway pegs. I hadn't nailed down my optimum config of pegs yet, so I got the wings and figured I'd work around them. I have Markland hiway boards, but made extension bars to move them forward an extra 8". Adjustment is a juggling act between:

1) Boards low enough to avoid hitting my shins on the wings

2) Getting my legs out straight enough to be happy.

3) Getting the boards out to the side enough to put feet on them around fairing.

4) Keeping the board mounts high enough so as not to drag in corners. The boards themselves are the first thing to touch down, but they pivot up.

I now have the boards in a place that makes me happy. I can bump my shins on the wings, but can avoid it if I pay a little attention.

When I bought mine they were in the process of discontinuing them for our bikes. They only had chrome brackets, no black. Contact them directly to see if they still have some.

Jeremy

• 7 years later...

I know it was a long time ago, but on your 1st gen bike and the baker wings, how were they mounted to the bike? Did it use just a plain old screw, or was some type of backing installed?

I have a 84 and as the sole owner, I figured I would start adding accessories now that I am retired and have time to do so.

We haven't added anything except running lights in the 31 years we have been riding.

I know it was a long time ago, but on your 1st gen bike and the baker wings, how were they mounted to the bike? Did it use just a plain old screw, or was some type of backing installed?

I have a 84 and as the sole owner, I figured I would start adding accessories now that I am retired and have time to do so.

We haven't added anything except running lights in the 31 years we have been riding.

Attached find the instructions for mounting the Baker Air Wings to the Venture Royale.

Baker no longer sells complete Air Wings for the Venture Royale, but replacement parts, ie. the arm brackets specific for the Venture Royale ARE still available from Baker. The rest of the components that make up the complete Air Wings are generic. Replacement Parts

Air Wings, ABA-26HCD-32-00, Installation Instructions.pdf air wings, Install Instructions.pdf

Edited by Prairiehammer

I am 6'1" my knees do hit the bags at times,But I like them so much I deal with it, My legs have never touched my wings when using my hi-way pegs. I have the Venture wings which mount the same way. Been on my bike for over 85,000 miles with no fairing cracks..Love my wings, wind out when cold and wind in when hot..

DSCF2880.jpg