IGNORED

I just ruined my windshield

Today I cut down my stock windshield to 12". I was very happy with the height on my test ride, I looked through it but could still sit up higher and look over it for the rain. I then decided to try and buff the scratches out of it and it seems there is a film on it that I ruined. Now the shield is useless. Has anyone had any luck looking through the show chrome shield, is it clear enough. Kinda frustraited now, but I have no choice but to find a new shield.

Today I cut down my stock windshield to 12". I was very happy with the height on my test ride, I looked through it but could still sit up higher and look over it for the rain. I then decided to try and buff the scratches out of it and it seems there is a film on it that I ruined. Now the shield is useless. Has anyone had any luck looking through the show chrome shield, is it clear enough. Kinda frustraited now, but I have no choice but to find a new shield.

Don't give up yet. I remember reading about some who had removed the film and polished the underlying windshield. I can't remember how it was removed, but I'll look around and maybe someone else will chime in...

Found this post with lot's of info. Maybe it will help. It looks like you need to determine if you are working with the factory coating that has been ruined and you may be able to remove it with duct tape? Seems like you've not got much to lose at this point, I would give it a try!

http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?p=313571&highlight=windshield#post313571

The film is probably the UV protection.

Polish it all off now. The screen won't last as long, and will scratch more easily, but you will get good use out of it.

Besides, it's no longer the bit you look through.

When I cut seven inches from mine, Mrs Twigg remarked that I had cut off the only bit that was clear :D

thanks for the replies everyone. I took the advice "I have nothing to loose" and I lost. Now I MUST buy a new shield. I tried heat and things didn't go so well. The show chrome windshield is 1" taller than the one I cut but wider as most of you already know. I am short so I will be looking through it. I am open to suggestions as I need to order soon. I don't mind looking through as long as I can sit straight up and look over it, that was what I was trying to achieve.

Edited by 54chevybelair

Are you going to Cody or is someone near you going. I cut down my stock windshield and goofed by making it about 1" too low for me. I could bring it with me.

I can get it to North Branch MN if that helps.

thanks everyone, I just got off the phone with a friend that rides a 06 RSV and he hasn't used his stock shield for years so he gave me a good deal on it. I will try once again to cut it down but I will not polish it again.

Thats one heck of a good friend you got there. You should be nicer to him.....:)