IGNORED

Lucky I caught my windshield as it was flying off

dogman

Yesterday while riding on the Highway I noticed my windshield was getting closer to my helmet, then I saw the plastic chrome piece lifting up and my windshield was lifting up. I eased up on the throtle and put my left hand up to hold the winshield in place when it broke free from my fairing. I was lucky and had a grip of it and pulled over without a miss hap.

The one screw holding it solid to the fairing was off and inside my fairing. One screw was lost and the others where still screwed in but the windshield just pulled out since they are open ended slots.

I was lucky, and I have never understood why Yamaha only made one connection for the windshield.

I was lucky, and I have never understood why Yamaha only made one connection for the windshield.

WOW ... never heard of that before. I've never understood why any bike mfg would utilize nothing more than plastic on a mounting point especially when there might be a lot of stress against it. One would think they'd reinforce those areas with metal or something.

However, your post just reminded me of those "good old days" when we forgot to close the hood properly and it flew up and completely blinded yer vision of what's ahead LOL

That was close for sure. When you put it back put some blue loctite on the screw threads, to keep them from backing off in future. Any parts store, Canadian tire and most hardware stores carry it. Loctite comes in blue (medium strength), Red (high strength for bigger bolts) and green (bushing and shaft mount). Make sure you get the blue ( medium strength) If you use red or green it may be difficult to undo in future.

That was close for sure. When you put it back put some blue loctite on the screw threads, to keep them from backing off in future. Any parts store, Canadian tire and most hardware stores carry it. Loctite comes in blue (medium strength), Red (high strength for bigger bolts) and green (bushing and shaft mount). Make sure you get the blue ( medium strength) If you use red or green it may be difficult to undo in future.

Careful around the plastic with Loctite ... didn't I read somewhere that it will damage plastic???

EDIT: heh ... I got beat to the punch on this one LOL

It's very possible that it was not installed properly when the dealer did the initial set up. Several folks here found that out upon there first time spliting the fairing. Including myself. Mine was held on with two screws, all the rest were underneath the windshild not through the windshield. Everyone should check there's if you've never split your fairing before.

Do not get any of the Loctite on or even near the ABS plastic.

:sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that:

What he said. Loctite will dissolve any ABS (and many other plastics) that is even near it.

:sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that:

What he said. Loctite will dissolve any ABS (and many other plastics) that is even near it.

Oh yea,you don't need loctite. Just snugg down the screws and all will be good in the world.

OOPS :doh:.. Sorry I forgot about that part. When I use loctite near plastic I put a small drop in the threaded hole,(the flat end of a tooth pick works great for this) instead of on the bolt (and a small drop is all you need, too much in a blind hole can cause hydraulic preasure.) this way the loctite is moved ahead of the bolt rather than dripping off the bolt onto the plastic. Do this before assembly, no need to rush loctite only cures after assembly, in the open air it can sit for days, so carefully take your time. As extra insurance you can even place a small square of masking or electrical tape, with a small hole in it, over the threaded hole, to act as a seal around the bolt threads.

WOW! Good catch Dave. Glad you were able to stop safely and not loose your windshield. Many years ago, I lost a windshield in a bad storm. It was actually blown off from a blast of wind and rain caused by an oncoming truck and in my circumstances (stuck in a passing lane), I had to keep on riding - with no windshield. Not a good experience.

If you feel you really need something to help hold the screws in, Loctite does make a formulation specifically for plastics. ( I dont remember the number off hand) It also is a low strength for metal screws.

The other thing that works well is RTV on the threads.